A Jazzmaster Q

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teddy boy, Jun 23, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

I've been wondering about purchasing an AV'62 Jazzmaster Reissue. I have previously owned a CIJ Jaguar and I remember that I had a problem hitting the strings off the saddles. It also had a "sloppy" feel. These both could be cured by an increased string break angle at the bridge. Is there anyway to accomplish this on a JM? An extra part that would pull the strings down after the bridge or something?

best,

Tom

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes, it's called a Buzzstop, and is available from most of the usual parts dealers (certainly Allparts, I haven't checked any others). It fits using the two front screws on the tremolo assembly, so no modification is needed to the guitar.

The Jazzmaster has a much tighter feel than the Jaguar anyway though, because it has a 25.5" scale, not 24". You may find you don't need the Buzzstop.

FWIW, I gigged an all-original '65 Jaguar for several years, and cured the problem with a radical set-up - saddles as high as possible on the bridge - and by widening/deepening the saddle grooves slightly on the low E and A strings (vintage heresy, I know ;)).

I actually have a spare Buzzstop available, if you need it :).

3. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

yes, you have several options, a buzzstop is the part that is fitted on the trem that increases downward pressure on the strings. or you could drop in a mustang bridge, stew mac sells a compensated mustang bridge that seems like thew best replacement bridge for a JM

good luck!

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks guys! So it could work! That's great. I like my guitars set up really tight and I think the buzz stop could be the way to go whether I decide to get one. Cheers!

John, I'll PM you if I need that buzz stop!

5. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I've had both Jazzmasters and Jaguars- I had that problem of strings popping out of the saddles. The former owner of the Jazzmaster had installed two Floyd Rose string trees between the vibrato and the bridge. I hadn't heard of the Buzzstop back then.

[​IMG]

6. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Depending on your string gauge and how aggressively you play, a good setup with a shim may be enough. I don't have any problems with .011 or even .010 strings.

Failing that, the Buzzstop works for a lot of people and is reversible, although some players find it changes the feel of the trem too much.

The next stop is usually Mustang/Graphtech/Tusq saddles or filing notches in the stock saddles .. some even go so far as the ultimate vintage heresy: using a tune-o-matic bridge. ;)

7. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I'd try heavy strings (at least 11s) and a good setup first, then a Buzzstop. I've never had string popping issues with my AVRI (nor did I with my CIJ JM.) I played Pyramid 11s on both.

8. Grap

Grap Member

I use a Buzzstop & 9's on mine. 9's were unuseable before I fitted the Buzzstop, strinsg popping off of saddles left, right & centre...

I once fitted it with 13 gauge Fender flatwounds. No buzzing problems then, no string bending in standard tuning either! At least not after I bent a note three half-steps on the G string and seperated my LH ring fingernail :D

9. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks alot gents. Much appreciated!

I'm also a little concerned about the stock AV pup's. What are you're experiences with them? Am I going to need to change to SD's?

10. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

I think it's generally agreed that the AVRI pups aren't too bad. The CIJ pups are narrow bobbins, more like a Strat pup, and sound a bit thin compared to proper JM pups.

If you do want to replace your pups then SD Antiquities, Novak and Lollar are all well thought of.

11. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

I have the string saver saddles for Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Mustang on my MIJ Jazzmaster. It's the best of both worlds with a single groove deep enough for the string like the Mustang saddles and individually adjustable pole pieces like a Jazzmaster/Jaguar. I used to have issues with the stock saddles and 11s, but no more, no buzz stop needed.

12. Mixoso

Mixoso Silver Supporting Member

I have a MIJ Jazzmaster that I love, but to get it really gigable I added the aforementioned buzzstop and mustang bridge AND I added a regular fender string tree on the headstock to keep the D and G string ringing true and it made a huge difference. I added seymour duncan " Hot for Jazzmaster pickups and now it is just a fantastic guitar. I always loved them but was frustrated by them and now I am in heaven. OF course in 20 years some guy will post on here " some idoit put an extra string tree on the jazzmaster I just got at an estate sale" but I am willing to riski it it since making these changes moved the guitar in to my permanent collection!!!