A humbucker with 250K pots?

Figaro

Some guitars that have single coil and humbucker pickups use 250K pots.
How much do the 250K pots affect the humbucker's output?
Does it affect the total sound or just the high end?

Last edited:

Szabo Wabo

I tried this with a Duncan '59 to tame the ice pick highs. It mostly worked. Rhythm tones were amazing, but the leads still had a bit too much bite. More to your question, I didn't find it affected output noticeably, and as far as tone, I only noticed a change in the top end.

Last edited:

Mincer

Generally, it is the highs. Are you trying to affect the highs or total output?

Lewguitar

A 250K pot tends to sound like a 500K pot turned down to 8 or maybe 7.5.

Depends on the taper and all that.

But that should give you some idea.

Reactions: rsm

buddastrat

The SD JB sounds fine with 250k pots ins a HSS set up IMHO.

Not to my ears. It's terribly nasal, congested pickup and to add a 250K with it, is awful. Had a CS Fender like that, was so bad. Sounded like my guitar had a big, loud, cold. I read that for years about a JB and a 250K..., if people would use their ears and not their eyes to read it...

There was a video I was watching on YT where a guy used one in a strat and then a 500K, was much better with a 500K. Same thing 250K w/JB sounded like a toilet flushing.

I did run an EVH or other low output buckers with 250K and that's killer. Warms them up but doesn't make them nasal.

lemonman

Silver Supporting Member
A 250K pot tends to sound like a 500K pot turned down to 8 or maybe 7.5.

Depends on the taper and all that.

But that should give you some idea.

That's true for the tone pot, but the volume pot does not work that way. You can load a 500k pot to act like 250k by soldering a 470k resistor across the input and output leads.

Lewguitar

Not to my ears. It's terribly nasal, congested pickup and to add a 250K with it, is awful. Had a CS Fender like that, was so bad. Sounded like my guitar had a big, loud, cold. I read that for years about a JB and a 250K..., if people would use their ears and not their eyes to read it...

There was a video I was watching on YT where a guy used one in a strat and then a 500K, was much better with a 500K. Same thing 250K w/JB sounded like a toilet flushing.

I did run an EVH or other low output buckers with 250K and that's killer. Warms them up but doesn't make them nasal.

Seymour himself uses the JB and Jazz in a Tele with 250K pots. So he must like the sound.

I've used the JB with 250K pots and with 500K pots.

It's far from being my favorite pickup but I do like it better with 250K.

In a S/S/H Strat with 250K pots it's OK.

Not a bad choice for that situation.

Figaro

So for a guitar that has a neck humbucker and a neck single coil, is it really much of a difference to use 500K pot with a 470K resistor going to the single coil than just using the 250K pots?

And if 500K, do you also use a 500K for the tone pot?

Last edited:

buddastrat

Seymour himself uses the JB and Jazz in a Tele with 250K pots. So he must like the sound.

I've used the JB with 250K pots and with 500K pots.

It's far from being my favorite pickup but I do like it better with 250K.

In a S/S/H Strat with 250K pots it's OK.

Not a bad choice for that situation.

Horrible. I'll find a few clips....Nasal, and awful with singles.

buddastrat

I'm a fan of Jeff Beck...but not of the JB pickup. ;)

Here's the guitar I had, from Fender, and it sounded like this too, just murky, and congested with no highs, with the JB bucker/250K. It's not that it can't sound good, but the whole rig needs to be changed up and then the singles won't be as nice. I've had JBs with 500K and much more clarity and open sound.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom