A 'how to' on Building Wall Cabinets for your guitars (Long)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MrAstro, May 20, 2015.

1. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

@nbtrue asked for some details on how to build some guitar cabinets. I thought as long as I’m digging the information up I may as well post it for everyone’s benefit.

The Cabinets are made from Tasmanian Oak which isn’t a true Oak. It’s an Australian hardwood that’s easy to come by, relatively cheap and is often used for furniture. It’s a lot harder than cheap pine. They were finished with several coats shellac and a coat of wax although you could use anything. Inside the cabinets I have very black ‘carded’ velvet ie. velvet that has been glued to mat board. The mat board is the same stuff artists use for borders around their paintings.

Pictures follow:

Checking the sizing of the cabinet on a bit of black car carpet. You can see the slot I've routed for the back panel at the bottom of the cabinet carcass.

[​IMG]

Pile of Tassie Oak for eight cabinets. Just ignore the CO2 cylinder for the beer fridge - the bike tyre is hanging on my beer taps :)

[​IMG]

Checking the back panel fits properly.

[​IMG]

Plopped a low profile "String Swing" into the shot just to give an idea of how the cabinet will work.

[​IMG]

Two 'french cleats' to hang the cabinet on the wall. It's a bit hard to see but each cleat angles back at 45 degrees. Maybe the shadow on the right hand cleat gives some idea of the hidden 45 degree rake on the wood. When it comes to hanging the cabinet you place an opposing piece of 45 degree timber on the wall and the two 45 degree surfaces lock together. The cabinet will sit flush to the wall and you won't see how it is hung.

There are two cleats because that gives me a choice of which direction the door will open when it comes time to hang the cabinet.

[​IMG]

Test fit of the clear acrylic door - it's white because I haven't peeled of the protective film yet. I'm using Hettich overlay hinges - I'll show some pics of them next time.

[​IMG]

A pic showing shellac finish on one of the cabinets. Haven’t put cabinet makers wax on it yet though.

[​IMG]

Some (pink) 1.5 x 1 metre Mat board for attaching the velvet to using spray contact adhesive. This is the same stuff that picture framers use and is essentially uncorrugated 2mm cardboard with a textured face. It is 2mm thick. It's pink because it was half price and you can't see the colour through the fabric -so the colour doesn't matter.

[​IMG]

A pic showing the velvet glued to the mat board.

[​IMG]

Cut-outs in the mat board for the hinges - the shape was a bit tricky - you have to use a stanley knife to cut mat board - it's too thick for scissors.

[​IMG]

Sticking the carded velvet to the cabinet using double sided tape.

[​IMG]

Velvet lining installed - ready to mount the door

[​IMG]

Finished display case - ready for mounting on the wall

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics of the finished cabinets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

Here are the dimensions for the glass panel.

All dimensions are in millimetres. This is revenge for all the plans I've seen over the years from the US that were in Inches :)

@nbtrue

[​IMG]

nbtrue and Clyde Billt like this.
  3. De - Fre

De - Fre Supporting Member

Great job. I really like it. Thanks for the mm ;)

MrAstro likes this.
  4. Clyde Billt

Clyde Billt Member

Great post man!

The cabinets look fantastic.
    A fair bit of work but the results are really top notch.

Nice one Mr A

BTW my brother-in-law, who is an amazing joiner, says that people that measure, measure in mms

MrAstro likes this.
  5. deejaid

deejaid Supporting Member

Very nice looking cabinets :aok

MrAstro likes this.
  6. pbmw

pbmw Member

That Sir, is really nice work, and a Great writeup

MrAstro likes this.
  7. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

Tasmanian Oak? What the heck's the matter with you? Everybody knows among the genus Quercus only Swamp Chestnut Oak provides the clarity and low frequency definition discerning musicians demand. And those acrylic doors, are they true bypass? Didn't think so!

Bush league I tell ya, bush league!

Okay, seriously, those are frickin' fabulous.

MrAstro likes this.
  8. nbtrue

nbtrue Supporting Member

Hell yeah!!! You're the man!!! Thank you so much!! Those look fantastic!!! Now I gotta figure out if I have enough skill to build those myself haha!!

MrAstro likes this.
  9. nbtrue

nbtrue Supporting Member

Might be a dumb question, but do those hinges keep the doors shut by themselves?

MrAstro likes this.
  10. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Nice Cab's! But you can only look, not play.
    This is not nearly as pretty. But this works, when you just want to reach out - and touch someone...
    [​IMG]

MrAstro likes this.
  11. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Glad you like them - my pleasure. Woodwork can be relaxing - just take it slow and easy.

Yeah - they are sprung - they are like kitchen cabinet hinges and probably that's what they are designed for - glass panels in kitchens.

Well no, I just open the door reach in and pull them down - they are really easy to get at. I use them a hell of a lot more than when they were in guitar cases.

I like your guitar collection though - very nice.

nbtrue likes this.
  12. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

Are the corner of the boards just held together with wood glue?

Definitely bookmarking this for a future project. Thanks!

13. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

No I used biscuit joints at each corner and also on the two cross members ie. the french cleats. Hopefully you know what I mean by that.

nbtrue likes this.
  14. RTR

RTR Supporting Member

Very nice work! I might just have to build a few of these for the bedroom. Right now I just have them on String Swings. That looks so much nicer!