• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

A lighter smaller amp that sounds like a Super Reverb

wingz9

Silver Supporting Member
Is this possible? I still haven't heard any amp that has cleans as nice as a super reverb but I play at home mostly and a 4x10 is overkill. Is there an amp with reverb and trem that anyone has played that reminded them of the cleans on a super reverb but in a smaller 1x10, 1x12, or 2x10 combo? I've never played one but does a Vibrolux get close?

Thanks

e???

4-10's is a big sound. I don't think less 10's in a lower wattage will get you there. Look for 12's or 15's in the fender style. Anything above 18 watts

redeyedjim

If you're open to a boutique amp, the Fargen Blackbird circuit sounds gorgeous and is available in various configurations, including (I believe) 20w and 40w options. I have a 2005 Fargen Dual Classic, and the Blackbird channel of that amp sounds very Super Reverb-like. I don't know if Ben did any 1x10 Blackbirds, but you wouldn't have any trouble finding one in a 1x12.

Jimmy MAck

A Vibrolux Reverb is 35 watts of output, and the Super is 45. The VR will still be too much. I have a friend with one. he can't enjoy it at home because it is too loud!
Get a nice Princeton Reverb. They are great (Fender) tone machines. I have played several at GC lately, and I am very impressed. I'm glad i already have one at home. It is great at lo volumes, and I use it for gigs as well.

swiveltung

Is this possible? I still haven't heard any amp that has cleans as nice as a super reverb but I play at home mostly and a 4x10 is overkill. Is there an amp with reverb and trem that anyone has played that reminded them of the cleans on a super reverb but in a smaller 1x10, 1x12, or 2x10 combo? I've never played one but does a Vibrolux get close?

Thanks
Nope.. but we wish. A Pro might get you close if you upgraded the output Tranny, but then It wouldn't be much lighter. I've had 3 V'lux's and none of them sounded anything like a Super Rev.
Maybe you could get closer by larger filtering a V'lux like a Super, and putting a 45 watt output tranny in it, and a larger choke. Then the only difference would be 2 speakers and the Mid control. But 4 x 10 is 4 x 10.... nothing like it.

FFTT

Yup, Vibrolux Reverb is the way to go.
Of course if you're going vintage, you'll see VR's considerably more expensive than the Supers simply
due to portability.

wingz9

Silver Supporting Member
A Vibrolux Reverb is 35 watts of output, and the Super is 45. The VR will still be too much. I have a friend with one. he can't enjoy it at home because it is too loud!
Get a nice Princeton Reverb. They are great (Fender) tone machines. I have played several at GC lately, and I am very impressed. I'm glad i already have one at home. It is great at lo volumes, and I use it for gigs as well.
Of the Princeton reverbs which one do you like better the 68 custom or the 65 reissue and why?

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Of the Princeton reverbs which one do you like better the 68 custom or the 65 reissue and why?
Definitely the 65 reissue. The custom 68 is modded to overdrive more and have too much bass.

Geetarpicker

I'll point out that the basic circuit is similar between the Black and Siiverface reverb models including the Deluxe, Vibrolux, Pro, Super, & Twin. There are even a few others that are much less common such as the Bandmaster reverb head, Vibrosonic, etc. They all even use the same eyelet board, signal caps, etc. Some have a middle control, but some have the same EQ circuit with a fixed mid position, EQ wise. The Princeton Reverb however doesn't have vibrato at all, and has a significantly different phase inverter stage. Still at lower volumes (like bedroom volumes) these amps are ALL obviously from the same breed tonally. It's when they are pushed that the the headroom differences become apparent and the same can be said for the cabinet/speaker/power differences etc. Ok all that to say my suggestion for a Super on the smallest scale would be a 1x10 Princeton reverb, but if you also need vibrato and perhaps a more gig worthy rig step up to a 1x12 Deluxe reverb.

Last edited:

wrxplayer

Gold Supporting Member
Alessandro Rottweiler. 35 pounds. Very Super Reverb-y. Good reverb. No trem though. Great amp.

I suspect David Allen would make an amp that fits the bill also.

wingz9

Silver Supporting Member
If I was to go the Princeton reverb route would you just get the 65 reissue or would it it be worth it to get a Vintage Sound 15? Has anyone compared a Vintage Sound to a 65 PRRI?

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
This question gets asked every few months and the answer is nothing.
A Super has a combination of specs that make it unique and legendary.
If there was something smaller and lighter that sounded like all the big, heavy, really loud amps we love than TGP would be all over it! The problem is great tones come from big iron, big tubes and lots of volume.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
If I was to go the Princeton reverb route would you just get the 65 reissue or would it it be worth it to get a Vintage Sound 15? Has anyone compared a Vintage Sound to a 65 PRRI?
I've owned both. The VS 15 is a better handwired amp but I wouldn't pay the new price and would try to find a used one, probably around $1000 to $1200. The PRRI is a great value used for around $700 but if you have the extra $, get a VS. I recommend a VS 20 if you're going to gig with it.

mlj_gear

I always loved the idea of the Princeton Reverb, but I eventually realized that in almost all applications, I think that the Deluxe Reverb sounds fuller and better, and it's not that much bigger or heavier.

An Allen Old Flame 1x12 would be quite a bit smaller and a decent bit lighter than the SR, and it is based on the SR. Also check out his Encore, Accomplice, and Accomplice Jr. All can be ordered with 6L6s if that is the sound you like best, and the Accomplices would be much smaller and lighter.

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
Smaller? Lighter? It won't happen, especially with tubes. It would still be too loud for home. I'd go to a modeler. The Mustang III v.2 is capable of great blackface tones, it's light, and sounds the same at any volume.

Trending Topics