A little advice please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jlynnb1, Jan 26, 2012.

1. jlynnb1

jlynnb1 Member

Ok, so the details. I play mostly worship, and noodle in hard rock/shred for fun.

i'm not a pristine clean kind of guy, i like pushed cleans and great drive tones (although i get to use those drive tones 20 percent of the time). thus i always gravitated to channel switchers when i wasn't toying with the 11r and axe ultra. over the couple of years i've had Budda, a couple of Bogners, Egnaters 3 or 4 times, Genz Benz, etc. Although I liked almost all those amps, the only one I miss is the Budda. I was going to just get another one, but I've started to like od pedals more and more (used to hate them). The thought always being I had to have a great drive channel.

I have an Eggy renegade head and 2x12 now, and though it sounds great it's a beast to carry, and like I said, I only get to use the gain channel at home or every now and then in my reg gigs. So I've been using drive pedals in the clean channel already pushed into breakup.

I'm to the point where I want just a good single channel pedal platform, preferably el84 for the voxy side of things, that will also handle higher gain pedals occasionally (riot, plexitone, dirty bomb, bb, etc). I love everything I've read about the Morgan AC20, and I'm really leaning towards that....but am I really gaining THAT much over say a tweaker head and combo??

Although I've been playing for a long time and have had tons of gear, the od pedals and a single channel amp is new territory for me, and I'd really appreciate the help....thanks!

2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

If you want voxy, but to also really get high gain stuff, I would look at a speaker than can for that well, like a vintage 30? Getting a Vox to do metal just doesn't normally happen, but you can try get close with the right pedal, guitar, and speakers.

3. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Just to clarify. You want Vox clean? Not Fender clean? And you want the amp to take pedals and you don't want to break your back?

4. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like a Budda Twinmaster or SD30 to me...

5. jlynnb1

jlynnb1 Member

more Vox slight breakup, i never run an amp totally clean. i'd prefer to back off the volume a bit if I need it

6. jlynnb1

jlynnb1 Member

7. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

What about?:

Rebel 30
    Dual Terror
    TA-15