A mini pedal to give me a super sparkly clean boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by OotMagroot, Mar 7, 2020.

1. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I've seen this asked before. But, I thought we should revisit this subject (how nice of me, eh?)

I play though a clean amp (HRD) that I have set up on the warm side so my overdrives sound the best they can running through such a thing (the way my ears hear things at least).

SO.....if I play with none of my overdrives on, I do get a nice round tone, however I would like a boost that makes things louder (duh) and super sparkly with an enhanced high end.

I'd prefer a mini pedal too.

I'm using my Fuzz Face to kinda do that now, but it is a bitch to switch from the rolled back cleans on that to another dirt sound - plus, the knobs are not where I like them for normal Fuzz Face operation.

I'm currently using a mini Spark Boost and I tried using my Mooer Yellow Comp to do that but I'm not totally happy with either of those solultions. I also have the MXR mini boost. It's way too dark.

I would maybe like to try the Sonic Blue Twanger from One Control. Maybe the EQD Tone Job (although again, I'd prefer a mini pedal...I could probably get a full sized pedal to fit though). Mooer Pure boost perhaps?

WHATYA GOT?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  2. Slow Graffiti

Slow Graffiti Supporting Member

Foxpedal Ebenezer
    JHS Prestige
    Xotic EP Booster
    MXR Micro Amp
    Strymon OB.1 (not mini)

Though, for the sparkly high end, have you considered an EQ pedal?

The Hot Rod Deluxe has two inputs; input 2 is darker. You could get a small A/B switch and toggle between the two for this. JHS has a mini A/B box.

Are you playing primarily with single coils? Especially with those, keeping the tone or even just the volume rolled off a bit will give the option to roll to 10 and get the extra bit of high end back.

sixesandsevens likes this.
  3. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

FFOGG and wannabeatle like this.
  4. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

Super hard on has such high input impedance that it will definitely add presence if connected directly to guitar (no buffers on betwixt). Very transparent, loud, and clean.

jgyn, fuzzrhythm and wannabeatle like this.
  5. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

6. cowbellfever

cowbellfever Member

Put the spark booster mini into the amps Effects loop for a pure clean boost.
    Putting anything into a amps input set to higher gain at or near breakup it will interact with the preamp and eq.
    Putting a boost into the effects loop will boost the sound you have going through the preamp.
    I use the spark booster mini for this task live.

7. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I think the 4-5 flavors of the SolidGoldFX mini boosters are cool and worth checking out.

[​IMG]

8. skiltrip

skiltrip Supporting Member

EQ pedal. Set the EQ however you want it so it sparkles and give it as much volume boost as you need.

Ray175, phazersonstun and wannabeatle like this.
  9. Madison

Madison Member

This. A Boss eq according to Tom Bukovac is the best clean boost. Just opinion but solid imo.+

stanshall, GenoVox, b80 and 2 others like this.
  10. Qstick333

Qstick333 Member

I wish I could get one that was true bypass. I’m not super snobby about it, but I really don’t like the boss buffer and the way it makes my board sound (to me)

Joe O and Funky54 like this.
  11. lefromagegrand

lefromagegrand Member

Maybe try a different compressor. My old TRex Comp Nova does what you're looking for... adds a bit of sparkle and starts adding a modest boost if the Level Control is above noon.

Maybe a newer offering that has a tone control built in might be better ... I think Wampler and Friedman have these ... I'm sure there are others too.

12. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

Junco Partner and oildrops like this.
  13. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Supporting Member

This is a great suggestion! And, as a bonus, the pedals themselves are sparkly...and that can't hurt.

14. Rydock

Rydock Member

Klon style pedal with the gain set low and volume just a hair above unity.

Also, for what it’s worth, I find my HRD takes my overdrive and fuzz pedals better with the bright switch on, and treble/presence rolled down a bit to compensate. I normally find bright caps too fizzy with pedals on most other amps, but it works great on the HRD. I end up having a very usable clean tone as a result.

15. OotMagroot

Forgot to mention that I tried this one too. Great boost, but I couldn't get it loud and clean enough, once I started driving up the volume it would max out and I'd be forced to add drive. I did love that pedal though.

16. OotMagroot

Tried what I'm after with two klones. Good results, but it seemed to make my tone more rounder rather than sparkly. I'm just getting into Klones so I'm probably doing something wrong. I'm using a DCW Klone that does have a nice crispy high end once you turn the tone knob up. I'm not sure if all Klones are supposed to do that.

I've found I would rather increase the presence rather than activate the bright switch, but yes I see where you're coming from there and I used to do the same thing. And yes, I have found that most drives and (especially) fuzzes sound great right into the front end. And, thank you!

17. OotMagroot

Oooh, I forgot about these. I wonder which would be best? I'll have to do some research. Thanks for the reminder.

monkmiles likes this.
  18. OotMagroot

I guess I'm gonna have to try one of these sooner or later. I really did not want to use a compressor do get this type of sound, but if it gets me there - of course I have no qualms.

19. eltorrero

eltorrero Member

Xotic Super Clean sir! check this

coopdeville78 likes this.