• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

A Marshall Vintage Modern for $500?

Telecaster62

I got an offer from a friend to buy his barely used Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern amp for $500. I've never played it or even heard it. He says it doesn't have enough gain for him. Is this a good deal or is the amp a dog? I don't need it but if it's a good deal I may have to explore the opportunity. Any info would be appreciated.

rydogg_sc2

For that deal you could buy then resell it and make at least $300. I personally think it is a pretty solid amp capable of many Marshall tones and one of the best new amps they have come out with in a while.

forgivenman

Silver Supporting Member
For that deal you could buy then resell it and make at least $300. I personally think it is a pretty solid amp capable of many Marshall tones and one of the best new amps they have come out with in a while.
Agreed- it's a great amp. It's basically a JCM 800 with great cleans.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
I bought and sold a mint one for $750, which was a great deal at the time so yeah, $500 is outstanding. That is assuming it works. It is NOT a dog at all--it's like any other head--sounds great with the right cab and guitar but can sound bad with the wrong match.

I have seen enough good deals on these though that it makes me laugh when I see the ads for $1100-$1200. The local GC was blowing them out at $999 a few weeks ago.

chmizell

Vintage Modern for 500? Buy it now!!! I got one of the GC blow outs! Used to have a Marshall Slash head. Stupidly sold it. Believe it or not, I like the Vintage Modern better! You gotta turn it up. Will sound like butt at anything below 4 on the master. Good news is, they are not incredibly loud. In fact, volume wise, they are on the lower side as Marshalls go. I think this is good, because I can crank it to 5 or 6 on the Master, which is where the sweet spot is, and its a manageable volume; and mine is a 100 watter! Another bonus, at least for me, is that it doesnt sound like everything else thats out there. Definitely MArshall sound, but more lows and low mids than EL34, a sweeter sounding top end too. I think its one of the most balanced amps I have played, from lows to mids to highs. It does have more "sag" to it than EL34 amps. Maybe a bit too compressed, but I really like it, and its a breeze to play. Very easy on sweeping, alternate picking, hammer ons.....not gonna have the razor clarity of an Uber, SLO, or something like that, but I like the looser high gain tones, i.e. Warren DeMartini, early George Lynch, VH...etc etc. Plus, the low dynamic range gives you a real cool vintage sound. The amp really like pedals too. Only complaint is the effects loop. Really hard to work with. Very finnicky. Went through like 6 delays, trying to find one that I thought worked well in there. I got a vintage DD2...which rules in most amps....sounded horrible in the VM loop. I ended up with a Hardwire DL-8 in there. But enything in the front end sounds great!

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
Vintage Modern for 500? Buy it now!!! I got one of the GC blow outs! Used to have a Marshall Slash head. Stupidly sold it. Believe it or not, I like the Vintage Modern better! You gotta turn it up. Will sound like butt at anything below 4 on the master. Good news is, they are not incredibly loud. In fact, volume wise, they are on the lower side as Marshalls go. I think this is good, because I can crank it to 5 or 6 on the Master, which is where the sweet spot is, and its a manageable volume; and mine is a 100 watter! Another bonus, at least for me, is that it doesnt sound like everything else thats out there. Definitely MArshall sound, but more lows and low mids than EL34, a sweeter sounding top end too. I think its one of the most balanced amps I have played, from lows to mids to highs. It does have more "sag" to it than EL34 amps. Maybe a bit too compressed, but I really like it, and its a breeze to play. Very easy on sweeping, alternate picking, hammer ons.....not gonna have the razor clarity of an Uber, SLO, or something like that, but I like the looser high gain tones, i.e. Warren DeMartini, early George Lynch, VH...etc etc. Plus, the low dynamic range gives you a real cool vintage sound. The amp really like pedals too. Only complaint is the effects loop. Really hard to work with. Very finnicky. Went through like 6 delays, trying to find one that I thought worked well in there. I got a vintage DD2...which rules in most amps....sounded horrible in the VM loop. I ended up with a Hardwire DL-8 in there. But enything in the front end sounds great!
This is just a guess as I don't know that pedal or amp real well. My understanding was that the hardwire series was designed to work at line level. Does the amp have a level adjustment on the loop? If not, it's probably designed to work with rack gear and it wouldn't be the amps fault for not liking certain pedals in there.

Telecaster62

The guy who has it is a traveling salesman with a large sales region. He's been on the road a lot and we haven't been able to hook up. He still has the head for sale. He may show up at our gig this weekend and if he does I'm going to pin him down on a time to go over to his warehouse and play it.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
The Vintage Modern definitely has the classic Marshall vibe. For $500 I'd jump on it.

Trending Topics