A littel help with an ANALOGMAN MINI CHORUS

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spiritofeden, Feb 23, 2008.

1. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I just got an ANALOGMAN MINI CHORUS with mix knob. As soon as I plugged it in the effect loop on my amp (BRUNETTI MILLE) I happend to hear a little distorion mainly on high E string. I plugged the effect to the output of the amp and I got the same effect and did other experiments with another amp (ENGLE) with the same results. Then I discovered the internal trimpot. I started to turn it but I only discovered thet the best spot was right the one I found opening the case. So I still get that little distortion if I set the mix all the way to the right. Does anyone had the same problem? How did you solve it? Maybe there's something I'm missing...Thanks...

2. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

I don't know anything about your amp, but I can tell you that this effect is NOT designed for a line-level effects loop. It's designed to go through the front of your amp--I've asked Mike this question myself...

3. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

That is right, pedals don't usually work well in line level loops. It will work better at higher voltages though, 16V is optimum, see my chorus page for more info. Good luck!

4. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Thanks Mike, but I'm running all my modulation effects in the loop of the amp and I can't put the chorus in front of it. Will running the mini chorus at 16V while in the effect loop solve my problem? Would 12v be good anyway?

5. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I plugged the chorus to the output of the amp running it at 12v (don't have a 16v at the moment) and I must say that it sounds better but I still get that little distortion effect. I also noticed that the pedale boost the signal rising the volume. Is there any way to solve both problems without having to connect it in front of the amp? If the answer is no I think I must let it go even if it sound amazing...

6. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Most pedals are not designed to be used in an effects loop, so even at higher voltages there is still going to be a noticable difference in tone.

7. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

The only thing I can think of is that you are setting the mix knob all the way to the right - that does boost volume. Keep it a little more centered for unity gain. If you only want the chorus pedal to be a WET effect because it's in a parallel effects loop, there may be a way to kill the dry signal by lifting a leg on a chip or something. Let me know if you want to try that.

Sounds like 12V helped, 16V will help even more if you can try that (PP2+ line6 output turned ON will give 16Vdc).

Good luck!

8. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Even when the knob is in the center I get the boost. Anywhay I gave up the loop and plugged the chorus after the output of the amp. I'm a little concerned about the fact that I have 2 loopers on the way in order to help me to control all my effects (both before and after the amp). I hope it won't increase the distortion problem once again. I must try the 16v option but what do you mean with line6 output turned on?

9. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

There are dip switches on the bottom of the PP2+...turn the corresponding L6 output switch to the on position so you can run the AM Chorus at 16VDC.

10. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Ah ok! My mistake PP2+ is the VL power supplier. I don't have it...I'll try to find another way to power the MC at 16v. Honestly I'm going crazy, I confess I'm on the verge of selling it. If I had known about the fact that it was designed to be ran in front of the amp I would have never bought it. It's a shame I'm getting all these problems because it's the best chorus I heve ever had but I hate to lose all this time. On the other hand I think I'm not the only fool liking a chorus after the amp...I've just compared once again the sound of the pedal at 9v with the sound at 12v and to my great surpries I couldn't find the difference...Maybe the MC and my amp do not get along well...

11. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Hey spiritofeden, most pedals are designed to go in front of the amplifier. That's the difference between instrument level and line level...rack effects are designed to be run in amplifier effects loops, mixing consoles, patchbays etc.

The only effect boxes that I know that can be run at both instrument level and line level are the new Eventide TimeFactor and ModFactor...there is a switch on the back to set the level you're running the pedal at.

I use to have an Analogman Mini Clone and it sounds great in front of the amplifier, just mess with the trim control and the mix knob until you find the right balance for your amp. Good luck.

12. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Ok I know about line and instrument level but it's the first time that I buy a pedal and have such problems. The only pedals that I like in front of an amp are Compressors, Wha, Phase/Vibe, OD, Boost. I like everything else after the sound of the amp (not necessary in the loop) and I don't think I'm the only one to see it this way. I like my clean amp sound with a bit of chorus on the top and I can't imagine to run a Delay or a reverb in front of an amp! I know lots of people prefer it but it's not my taste. On the other hand I've had lots of choruses before, like CHORALFLANGE, RETROSONIC, MXR, and I had NO problems in running each of them after the amp, never ever. So if the mini clone is not designed for that I will let it go because keeping it would mean redesign my pedalboard architecture and honestly I can't afford it. Think I'll go back to the retrosonic or try the Liquind Sky.

13. ljdsam

ljdsam Member

I'm surprised to read this - surely if you have a decent valve amp the last thing you want to do is stick any pedals other than a wah and boosters in front of it, everything else should be in the loop after the drive.

Has anyone got any experience with the Moen Holy Choir, by any chance?

14. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

I bet if you asked around a bit you'd see that most players use their pedals in front of their amps. It's been that way for many years as most amplifiers never used to and still don't have built in effects loops. I run all my pedals before the amp and it sounds great as long as you have the effects placed in the correct order. Guitar tone is a very subjective thing so what sounds good to me might not work for you. Just sharing my thoughts.

15. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

You're right lifeinasong, it's subjective and each one of us has his own habbits...I'm still undecided about what to do...

16. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member