A humbucker with two Tele bridge pickups?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by LightSpeedMangler, Apr 30, 2015.

1. LightSpeedMangler

LightSpeedMangler Member

This might be in the wrong forum, so let me know if it is.

I was playing my homemade Telecaster, and thinking about the bridge pickup, and wondering if there has ever been a humbucker that uses two Tele bridge pickups instead of the standard two single design?

Is there a company that could make one in a custom shop?

2. Mreilander

Mreilander Member

While two modified strat single coils can be placed site by side to occupy a bucker slot, two side by side tele bridge pickups require too much real estate to fit in any standard slot. Also, placing single coils in close proximity of each other drastically changes their output characteristics because the coils independent magnetic circuits interfere with each other (a typical humbucker has a single magnetic circuit).

3. LightSpeedMangler

LightSpeedMangler Member

Alright, thanks.

I figured the size would be too impractical, but I just wanted to ask

4. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Pete Biltoft would be a good guy to contact. I think he can design something to capture the tonal characteristcs that you want while working within certain size parameters.

Vintage Vibe Pickups.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

6. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

I think the Gibson Nighthawk sort of tried to do that as well. When you use two Fender-ish coils for a humbucker it usually makes for a very dark pickup. I reworked a dead Wide Range reissue humbucker a few years ago with two el-cheep-o tele bridge pickups. They were not wound as hot as stock Tele pickups and the resulting pickup didn't sound too bad.

7. walterw

+1

i rigged up a RW/RP pair of fat '50s strat pickups into a bridge humbucker for a guy; loud, but weirdly dark and boomy.

also, very microphonic! just having the two pickups sitting next to each other in a strat pickguard hanging by their adjustment screws didn't cut it; i guess the slight vibrations of one coil got picked up by the other coil, causing problems.

i ended up fitting a thin layer of rubber padding between the two pickups then strapping a zip tie around the pair pulled tight; seemed to do the trick, but the experiment was still kind of a failure, he never gigged with the guitar.

8. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

I've got a Nighthawk and that is what Gibson apparently tried to do. It splits extremely well, much better than most 'buckers, so they got that part right. Wouldn't say it sounds like a Tele, but certainly can fill that sonic niche. As a full humbucker it's pretty metal. It sounds like they compensated for the mud with a huge magnet.

9. walterw

i think it's still constructed like a regular 'bucker, with steel poles and one bar magnet underneath, as opposed to individual alnico magnet slugs like fender pickups.

10. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

I'm going to have it open to install a longer lead at my next rewire and general overhaul and will know a lot more about it then.

I think the individual magnets would work better and be closer to the dual tele concept.

It does work for me, as it is.

11. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

This isn't exactly what You had in mind, but I did incorporate Two Bridge Pups w/ Baseplates in the design and used a 4-way switch to have them both in Series if You wish....Very Humbucker like in series, and excellent Quack when combined normally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member