A little Christmas debate, please

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mcdonaldkd, Dec 23, 2009.

1. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

I am about to install a set of GVCG/Lollar PUs in my HW1 Tele (Sunburst). As long as I have the hardware off, I was thinking of giving it a little relic treatment (Hydrochloric Acid fumes). Your Thoughts?

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

I don't have anything for you on the relic treatment, but I can attest to the fact that the GVCG/Lollar pups are may favorite Tele pups.

3. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

Personally, I think the "relic" treatment is hideous. I'd be ashamed to be seen playing a guitar like that. I mean, if you wore it out yourself, that might be a little different. Hardworking starving artist, and all that crap. Adds character, somehow. But, you can see a fake relic from a thousand miles away, and it just makes the player look like a vapid poser.

But, there's no accounting for taste. Clearly some people like it. Fender is willing to take factory seconds and drag them behind a pickup truck down a bad road for a mile or so, then add $500 to the price and get it.

4. ducatisteve

ducatisteve Member

I'm calling it now, this will quickly descend into a rabid pro-relic/anti-relic thread. Be that as it may, I'll throw it out there that I'd be willing to bet that 95% of the general population would never be able to tell the difference between a relic and an original, and I bet that 99% of them wouldn't be able to tell from over a 15ft distance.

That being said, the hydrochloric treatment does have its effect on hardware, but it doesn't look much like the oxidation you'd get from time. Rust is really where you want to get. It's tough to get that look on newer parts, but I've read that it can be done.

5. PixMix

PixMix Member

Good choice of pups. As for relic treatment, do what makes you happy. After all, you'll be playing the guitar.

6. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

+1 ... great pickups... your guitar. ;)

7. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Just play it. That's the old fashioned way of relicing a guitar.

8. Fred Buzz

Fred Buzz Senior Member

It seems you're kicking in an open door yourself.

And, of course, you can tell the difference? Why does this statement sound so familiar to me? Maybe you should come up with solid arguments instead of accusing people (without proof) of ignorance...

And where's the money for your bet, just words...

9. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

i used to be anti-relic, but my opinions have quickly changed. Some relic's are well done, very tame, the "work" is done in all of the right places and MOST IMPORTANTLY the person doing the work has spent a LOT of time and effort getting the feel of the guitar to change into a more comfortable, worn in guitar.
    For example, because of LIFE I can only play about 1 hour a day tops if I want to stay up until ~12am every night (and then wake up @5am). I might NEVER get the back of the neck on a new guitar to feel as comfortable and played in as a well done relic. That's assuming I even keep a guitar for more than a few years (which is highly unlikely).
    So, people buy relics for different reasons but if someone can work in some FEEL to their process I am a fan, bigtime.
    BTW - I dig a lot of your posts but can't hang with sweeping generalizations and condescending remarks towards what other people dig = lame.

-- oh, one other thing. I now own a magnificent Fender Custom Shop strat that is so "pretty" I'm nervous to leave it in it's stand when the kids are around... I will leave it there because that is how I roll and it begs me to play it every time I pass it, but at this point I would NEVER bring it to a gig. If it had some slight relicing I wouldn't have this extra stress (and it would command even more on the open market).
    Everyone has different tastes... THAT'S OKAY!!!

10. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Relics are for poser loser dweebs, I learned that reading here.

11. hank

hank Member

:thud

12. ducatisteve

ducatisteve Member

Why are you accusing me (without proof) of knowledge I don't have? I usually can't tell the difference between a CS relic and the real thing unless told. Until I read here that John Mayer's guitar was a CS relic, I thought it was an old beat up guitar he picked up. Yes, I will bet you actual money (any amount you want!) that if we put on a concert for the entire world stage and someone played this guitar, that 99% of the audience would not point it out as a relic, or having fake wear.

[​IMG]

I think it's a very reasonable assumption, much like saying that I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the general population would not be able to tell you that this is a Russian R-7 Semyorka ICBM:

[​IMG]

You might say that I am accusing others of ignorance, but I'm just saying that it's not common knowledge.

13. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Make yourself happy, let the chips lie where they fall.

rob

14. gulliver

gulliver Member

The furniture, jewelry and clothing industries have been doing relic jobs for years, it's just another finish. If the guitar is a relic job, than do it ... if not, don't.

15. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

My 3 pesos worth - those pickups you're installing ROCK.
    You'll probably love the sound.
    As such - why not give the instrument the this relic-treatment:

PLAY THE LIVING HECK OUT OF IT for a few months. Gig it hard, play it hard. Pick it up every chance you get. Eventually it'll show signs of wear, and those wear marks will mean something to you....

(off of soapbox)

Happy Holidays

jb

16. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

Wow, I never intended for it to be an argument; just a friendly debate. For what it is worth, I installed the pickups without relicing the hardware. I am just adjusting the height of the pickups now. And, yes, I can tell already that these things just rock. Great pickups! Thanks, Last nerve. I bought them off him in the Emporium!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  17. jackbart1960

jackbart1960 Member

I don't know about the HCl fumes that seems awfully dangerous for a little rust. But as far as the finish it's so thin that I blew through mine in about 3 months just under the bridge. It's funny though. I've pissed through a lot of git's the past couple of years and that's the one I miss the most and it's one of the cheapest. I had mine set up with a Seymour Duncan Little 59' in the bridge and Q.P.'er in the neck and it absolutely rock'd. But it went to get my Firebird so no regrets. Peace.
    J.J.B.

18. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

No issues with relics, but something about the idea of homemade HCl fumes just doesn't sound like such a great idea to me, unless you have the experience for it.

19. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

mcdonaldkd, I have a set of the same pickups in a Tele and you are so in for a special treat.

20. DZfishtech

DZfishtech Member

When I was young, (yes I'm that guy "back when I was a kid...yadda,yadda,yadda")We all wanted our guitars looking mint, slick with no wear or scratches. Now day's every body wants their guitar to look like it's been through two world wars and several "policing" conflicts and survived, barely. Personally I think it's a fad, if you like it, do it, but keep in mind all fads pass. I bet most of us older players regret having done this or that to a guitar (irreversable mods or selling/trading in a guitar to get something else) essentially sucomming to a fad, if you do relic it who knows, in five years you may really wish you hadn't. I would make my decision based on several things, will it loose value if I trade it in, am I happy with everything about the guitar as far as playing and sound, how attached am I to this instrument. Some guy never develope an atachment to a particular guitar, I think most do, then think they didn't; damage it or get rid of it, only to realize later that it was a big mistake overall to have done that. Or maybe that's just me. Cause if I could change one thing I would still have my Old LP custom instead of this infernal feeling of regret everytime I have anything to do with guitars. Theres more behind it than that but I've rambled on too long. What ever you decide to do, do it for yourself and be clear that's really what you want and I hope it works out for ya. BTW- you can always change the pickups if you don't like the new ones.