A little rant/question for you!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Steve Snider, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Is this a place where everyone posts stuff to have stuff blown up their asses or is it a place where people can be honest and offer some constructive tips to perhaps guide the player in a positive direction??? I listened to something with nothing but raves (2 pages) and although the timing was good, the playing was both very pedestrian and weak. If this is a place to have your carrot shined by all your gear page fans than so be it but is there any interest in some critiques to enable players to understand their own weaknesses as perceived by others?

I for one hope people will tell me I suck if that is what they think and why. It makes me want to do better.

I find the praise and reward on this site similar to my son's baseball where everyone gets a trophy as they are all champions. I understand encouragement and all to keep kids interested but we are all big boys now.

2. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

i've never been a fan of sugarcoating anything.

3. Birddog

Birddog Member

I don't usually comment if I don't like something, and do if I do. When I post clips, I don't usually ask for criticism because A. it's finished and I'm not going to change it because someone on TGP thinks the drums should come to the front a little more or whatever, and B. I record for my own enjoyment and don't plan on selling any of the songs for fun and profit. I understand the need for critiquing IF YOU WANT IT. I don't usually join in because first off, I'm not expert enough to critique someone else in either playing or recording techniques and I've seen too many times where someone asks for critiques and gets POUNDED.

4. ToneZappa

ToneZappa Member

Steve you don,t have to ask what to say you just say what you want to say. But in general I think most people view this place like a bar were players of all standards drift in and out sometimes exchanging ideas on sound, technique or recomending gear or players. I don,t think people bother about audio quality to much as long as there is some point to posting a clip. If you really dislike a clip I think most people just leave it (it soon falls off the page !!!) but that dosen,t mean you have to be a first class player to post. Theres a great mixture of players from all over the globe but you have to listen with an open mind. Iv,e posted stuff here thats out of time and tune and recorded on cassette, but it usually has some kind of concept behind it. If somebody dosen,t like it thats fine but you don,t normally walk up to some one at a bar and say I don,t like you.!!! So a more detailed responce is better. In fact I wish people would say more......... in a constructive way.

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Some would, and do say Clapton is pedestrian and weak. I'd love to see the responses if Neil Young posted some anonymous clips! I'm thinking most players know where they stand. If they are asking for constructive critisizm they'll get plenty of it. Those that would ask for it probably know they need it.

On the other hand, if someone throws out a clip just sayin "here's me with a tele and an amp" to demo the amp or gear used, whats the point of going out of your way to say you don't personally like it? Just saying that what one may consider pedestrian, another may consider it a great piece of work. It's just way too subjective unless it's bad and they are asking for critique.

I'm even catching myself here.... am I the expert that can say whats good and bad? The last thing we need is a bunch of Simon Cowell's telling clip posters how "gastly" it was!

I try to look at it as if I were seeing them play live. If they are up there doing thier thing, would I uninvitedly walk up and say it blows? No. If he asked what I thought, i'd give an honest opinion without ripping it to shreds. The fact that I didn't like it doesn't mean it's not credible.

6. jtees4

jtees4 Member

I am honest about gear, but I do not delve into anything of a personal nature.

7. Scoredog

Scoredog Member

I usually do not post if i do not like something and do post if I do as other posters have said. Now if someone says please i need some help here please do not sugarcoat your response then I will post a more detailed response. often though I will have a nice response to a non pro sounding track because there just is a cool thing about people wanting to be guitar players and pushing themselves. This is as close to community of real guitar players that I have seen and i do not wish to discourage people who simply want to enjoy being guitarists and be part of a community of guitarists. my guess is if you want a more critical response you simply need to ask for it.

8. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

I'd rather get critical comments than no comments at all.

That said, I prefer band recordings of original material versus solo clips or clips made with canned backing tracks, and am more likely to comment on the former than the latter.

9. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

I think you should be able to say what you want, but it's all about how you say it. I'm not saying to water it down, but don't be a (*&(*&^*^ about it. It should be civil, constructive, and hopefully helpful to the OP.

10. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

How about the concept of posting just because you might be excited about it (for whatever reason) and think others might enjoy it too?

When I listen to clips here, I don't listen to judge the player or try to analyze their strengths and weaknesses etc. I'll give stuff a listen if I'm curious or if know the player and like other stuff I've heard by them. Sure, I've heard pedestrian stuff or even lousy stuff but also a lot of things that blow me away and make me question my own worth :messedup.

On the other hand, if someone wants constructive criticism on their playing, they should (and often do) state so explicitly. Nothing wrong with that.

11. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

I agree with scoredog

12. dave s

dave s Member

I reply honestly when someone posts a clip and wants feedback on something like the mix of a song. If people post guitar only clips, I usually don't even listen. Heck, I can plug in at home and listen to 'crap' if I need to hear it!

If folks post clips of gear (amps/pedals) they are more 'FYI' and these need to be taken with a grain of salt due to context--or lack thereof.

That said, I'm not posting anything here! :NUTS

dave

13. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  14. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

I frankly don't know what it is... :)

I do know that it is not gonna change because you posted that stuff you said though.

And despite the fact that it's never what you personally want it to be...

I often learn something valuable from other people's stuff...

and that really is the bottom line with info exchange isn't it?

As for serious criticism on my own stuff, I have a high level, professional teacher for that.

PS: And if people stopped heaping praise on mediocre or even bad performances...much of todays entertainment would vanish.

Not that that would be a bad thing....but it just shows a trend that permeates everything...everywhere.

15. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Honesty's fine..........if you're willing to take the heat yourself.

You first.

16. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Bingo! I totally am as I think I have a long ways to go and can use all the help I can get. I would welcome stuff like "sounds good, but your timing and intonation need work".

Let me throw out a random example that inspired my post-

Tomo (who is an awesome player) throws a clip up of him playing blues and people unanimously rave.

Hogy posts a clip of "the most exciting blues player he has heard in twenty years" and there is negative stuff mixed in with the positives within the thread.

Here ya go- Ran down stairs and recorded some sloppy ass blues as I had some (too many) beers and the slop comes through but I am wide open for any comments and no matter what anyone says negatively, they cannot be harder than I am on myself so it doesn't matter- I welcome it. Honesty is good. Clean Chapin strat through a Two Rock Classic Reverb down real low so I don't wake my wife or baby. Recorded with an Edirol R9 hand held job. Have at it. I will redeem myself later perhaps and I am not a blues player but a rocker so this may not seem like the blues at all but it's a quick little attempt.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=733551

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  17. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Bring It!! Quicky crappy clip above!

18. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

What one person dislikes, another person loves. There are some players out there whose lack of attention to details (i.e. playing in key, vibrato, phrasing) makes me cringe when I hear it. Others, have permanent imprints of those same players asses on their face from the mouth-to-ass resuscitation that follows a clip being posted.

Who's to say who is good or bad?

19. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Good point!!!

20. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Though, I really think it should be me! MUHAHAHAHAHA!