A little love for the Mark I Reissue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Stormin, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Hey all,

I've been playing the snot out of my Mark Ir lately, and just thought I'd share a little love for it. I've spent the last seven years trying an assortment of amps to satisfy my blues jones, and the Mark I keep on smoking 'em all. The quest has gone throught the following:

'99 Mark I reissue
    '68 Deluxe Reverb (gone)
    '65 Twin Reverb (gone)
    Fender Blues Deluxe (gone)
    Bad Cat Black Cat 2x12 (gone)
    '67 Super Reverb (gone)
    '66 Bassman (still love this too)

Every time I have A/B'd the Mark I against any of the above, it wins every time for smokin' blues tone. I run it in a Mark IV head shell with a 1x12 EV loaded Thiele and a 1x12 MC90 loaded 1/2 Back. I just replaced the stock Mesa tubes today with ElectroHarmonix preamp tubes and the reissue Mullard EL34 power tubes, and it's better than ever. I get such an in your face blues tone on Channel 2 (the Blackface one)! It is pure magic with my '68 Strat.

Just thought I'd spread the love,

Stormin!

2. somedude

somedude Member

I don't have a MkI, but the MkIII I use has a fatness to the tone that I have yet find an equal to. Plus is great for that dark, smokey blues tone. I thought it was great with a Les Paul, but when I hit this thing with a Fender's neck single coil I just about wet myself.

3. Elliott Damage

Elliott Damage Member

4. Elliott Damage

Elliott Damage Member

what are the cleans like/?

5. UfoPilot

UfoPilot Member

I've got one for sale. They have great cleans.

6. Elliott Damage

Elliott Damage Member

head or combo?

7. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Great amps. I almost walked out of Mesa Boogie Hollywood with one last trip down.

Then I picked it up. :crazyguy

Cool amp though.

8. Keld

Keld Member

Made me laugh with that one!! You are right - I forgot how heavy they are.

Great tones, though if you get a reissue you should think about adding the pull boost option (would have to call the factory about this) - adds a large amount of gain and much different overdrive possibilities. :AOK

9. UfoPilot

UfoPilot Member

1 X 12 combo. Yea it weighs a lot! That's why I'm selling it (bad back)

10. KRosser

KRosser Member

I've played a MK 1 Re-ish since around '93. I always liked it as a jazz amp - amazing fat clean headroom, plugged into input 2, pre on 3-4, master to taste/necessity depending on how much the drummer has been listening to Tony Williams, EQ usually flat with maybe a little dip in the mids and a little bump in the lows depending on the room, presence about halfway. For a while I had it as a head & cab - I vastly prefer it as a 1X12 combo (which is what it is now).

(This setting always worked really well with my 335 or my ASAT)

11. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

how do you keep the speaker farting out and loosest low end that this amp has by the shedload under control ?

jimmy

12. Doug Allen

Doug Allen Member

Larry Carlton played a MK I in the late '70's. With that amp and a '68 ES-335, his sound (and chops!) was superb on the landmark solo album "Larry Carlton."

13. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Aaahhh, thats why I use the Thiele cab. It's the secret weapon for Mark amps.

14. somedude

somedude Member

I turn down the bass knob.

15. HHB

HHB Member

much love for the MKI reissue, been using a head version for the last 5 years, at least twice a week and usually more, it's blown one fuse and that was due to a bad tube, recently picked up an original MKI head and I love em both. I run mine like KRosser , input 2 kinda clean feeding it w/ my pedalboard

16. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I played a Mk I reissue for about 10 years and loved it. Eventually I got tired of the mid-heavy tones, which could have been due to the cabinet I used it with and not the amp per se. But I have to say my ES-335 SMOKED through that rig. I replaced it with a Rambler and have been quite happy with it. Given that both the Mk I and the Rambler got their roots from old Princeton Reverbs, it's not surprising that they have some similar tones.

17. UfoPilot

UfoPilot Member

El34's really help the low end in that amp.

18. KRosser

KRosser Member

I love the Carr Rambler, though I've never owned one, and probably never will as it's not something I really need so much as it's just something really cool. That said, for me the clincher on the Mk 1, again, is the clean headroom for jazz, particularly since I play with lots of post-Tony/Elvin drummers that really like to play hard (and I don't do the quasi-Carlton Princeton/overdrive sound at all). You can't get that out of a Rambler. What the Rambler does get almost better than anything I can think of is that vibey Pops Staples/Steve Cropper/James Burton thing, which I love...

..on second thought, I should probably know better than to say I'll never own a Rambler...

19. HHB

HHB Member

I played a Rambler for a few months, it was on loan, very cool amp that makes a great addition to the MKI lovers stable, just too damn rich for my blood, I found a silverface Deluxe reverb for $300 to fill that niche

20. drunkdolphin

drunkdolphin Member

Good Morning Gents,
    I have a 2005 MK1 in imbuya with the matching Thiele cab. it is an amazing setup. I have made a few tweaksto it. The thiele cab just adds so much body to your sound. It is truly the biggest sound in the smallest setup.