A loop for every single pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fernando, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Fernando

Fernando Member

Hi, guys.

I took your advice and gave up my Digitech GNX2. It was really sucking my tone. I am begining to put toghether a pedal board, using pedals I already have and buying a couple of new ones.

The thing is, I really love the tone I get simply plugging the guitar straight into the amp. So, as I'll be using a couple of boss and mxr pedals, I'm worried about eletronic bypass pedals messing it up. Beacuse of that I plan to get one of these things here:

http://www.loooper.com/5Looopers.htm

I'll put every single non-true bypass pedal on my rig in a loop. Am I obsessing here?

It would go like this: PRS CE22 > crybaby (modded for true bypass) > Tone Press > Tube Zone > DS-1, GE-7 and NS2 (on 1 loop) > BF-2 Flanger (loop) > Phase 90 (loop)> M-134 MXR Stereo Chorus (loop) > DD-3 Digital Delay (loop) > Twin Reverb.

I still have to buy the Tone Press, the Tube Zone and the Chorus. If I feel that the TZ is enough high gain, I'll probably get a Barber LTD too and dump the DS-1. By the way, what do you think of this set up?

Thanks!

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Nope, you are not obsessing.

Been there done that, and still have one of the looopers. :D

I had two 5 loop Looopers on my board and used all the loops but one; worked like a charm. It is money well spent.

3. pepperco

pepperco Member

I have a 5 loooper, and its a good thing.
    The only things outside of the loooper are
    a BS2 buffer before the loooper, and a
    Supa Trem after the loooper.

I like a loooper for 3 main reasons,
    1-Troublshooting, cable / battery / power issues.
    Its easy to get everything out of the path.
    2-Grouping a couple of pedals in the same loop
    for a certain sound. Boost with delay etc.
    3- I am able to use a couple of wacky noise
    makers and not have to concern myself
    with the noise or true bypass issues.

I think it can be good to obsess about signal
    flow issues.

4. elambo

elambo Member

The Loooper is a great idea. I have one on order for the same reason you mention. Up to now I've been plugging in only the pedals I'll need, but then I'm not using them live - only for recording. It takes longer, but it's cleaner. Can't wait for the Loooper to fix it all so I can leave everything plugged in.

5. ryanspeer

ryanspeer Member

I wouldn't call it obsessive, per se, but if you're looking at trying to save a few bucks, you could always just get a couple of loops and group the pedals in each loop by category (distortion/overdrive, modulation, etc.).

Either way, it's never a bad idea.

6. msymank

msymank Member

I built one a few months ago. actually 2. Each box has 4 loops.
    Playing and singing is hard enough, let alone dancing around. all the switches are right in front of my big dumb foot.

With my limited soldering skills, I haven't had a problem lugging my board in a soft case from gig to gig, maybe about 30 gigs since I made the boxes.
    The best part is getting to a show and being the first one to setup and the first one to breakdown.

Tone wise???
    well, I found all the treble I had been missing, alone with a better feeling of my amp than I have had in years. It could be the bypass boxes, and I could be all the canare cables I wired everything with.
    Sounds great to me.

I would encourage anyone to go to a geeky electronics shop and get a big steel box to go to town with. Pickup some 3pdt switchs and some leds. Easy and can be.

7. pepperco

pepperco Member

:AOK
    Well, what the heck are you doing here then?
    :confused:
    This is...... THE GEAR PAGE !!
    :rolleyes:

Back to the subject,
    Life is too short to have sucky tone.
    I recommend a loooper to bypass stompboxes.

8. eric-d

eric-d Member

I'm really trying to figure out how to use the LOOOPERs..... I have a decent sized board..... My usual order of pedals are....

-Boss TU-2 (tone sucker I'm sure)
    - Fulltone Clyde Std.
    - Fulltone Deja-Vibe
    - TS-808 RI (again, tone sucker)
    - Klon Centaur (I dunno about this one, I know it's not true-bypass)
    - Roger Mayer Octavia (I dunno about this one either, heard different stories on it)
    - Arbiter/Dunlop Fuzz Face (modded by Analog.Man)
    - Fulltone Supa-Trem
    - Fulltone ChoralFlange
    - Line 6 DL4 Delay modulator (heard mixed reviews on this one too)

See I run my DVibe after the Clyde, but I want it (the button) between the FF and STrem on the Loooper, but still have it first in the loooper. And having the DL4 on the loooper, I know it's going to decrease in volume when I kick it on.... Would a volume knob help that? Maybe couple the DL4 with a Fat Boost or something, so they'll come on at the same time.... ?? What do you guys think???

something like this - ( I made this in photoshop to show the order I want the buttons...

[​IMG]

9. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

that's what i'm doing...plus a tuner mute and a master bypass.

10. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

you could have David Boggs (mr. looooooooooooper) put a volume knob on that loop or you could just put a boost in the loop w/the pedal that needs a volume kick.

BTW, DB is *very* cool. He answered about 450 questions I had quickly and patiently.

Kudos to him.

11. threm

threm Member

Don`t forget one advantage of having more than one pedal in one loop. Having two or more you can turn on/off several pedals with just one push. And if you keep the loop open you can turn on/off each one individually.

12. Ian

Ian Member

Well, having all of these pedals in their own loops is fine and dandy.....and you do have the ability to turn any one of them on / off easily in one location on your pedalboard.

BUT......what happens when you want to recall a "combination" of pedals for 1 or 2 bars of a tune? Are you gonna tap-dance all night?

Why not just use multiple Axess GRX4 loopers, and put your pedals in the loops within each GRX4? (A GRX4 has loops for 4 pedals)......and then control the "combinations" of pedals with an Axess MFC-5 midi footcontroller?

Having the ability to recall "combinations" of effects at the touch of a switch is a pretty basic requirement..... necessity, really! ;)

13. stevieray

stevieray Member

That's what I do. Expensive, but worth it! :cool:

14. eric-d

eric-d Member

Don't knock my tap dancing skills... :p

15. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

Right on brutha :dude
    Sorry to say most of the krazy kats here will rip you a new one for saying
    such heresy.

16. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

What are you playing through?

17. pepperco

pepperco Member

Not going to rip any one a new one, but sheesh..

A guy comes on THE GEAR PAGE with a legitamate
    question about GEAR and gets told to not worry about
    his GEAR. Well, sorry but gear is part of the puzzle.
    Its not a philosophical question of "less is more ".
    Its a dude trying to figure out which rig is right for him!
    To drop in and pop off a "forget about all of this sh*t"
    smacks of smugness, and is quite frankly, bull.

Lets assume Fernando has assimilated Chord Chemistry
    and is now ready to move on to sounding like a god,
    and not just playing like one. There are a TON of kick
    ass players in the world who sound like poo. Just trying
    to help Fernando to not be one of them.

Back to looopers.....
    I play 90% of the time with pure amp tone.
    I love it. The loops are there to help me get
    the tones / colors I need, to cover the sounds
    I am expected to. A very useful tool for many
    of us tone sluts.

18. pepperco

pepperco Member

I don't hate what you said, it was the way you said it.
    Smug was the right word. I don't have time to do the fancy quotes but....

"I feed my family / a few european gigs / young players who value my advice /
    I am " It was this kind of attitude that always
    rubbed me the wrong way about most of the GIT instructors
    when I was there. (graduated in 87) The attitude was
    "I'm a friggin genious and your opinion is crap."

Why am I bothering with this? You snipped my quote out
    of context and used it to try prove your point, which was not helpful to the subject matter.

Just because someone calls themself "pro" does not necessarily
    mean they know what they are talking about, or you should
    listen to their advice. I don't feed my family by gigging, I need to be home to tuck in the brood at night. I gig a couple of times a month local, I like to walk my kids to school, not wonder if they got there.

This "non pro" life does not necessarily mean I do not know
    what I am talking about, when it comes to tone and
    looping pedals. Which was the original question. When I think
    of the hundreds of gigs I have done reaching with my foot
    to hit an OD1 and a DM2 with the same footstroke, it makes
    me really happy to hit one button on a looper and get a
    Klon and an AD80. Its a beautiful thing for us amatuers.

19. g-nem

g-nem Member

Phew- pretty heated in here, guys. It does seem to happen everytime somebody says something like krosser did.

I have been noticing how many people DON'T use bypass boxes for everything. Nels cline doesn't, famously, and even mentions that fact on his site. And I've been noticing all of the geeked rigs and posted rigs of bands in guitar player mag that put their signal through their Boss TU2 all the time (which I would never do). Actually, I used to use a boss ls-2 which i tossed because it was a tone sucker- and I noticed that mudvaynes guitartist run's through it all the time in his rig. Hey, even jimi never used bypass boxes- and even used coiled cables.

There is no reason to have every pedal on your board be true bypass- read Pete Cornish's article against true bypass. It makes sense to have at least one buffered pedal in there- and boss and ibanez pedals are supposed to have pretty decent buffers (I don't bypass my rt. 66 and ts-9). But obviously you don't want to be going through 6 buffered pedals.

So like most things, bypass in moderation- having every pedal on your board in a seperate loop is probably overkill. If you've got 2 or 3 tone suckers, try putting them all in the same loop- then at least you've got em out of your path when you want to play clean.

2 other quick considerations-

Ease of use- sometimes pedals have wonky on off switches that are hard to activate, or maybe you want to have the pedal at the back of your board- putting it in a loop solves those problems.

Pedalboard space- having a five looper that is useable takes up a lot of real estate- especially considering you can't have the footswitches too close together. I found you need at least 2" to between pedals- which adds up as you add switches. Also you need to factor in plugs and jacks. I built my own rather than go with a 5looper because I could buil it in a box that was shallower than loooper.com uses. Also, I soldered george L cables directly to the 3pdt switches, and had them leave the looper through rubber grommets rather than putting in jacks. This also saved me $$$ since I only had to use 1 george L end per patch cord.

Anyways, having just built my own recently I thought I'd chime in and also brag about how cool my homemade one is (did I mention I also made it a power distributor for my pedalboard?)

;-)

20. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

:cool: dude! how cool! do you have a step by step with pictures :D