• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

a loud, clean SS pedal platform: steel guitar amps?

Derelict

anybody ever use something like a fender steel or jazz king or a peavey nashville series steel guitar amp for a pedal platform? i am looking for something loud and clean with a nice bottom end for pedals and, at least on paper, these steel guitar amps seem to fit the bill. anybody with any experience

Mayflower

Gold Supporting Member
Used a Session 500, my buddy has it now.
With some pedals it will peel your face off and break every window in the house.
I am not sh&tting you.
Not very functional on stage.....but for fun....What a blast to make your friends ears bleed.
Don't get me wrong, use it at low volumes..awesome. After that it is just strictly a punishment.
If you get a deal on one buy it.
Sold mine for 200- and my pal was all over it.

Derelict

Used a Session 500, my buddy has it now.
With some pedals it will peel your face off and break every window in the house.
I am not sh&tting you.
Not very functional on stage.....but for fun....What a blast to make your friends ears bleed.
Don't get me wrong, use it at low volumes..awesome. After that it is just strictly a punishment.
If you get a deal on one buy it.
Sold mine for 200- and my pal was all over it.
what do you mean not functional on stage? does it get spikey at higher volumes?

kludge

The droid you're looking for
A Session 500 weighs over 90 pounds. They're monsters. Great-sounding amps, but... there are really two rigs that dominate pedal steel playing. The first is old Peaveys like the Session 500. The second is the Fender Twin. And honestly, a Twin sounds better as a pedal platform. What makes the Peavey popular is a: the Black Widow speaker, and b: the active eq, which isn't necessarily great for guitar. Oh, and the bottomless well of power is nice, because pedal steel requires a LOT more power than electric guitar for the same functional stage volume.

If you can find one, look for an Evans amp. It's a small amp popular with steel players, and rationally lightweight, unlike the Peavey and Fender amps.