A little ding?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by echo44, Jan 19, 2010.

1. LightninBoy

LightninBoy Member

Lacquer cracks are the cats ass! And real life dings ain't so bad either.

:aok

2. Irreverent

Irreverent Member

Man, I used to want only perfect, museum quality guitars. Then I realized that I was afraid to play them. The realization really hit me when I was showing my pride-and-joy Melancon P-90 Artist that I had bought new to a friend when I noticed not one, but TWO, ugly dings on the upper horn and the bout on the back side of the guitar. I know they weren't there when I got the guitar, and to this day I have no idea how they got there. I was SICK about it for a week! Then I realized that I really enjoyed how this guitar sounds and plays more than most guitars I had ever encountered, and now I didn't have to worry about it getting dinged. I have played the heck out of her ever since. It was like finding freedom. And since then, I have never wanted perfect guitars, and I began to understand "relics" more.

Peace.

3. dobro man

dobro man Member

Go visit Guitar Centre, pretty hard to find one there without a ding....

4. Curly

Curly Member

what ding?

all I see is a really, really nice sunburst!

5. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

The first one hurts the most.

6. Southern ILL

Southern ILL Member

Unless its thick plastic......just shippng something across country with a vintage style finish is tough..........I like tight neck pockets too.......and its alway what the customers ask too.......Are your neck pockets tight?

yep. But you got understand......if that neck shifts a frogs hair or you go pull it off to adjust.....watch that outer edge.....if your careless you might just end up with a finish crack/chip.......Not a thing you can do....be careful,but stuff happens........thats the way it is.

7. metalgtr2000

metalgtr2000 Member

interesting thread about dings.. My 2 electrics have a few dings here and there... but its because I play the heck out of both of them... and when I see those marks...I know my guitar is being used for what it's purpose was for.

I found a vid about a Suhr 80s style shred guitar and it shows downright chips and heavy dings in it.. it's reliced to look like it has seen some action..

below is the clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtrMkEmITwQ

Look at the 8 second mark... that chip is bad...and it was purposful..to make it look like it's seen action. If you have a guitar with dings and chips... fix it if you want...but each ding tells a story...

Another story... I was watch the M3 concert on TV a while back.. George Lynch was playing his tiger stripe guitar for the song 'Mr Scary'. There are close ups as he's playing and that guitar has so many chips and dings in it it's pitiful... He has the cash to repair it...but doesn't.... Just my 2 cents...

8. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

It is a small ding. Chances are very good that you will put a few more similar ones on it over the coming months when you place it/remove it from a guitar stand.

It's a badge of honour. ;)

After going through a complete headstock break on my beloved Les Paul, tiny dings like this just don't worry me any more... Enjoy your Grosh!

9. Route234

Route234 Member

10. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

i am no way trying to judge you, but it's truly a story of carelessness. Owning an awesome guitar does not mean automatically taht you can't put guitar stands in safe places, and store guitars in cases.

Speaking of cats. Last week my brand new 4 month kitten tipped over a case with my brand new Suhr guitar. The case was closed, but I remember standing there, looking in horror like in slow motion, at the falling case, and then rushing - all too late anyway - to catch it and try to rescue the poor kitten from heavy GG case falling on him. I failed on both accounts. Th ecase fell and horrified cat was trapped underneath it for a second, screaming and hissing, So no. I'm not judging you.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  11. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Silver Supporting Member

I've been selling off some gear of late (downsizing) and some of the people who are the most vocal about "not sweating the dings" are the first in line to try to use them to argue down your price. As a seller, like it or not, it cannot be gainsaid that a clean guitar or amp will command a relatively higher price

12. onemind

onemind Member

Was it Native Americans who would deliberately put a flaw in something they created?

13. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

they would put flaws in their beadwork so those would remind them that the world was not perfect.

14. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Silver Supporting Member

Are yuu suggesting the luthier is a Native American who added the ding thoughtfully and deliberately? ;)

15. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

Personally, I am a perfectionist and even a little ding would probably bother me. That being said, I tend to "roll with things" more these days, and accept the flaws. I put a nice ding on a new Chapin Hawk the first day I had it- now it has a few cousins and siblings! Take care and enjoy the new guitar! PRR

16. bearbike137

bearbike137 Member

To answer your question. Nope, wouldn't bother me.

Look at it this way - maybe some anal butthead played that guitar at the store and would have bought it, except for that ding. You said it has the "mojo". That ding did you a favor!

17. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Is there a ding in that picture?

18. ib2010

ib2010 Silver Supporting Member

No problems with the disclosed "normal dings". EXCEPT, dings and indents on the back of the neck, seem to bug the crap out of me, even after i've gotten use to them. Huge , thru the paint dings/ scars, i'll pass.

19. Pfeister

Pfeister Member

I've never heard that before, but I'm glad you (both of you guys who mentioned it) brought it to my attention. I really want to look into that. I believe the same thing and tend to build mostly distressed instruments for that reason. It's never been so much a style for me as it is a philosophy (even though I hate admitting to a personal philosophy). I truly believe perfection is impossible and great beauty can come from taking advantage of that fact and even exploiting it. Even if perfection were possible, it would be fleeting, especially on a guitar. The best we can hope for is something manmade and flawed that gives the impression of perfection. In that way, I believe the pursuit of perfection will inevitably only lead you to a cheap, letdown feeling. It's a feeling of novelty at best.
    On top of that, real beauty has always been a result of "flaws". Sometimes it takes a close look, but every great painting you've ever seen or will see is a mess compared to what a "perfect" image would look like. The beauty comes from the artist's hand and the fact it can't create perfection, but instead expresses a small sense of truth and humanity by showing those "flaws" that make creative work so appealing to us. It's the flaws that let you get that intimate look into the artist and sparks our emotions or thoughts.
    Understanding why flaws and natural variations are appealing to us will open up a whole world of subtlety and beauty that is the root of our relationship with art. In regard to creative or manmade work, perfection, if it were possible, would be march towards sterility and away from humanity. But, the fact it's not possible leaves only that cheap novelty I mentioned before.

That was wayyyy longer than I expected. Too long to read? I'm basically saying this: Perfection is impossible and humans find beauty in flaws, even if they don't know it. Understand that and you'll have an infinite amount of detail to love and to learn by. Learn to exploit it properly and you'll have an endless stream of creativity that people are naturally drawn to and affected by.

So, love that ding on your guitar, then play it until your hands bleed and the finish rubs off. You'll love it 1000x then.

This rant that I just spent way too much time writing for reasons I can't explain has me feeling like I'm preaching on a soapbox. Time to step down. Some topics just get me going. :drink

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  20. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

+1 on the screwdriver relic'ing comment.

boy, you can smell that relic a mile away, that looks rediculous to me,even with a crappy internet pic. Clearly there's a market......lots of pretend things exist out there in this day and age.

I'm not a fan of relic'ing, same reason I don't like poly: not because I think nitro is better/or non-relic'd gtrs are superior: I don't care for the dis-engenuine patina and the feel. (poly feels yucky to me)

I don't care how good the relic'ing is....I know its not real.....and you can tell, and I think for me: in the end, I don't keep them, because they are not real....just my opinon.

to the OP, I might ask for a small refund if this was new.....but life is short....and perhaps its not worth the effort to do so, and I agree: hopefully you will put on more of them naturally to keep that one ding company ;)

its true, @ least IMHO, when its done naturally through years of playing, it feels like YOUR gtr and its REAL!...like a favourite pair of jeans.