A Little Sound Test On My New Roland Micro Cube Amp. What Do You Guys Think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jimmy25, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Jimmy25

Jimmy25 Member

I just bought a new Roland Micro Cube Amp yesterday for 4200 baht (136.28 dollar), and I have no regrets at all, it's a great little amp for a beginner like me! So Here's me testing out the sound with my very dumb playing skill, please excuse me for any mistakes and not staying on beat, also it's my very first time recording, it's a newbie simple setup. So please take it easy on me...

Roland Micro Cube Amp Sound Test.mp3

Acoustic: 00:00 - 00:50
    JC Clean: 00:51 - 02:00
    Black Panel: 02:01 - 03:05
    Brit Combo: 03:06 - 03:22
    Classic Stack: 03:23 - 03:35
    R-Fier: 03:36 - 04.17

Guitar: Fender 57 Reissue Stratocaster MIJ Since 1993
    Amp: Roland Micro Cube Amp
    Cable: Planet Waves
    Record: Connect 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter to amp's rec out > Connect 1/8 inch to 1/8 inch cable from amp to PC's Mic > Recorded with Audacity 1.3
    Note: no EFX / Delay / Reverb.
    Tone, Gain, Volume everything set on 5
    And everything is played using the neck single coil pickup only.

Bad playing with bad record setup, but still, what do you guys think?
    I'm willing to take any comments / suggestions on how I could improve my playing / record setup. Cheers : )

2. beforetone

beforetone Member

Man, that acoustic setting sounds killer, that little amp seems to have potential. Keep playing and recording and beginner will be a something from the past.

3. willc68

willc68 Member

Have fun with the Micro-Cube.
    I have had mine for about 7 years now and never a problem.
    They have some great sounds inside and are the best to travel with.
    Keep on playing and recording, experimentation is key when laying tracks, try everything.

4. Jimmy25

Jimmy25 Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it. If there's any suggestions on how I could change the setup and make the record sound better feel free to share it as well. And I also thought the clean sound was good, but I feel like I didn't quite get the distortion sound I wanted with Classic Stack and R-Fier? I mean, I saw some other reviews on this amp and they could really get the distortion or even metal with R-Fier. I was wondering is it the record or perhaps it's my strat's single coil pickup that ain't meant for distortion? hahah cheers : )

5. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

The clean sounds were fine- a little "tinny" sounding but yet that would be due to the recording setup as well as the compression from uploading it to the Internet. The "bigger amp" sounds like Classic Stack & R-Fier sounded really weak, like you had a loose cable or something. Did you turn the gain & mids up? While Strat single coil pickups are not as beefy-sounding as humbuckers, they can still scream through a big amp. In fact Rectifier amps are more suited to Strats with single coils than the Les Pauls & PRS guitars that have humbuckers which often get used with them.