A little DD-5 help?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ARch, Feb 1, 2008.

1. ARch

ARch Member

First off, I love my Boss DD-5. In that way.

I started to do some recording last night and when I engaged the DD-5, I noticed the delay rate wasn't what I had left tapped in before -- it was a bit fast. No big deal, I though, and I tapped in a new tempo using the FS-5U external tap... only there was no tempo change.

I leaned down and spun the Delay Time knob around a little -- and there was no change there, either. This was on the dotted eighth note setting, so I tried a few more delay styles. I was able to get some rate change on settings 1-4, but not the normal alien-warping-pitch-shifting sound when you play and turn the Delay Time knob at the same time.

I experimented with the pedal chain a little, ran straight into and out of the DD-5... no change. This pedal is anchored to me board and would never get jostled, and it was working fine the day before. The only thing I didn't try that I could think of was to change power sources, which I'll do when I go home later today.

Any ideas what might have caused this? If so, got a fix?

Worse comes to worse and something's damaged -- will Analog Mike fix her up if I send it in for one of his mods (High Cut? Reverse Kill?).

2. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

maybe a faulty cable. you cant use the delay rate knob for settings 8-11...those have to be set by tap tempo switch. using the delay rate knob for these settings do not affect delay rate.

3. ARch

ARch Member

I hope you're right, but I really thought I'd used that in the past. Hopefully it's a faulty memory and not a faulty pedal :D I run George L's, and while I haven't had many of them fail on me, this would be a perfect time for it.

4. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

i also use GLs. yesterday i re-arranged my pedalboard and had to make new lengths. after setting everything up, i plugged in everything, picked up the guitar and strummed a confident E chord--no sound. i rechecked and found that cable that didn't have a good connection...it was because i didnt cut the wire flush. i recut it a hair back from the initial cut, put the connectors on and plugged it back into the cable and voila, problem solved.

5. ARch

ARch Member

Yeah, I've had to make the same adjustments when redoing the board, but haven't had many die while in use and not being moved.

At the same time, a DD-5 just popped up on Craigslist on the cheap -- for the price, I really can't pass it up as either a replacement for mine, or if mine's not really broken - trade bait for you guys.

Thanks for the advice--

6. andrewnielson

andrewnielson Member

I also use GLs and i've had the same thing happen to me time and time again....hard to tell sometimes if the connections are the best.

7. rdba

rdba Member

i had the same "error". I use 2 dd-5 and the memory lane and i tap them with a "3-Way Y-Cabel". So i can set the delay-time for the 3 pedals with one tap-pedal.

first check the fs5u-polarity and then check the cabel!!!

cheers

8. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

who in the world makes a 3 way cable???

9. ARch

ARch Member

If it turns out to be the cable, I'm probably still keeping both DD-5s at least for a short time for the stereo Y w/ tap tempo.

If my DL-4 took an external tap I'd be looking for a 3-way as well :D!

Polarity is good, so the cable is next, and then some contact cleaner on the Delay Time pot.

10. yorick

yorick Member

Mine actually did the same thing about 3 weeks ago, and I couldn't figure out what was up--I pretty much tried all the same things you did. Just as I was about to pull it off my board and go on the hunt for a new one, it mysteriously started working again a couple of days later--it's been fine since--Can pedals get spyware? :)

Anyway, even though it appears to be fine now, I'm def going to be picking up a spare here pretty quick.

11. rdba

rdba Member

a good friend of mine...:dude
    i tell yeh, it's great!!!!!

12. ARch

ARch Member

Well, that's another thing -- this all seems very vaguely familiar... "Just wait longer" will be test step #4.

13. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I love my DD-5 too. I can't imagine why Boss doesn't reissue this stage necessity.

I use a big clunky noisy Radio Shack cheapo cable for the tap input. It sounds like poo, but it's indestructible and the sound quality doesn't matter for this application anyway.

14. guildchild

guildchild Member

i think you should get a wireless for your tap tempo!:roll

what's up arch....been a while. wanna trade your BOR for my rc boost?

15. ARch

ARch Member

Wireless would've solved this problem. Yes, it was the cable. That said, DD-5 #2 will soon be in my possession!

Also, you know that trade isn't fair. I'd do BoR + POG for the RC though. Herbie Hancock signed it, right?

16. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

yay! i'm glad you found the problem.