A little help, Schecter experts? (Schexperts?)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by biffhardon, Feb 6, 2019.

1. biffhardon

biffhardon Member

I bought this red Saturn/PT/whatever on eBay about twenty years ago, when I was looking for a black/creme one but got impatient. It plays great—even if the neck's a little on the thin side for my liking—and the splittable humbuckers actually sound great at all settings. Just wondering if anybody might be able to shed some light on its provenance?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(By contrast, the 1985 black/creme one I eventually found is a real turd, but I keep it around because it looks cool.)

2. John C

John C Supporting Member

With the 21-fret neck it's most likely a late Van Nuys or early Texas model.

Per Tom Anderson - Schecter never made a 22-fret neck in Van Nuys; they were made by either their own joint-venture company "Schecter Japan" or from other suppliers - but they also may have gotten some 21-fret necks from the overseas suppliers early in the Texas days. Anderson left Schecter when they moved to Texas in mid-late 1984 (after he spent 6 months early in 1984 in Japan helping get that joint venture up and running).

Reach out to forum member superrock - he's the real expert on Schecters, and seems to always turn up nice Van Nuys ones.

ProfRhino, superrock and biffhardon like this.
  3. biffhardon

biffhardon Member

Interesting. Thanks for that, John. I knew my black/creme one was from Dallas (because I've got the warranty card that says so), but it's markings are very different. Plus, as I mentioned, compared to the red one, it's a turd. I actually prefer its neck profile, but it's way heavier, the German-made pickups are both too muddy in humbucker mode and too thin in single-coil mode, and the whole thing just feels less alive somehow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ProfRhino and superrock like this.
  4. HelloKittyHawk!

HelloKittyHawk! Member

That woodburned "Schecter," on the body, is in an unusual location, for that period, but Van Nuys anomalies certainly do exist.
    The "R" prefix is indicative of a guitar that Schecter built for their Australian dealer, Ram Music.
    And it appears to have been once fitted with a Kahler behind-the-nut locking mechanism, in a misguided attempt to provide tuning stability.
    Beautiful PT!

superrock, biffhardon and ProfRhino like this.
  5. biffhardon

biffhardon Member

Well, I bought it in Australia, so that certainly makes sense. It wouldn't have ever occurred to me that they might've had an Australian dealer back in the day, so thanks for that.