A Mild Microphone Case Rant

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by LSchefman, Mar 11, 2006.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

OK, here it is. You buy a decent or even very good mic. You open the cardboard shipping box, and in it you find:

A mic in a nice, sometimes even fancy, hard case;

A shockmount in some packing material that doesn't fit in the mic case;

Maybe even a power supply and dedicated power supply/mic cabling in some packing material that also doesn't fit in the mic case;

OK, what is the point of the nice hard case or box for the mic, when you're going to have to find somewhere else to put the accessories, and possibly misplace them??

This happened when I bought the Blue Kiwi. Gorgeous mic box made out of cherry wood came with it that fit only the mic, leaving the included shock mount an orphan. My new GT67 came with a hard case for the mic, leaving the included shock mount, cabling and power supply orphans. My U89? Nice mic box, no place for the shock mount.

Am I going to have a bunch of large, cheesy looking cardboard boxes sitting around my nice studio just to keep the mic stuff togethe? Not likely. The cardboard boxes go in the storage room. The whole concept defeats the purpose of the nice box for the mic, doesn't it?

You know who has the right idea? Rode. Their tube mics come in a big plastic injection molded box that isn't pretty, but there's room for the shockmount, the power supply, the cable and the mic, and they have just enough padding to protect the mic. Not fancy. Works fine. You need to include a wooden box for the mic? Fine. Stick it in the plastic thing, too. Plenty of room.

I would MUCH rather have everything together in one place than have to hunt for several pieces separately, and frankly, while wooden boxes are very cute, if they don't have room for the included accessories, what is the friggin' point?

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

I hear you.
    I agree.

3. stratofied

stratofied Member

I use these for my high end mics.

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Hey, Stratofied...funny you should mention the Pelican cases, I was just looking at some today. I used them for camera gear for years.

They're good products. Too bad you have to buy one separately just to keep the mic stuff together.

5. stratofied

stratofied Member

True that. When I bought my Lawson L47mp years ago it came in a pelican case with room for the power supply and cables. It was so nice to have I decided to get cases for my other mics. Another nice thing about them is that if you decide later to use the case for a different mic or something else you can just order replacement foam.

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Yup.

I have a M149 in a beautiful mahogany (?) case while the power supply, cables and shockmount are stuffed (barely) in the big black cardboard box it all came in.

I was going to mention Pelican cases as a good alternative. I've used them for Scuba gear for years. Great product! They're not as pretty – nor as costly – as wood, but I don't care. Lawson has the right idea.

One caveat: they are watertight and airtight, if the O-ring seal is seated properly. I would keep a fresh package of dessicant material in the case (away from the capsule, just to play it smart) and replace it when needed.

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

It's a good idea, and Michael's idea about the dessicant is good if there are humidity problems (in michigan, we don't have as bad a problem).

8. stratofied

stratofied Member

I keep the desiccant that comes in a small metal box with a color indicator to show if it has absorbed moisture and needs to be dried out. So far I have never had to dry them.