A low watt amp to capture Ritchie Blackmore's tone

ajoep

Looking for that monster Marshall Major tone (i know it was heavily modded) in a small package (from 5 to 15 watts).
Any suggestions ?

ajoep

I'm looking for a straight into the amp setup. No gain pedals, no treble boosters...

eSS eSS

Got it. Closest I could think of at least Marshall-wise would be some of those mini-amps they have out...or a DSL40 set to the cleaner side of things.

AD1982

The history of what he played is kinda muddled.

I'm sure of the times the setups were as follows: an AC30 slaved into a Marshall Major or a Reel-to-Reel preamp into a Major.

I don't think you'll find a single small wattage amp to cover that tone, a nasally one at that. You'll need a pedal. Honestly, something like a old Peavey Butcher or Ultra 60 might cover it, because they're gainy and nasally naturally.

wrxplayer

Gold Supporting Member
The Laney Lionheart 5 watt amp does a pretty good job and delivering seriously good sounding M style cleans. Of the amps I know it's the one that nails your goal best but I'm sure there are more.

There's too much reverb in the demo but you get an idea of the amp's cleans w/a strat.

southy

Gries 15.
I can get a pretty convincing early Blackmore strat tone with the channel volumes dimed and jumpered, plugged straight in. A treble booster helps too. It's a MV amp, so you can bring that same tone down to a volume that won't blow out your eardrums.

kustombob

That sounded pretty darn close. Quite clean really. Its so easy to over dirt everything but so much old rock was not high gain at all.

woof*

I really don't hear anything special about Blackmore's tone. Strat > AC15.... turn the thing up. you're 90% of the way there.
Really?
I can tell Ritchie's tone instantly. He's unique, nobody sounds like him...Max gets close.

Coldacre

Really?
I can tell Ritchie's tone instantly. He's unique, nobody sounds like him...Max gets close.
but what I'm saying is that the amp doesn't matter that much with Ritchie. whether he's playing a 335 or a Strat... or an AC30 or a Marshall Major.... he still sounds like him.

pick attack, vibrato, tremolo use, phrasing.... those are the things unique to Blackmore, not the gear he's using.

Trending Topics