A JTM-45 Clone story.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tnrose, Apr 8, 2008.

1. tnrose

tnrose Member

I was in my local shop today and came across an amp that had no markings on it but resembled a JTM-45. So I inquired the staff and they said one of the employees that does most of the amp repair/mods at the shop built it. I talked to him and he said he gigged with it for a couple of years but was now selling it.

I didn't get a chance to play it today, but will go back soon to do so. I was just curious what kind of questions I should ask concerning this amp. At $600, if this thing works well it would be a great deal

2. Flux

Flux Member

Ask what brand of transformers he used.

3. tnrose

tnrose Member

What brand should I be looking for?

4. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

heybour, mercury magnetics, ceriatone

Ask the builder if he will offer any warranty on the amp.

Also see what kind of tubes it has. JTM-45's have Kt-66's, so there could be some quality glass in there.

Good luck, I love these style amps.

dk

5. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Heybour and Hammond are fine.Mercury Magnetics are a little better and a lot more money.JTM's run KT66 and 6l6 or el34.The classic tone was the kt66,but they sound great with 6l6's too_Other than that,ask to see the board and chassis.Look at the solder work.If it's real neat and tidy and all wires are only as long as they need to be,you're probably doing ok.The main thing is to play it.If you like it,buy it.Just remember that circuit doesn't sound like a modern amp.It might seem a little dark to you and maybe not as much gain as you'd expect.At that price,you don't stand to lose much if you sell it.

6. tnrose

tnrose Member

Awesome man. I'm definitely looking for something with some like crunch, and I definitely don't mind it being a little darker

7. Flux

Flux Member

If he works on them, it's not unlikely that he's upgraded amps and is using the spare parts. The 'Iron' is the most expensive components in an amp, plus, everything else is easier to swap as well. But don't get too hung up on brand names, if it sounds good, it is good. I've heard amps made from salvaged vintage parts that sounded really good. Also, ask them to open it up so you can see how clean the workmanship is, but I expect it'll be good - fixing amps can be tougher than building them, and almost as much work.

8. tnrose

tnrose Member

Cool. It seems like a good deal...now I just need to find a cab.

9. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Whatever cab you get,put scumbacks in it.Marraige made in heaven.

10. tnrose

tnrose Member

Who makes those?

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

TGP member Southbay Amp Works

12. tnrose

tnrose Member

I'll check them out...I need something relatively cheap though...

13. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

You probably could find a RockyTop JTM 45 clone on TGP for $750.00, and get a killer clone with resale value. IMO they are as good as any 45 clone out there.

14. tnrose

tnrose Member

Well, I played the amp in discussion a little earlier today and....man...that was nice. It sounded very, very nice. The guy explained to me how to daisy chain the two inputs...that was very cool. Man, I'm definitely going to buy this.

I had him open it up and the work looked pretty good. And did I mention it sounded good? Took all my dirt pedals very well, too.

Now...to just sell the Hot Rod...

15. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Weber builds them for a guy named Jim.

16. ford

ford Supporting Member

Yes, a much cooler sound to my ears than the Hot Rod.. especially overdriven. Congrats on finding a cool amp.

rock

bford

17. tnrose

tnrose Member

I replaced the tubes in the Hot Rod, but still...this JTM-45 clone sounds great.

I see you're from Houston...have you ever been to Fuller's Vintage Guitar? I was there last year around this time and bought my last guitar there...they had some nice stuff