a loud, clean SS pedal platform: steel guitar amps?

Derelict

anybody ever use something like a fender steel or jazz king or a peavey nashville series steel guitar amp for a pedal platform? i am looking for something loud and clean with a nice bottom end for pedals and, at least on paper, these steel guitar amps seem to fit the bill. anybody with any experience

Mayflower

Silver Supporting Member
Used a Session 500, my buddy has it now.
With some pedals it will peel your face off and break every window in the house.
I am not sh&tting you.
Not very functional on stage.....but for fun....What a blast to make your friends ears bleed.
Don't get me wrong, use it at low volumes..awesome. After that it is just strictly a punishment.
If you get a deal on one buy it.
Sold mine for 200- and my pal was all over it.

Derelict

Used a Session 500, my buddy has it now.
With some pedals it will peel your face off and break every window in the house.
I am not sh&tting you.
Not very functional on stage.....but for fun....What a blast to make your friends ears bleed.
Don't get me wrong, use it at low volumes..awesome. After that it is just strictly a punishment.
If you get a deal on one buy it.
Sold mine for 200- and my pal was all over it.

what do you mean not functional on stage? does it get spikey at higher volumes?

kludge

The droid you're looking for
A Session 500 weighs over 90 pounds. They're monsters. Great-sounding amps, but... there are really two rigs that dominate pedal steel playing. The first is old Peaveys like the Session 500. The second is the Fender Twin. And honestly, a Twin sounds better as a pedal platform. What makes the Peavey popular is a: the Black Widow speaker, and b: the active eq, which isn't necessarily great for guitar. Oh, and the bottomless well of power is nice, because pedal steel requires a LOT more power than electric guitar for the same functional stage volume.

If you can find one, look for an Evans amp. It's a small amp popular with steel players, and rationally lightweight, unlike the Peavey and Fender amps.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom