A look back at Kill 'Em All

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by harmonicator, Feb 13, 2020.

1. art_z

art_z Supporting Member

Best Metallica guitar tones are on this record IMHO.
    Never liked the later scooped sounds.

2. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Sorry to break this to you but its about the songs, not the guitar tone.

3. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

I use to put this on and play along to the whole album.

harmonicator likes this.
  4. art_z

art_z Supporting Member

The songs are amazing as well. 9/10 times when I am in the mood for Metallica I put on KEA, MOP a distant second choice and RTL very rarely. I probably haven’t listened to AJFA in over a decade. I like what I like.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    vanderkalin and Buzzard Luck like this.
  5. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

I'm not the biggest Metallica fan out there. The whole Black Album thing turned me off and they lost me, probably forever, in the 90s.

However, I think Kill 'Em All is arguably the best thrash metal debut. I put that down to two things: it has decent production and it has great songs too. Something that is lacking from all of the other debuts of the rest of the Big Four, in my opinion.

harmonicator likes this.
  6. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I know it’s all subjective, but IMO Exodus’ Bonded By Blood crushes Kill Em All in almost every way, as far as thrash debuts go.

Philhouse likes this.
  7. TheMemoryEstate

TheMemoryEstate Member

8. Release

Release Member

Bonded by Blood is brutally vicious but I'd have to go with Show No Mercy for my debut top pick of the Big 4.

Echoplexi likes this.
  9. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

There is no middle ground when discussing this band or the early albums with fanboys.

I will say that shortly before this came out, some of us were enjoying the 8th album by the Scorpions called Blackout, which also ‘rocks’ and features 100x better lead guitar playing.

Furthermore, as far as US metal goes, within another couple months or so, we were also enjoying the debut by the band Metal Church, which features equally, if not far more stimulating material. Personally, Metal Church was the best of the big 4, by a huge margin. Vanderhoof was a mad genius riff writer back in the day.

10. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Which big 4 is that?

11. Uncle Dad

Uncle Dad Member

Slayer, Anthrax, Metallica, Megadeth, and Metal Church, obviously.

12. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like we have a big 7 or 8 based on what people are saying here.

A-Bone likes this.
  13. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Scorpions have never been thrash, not even close.

As for the argument that Metal Church were the best of the big 4 "by a huge margin": pretty much the whole world disagrees with you there. There are a arguments for a number of bands that may deserve mention alongside the "Big 4", such as Exodus, Testament, Death Angel, Metal Church, Kreator, Sodom etc. Etc but no one seriously thinks Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax weren't at the top of the tree. Metal Church were definitely second, or even third, tier, alongside the likes of Annihilator.

art_z likes this.
  14. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

More than any other Metallica album, KEA captures the spirit of Rock N Roll Glory! The epic albums that followed went on to bigger themes, but I love the simple, unpretentious, unfiltered youthful rage of KEA. These are the most fun Metallica songs to play for me. I had great fun recording versions of No Remorse, Phantom Lord, The Four Horsemen :dude and Metal Militia. And yes, Kirk DID rip back then! He was the right choice for Metallica in the '80s, even though Dave developed into a far more complete player with Megadeth.

Jamez stole The Four Horsemen from Dave, but Metallica's album version is far better than the Mechanix IMO. Part of Megadeth's problem in the early days was wretched production---great material but anemic sounding guitars and drums. But KEA was a fully badazz debut metal album---sounded GREAT in its own raw way. AMAZING crunch and lead tones! I don't think Megadeth had a great sounding (produced) album until around the third one, but Metallica came out of the gate strong.

Release, art_z and harmonicator like this.
  15. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Much is said about Hammett being the new guy, playing songs/parts that predated him...

What’s easy to forget is just about every song predates Cliff Burton. I believe the only demo he appeared on prior to KEA was the whiplash/No Remorse demo. And those songs already existed in some form.

art_z, harmonicator and A-Bone like this.
  16. Philhouse

Philhouse Member

Meh, I disagree. Bonded is far too one dimensional compared to Kill, almost exact same tempo every song and it's just boring in comparison to Kill. Bonded album sounds like one long song whereas Kill is far more interesting as a whole album. I'd say Kill crushes Bonded for mine. different strokes I guess :aok

Echoplexi likes this.
  17. bugzapper

bugzapper Member

Lars had really admirable drive. Not many bands have a member like that. 19 years old, and he was not farting around--sounds like he knew the metal scene worldwide, was committed to his local scene, understood studios, understood press, thought both short and long term.

Release, art_z and MkIII Renegade like this.
  18. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

He was a key part of the early success with James the metal core of everything. Cliff was also very important in shaping the band. Kirk did little other than play solos on the '80s albums---which was a good thing.

19. wattage

wattage Member

Bought Kill 'Em All and Hanoi Rocks Mystery City the same day and I knew the world had changed, a fork in the road but epic albums

20. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Hammett has some pretty heavy duty writing credits on RTL and MOP. As many as Burton. He wrote some pretty iconic riffs/parts.

Echoplexi likes this.