• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

A moment or two of sympathy for GC

chillybilly

Just returned from a few non-music-related errands but as I was close to GC I stopped in to buy...a music stand. I have railed against the use of stands on a stage (unless you're seated and playing an orchestra instrument) but for rehearsal purposes they can be indispensable - and a damn sight cheaper than paying for another iKlip.

Apparently the watchword has gone out at GC - kill them with kindness. I wasn't greeted this warmly by so many people the last time I dropped three and a half bills at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. I was hello-how-are-you'd in the hallway leading to the restrooms...by the guy pacing the entry to the drum room...by the guy AND the girl in the live sound department...and by the guy in the guitar department. An optimist might say it's nice of them to take an interest...a pessimist might say it's a last-ditch attempt to make to their sales numbers and they are closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.

The Gemütlichkeit dissipated quickly when it became clear I had entered for one lone inexpensive item and did not need strings, picks, gongs, ukuleles or congas.

But while I awaited the checkout procedure at one of the department's registers, an individual standing at the next register was throwing multiple tantrums. Relying strictly on his 'outside voice' thus making his narrative unavoidable, this person had a mid-tier acoustic guitar in its case with the cover open. The backstory, tragic as it was, was the instrument belonged to a US serviceman who lost his life. Not sure if it was combat or even military-related but the current owner's sentiment didn't extend as far as keeping his departed's guitar. As has been discussed here many times, selling used gear and/or trade-ins at GC is usually a guaranteed loser. They will look up 5 recent transactions on eBay and take half that figure (e.g. Pedal A sells for 65, 70, 75, 80 and 85. They offer half of the average 75 = 37.50).

The staffer explained their rather simple formula and even turned his display around to show his math and offered $450. Shouty Sam was apoplectic. 'That's a $1200 guitar! It's virtually untouched!' Sam warmed to his task. 'In fact, it's new!' The staffer politely pointed out that it wasn't technically new and even if it were GC could not advertise/sell it as such for obvious reasons. 'You're gonna mark that thing up to $800-900 and sell it! Someone's going to get a steal!' Well, Sam, that is the general idea in any business model especially in used items. And so he thought it was haggle time at the flea market and was berating the poor clerk at length. 'Gimme $500 and we're done! $500 and I leave now! $500! Come on! You can do that!' He paced in a circle like a caged lion. An act? Really this obnoxious? Hard to tell.

'I don't make the rules, sir' said the staffer with a mix of impatience, desperation and finality, staring at his monitor in the tradition of airline ticket agents who wish to avoid eye contact with irate passengers.

I gave an exaggerated eye roll to the staffer ringing my transaction to express a bit of solidarity with them in dealing with the clueless and/or the rude. I nearly broke 'the fourth wall' to intercede with Shouty Sam and explain a) that I had dealt with GC's policy before and it was as inflexible as they claimed and b) if he wanted anything more than 50% of market value (whatever that actually might be) he would have to rely on the usual internet sales vehicles.

Unfortunately, I can't provide an definitive ending to the story, happy or otherwise, as I hied it out of there with Shouty's voice still reverberating. If he got his extra $50 he certainly didn't deserve it given his histrionics. That ever-growing cynical part of me couldn't help but wonder if he'd come by this instrument via less honorable means and if the dead soldier wasn't a complete fiction. I do hope the GCers held fast - poor souls.

Unnecessary

If you want good money for used gear, sell it yourself....duh..

I can say I have had GC look up the totally wrong instrument and make an offer, but politely explaining to them there is a big difference between what they are looking at onscreen and what I have in my case was simple enough.

Muffdriver

Silver Supporting Member
I think a music stand on stage for the vocalist is fine no? Especially for a cover band with over 100 songs in the repertoire.

chillybilly

I think a music stand on stage for the vocalist is fine no? Especially for a cover band with over 100 songs in the repertoire.

With no malice intended I say no. A vocalist who doesn't play an instrument can be reasonably expected to learn at least some lyrics.

I know every note and solo cold and sing lead on 1/3 of each set...I make it a point of pride and performance QA to know the lyrics so that I can concentrate on what's happening in the here and now. Lyrics are better than forgetting the words entirely but only just. They are invariably a crutch and detract from vocalist performance by anchoring them to one spot.

In this day and age there are ways....ipad first and foremost....to make the lyrics available without a music stand and thick lyric book.

catpeople

No. The vocalist has one job: remember lyrics. Unless I'm watching a people playing new material with no rehearsals, or a symphony orchestra playing long, difficult pieces, I better not see anyone looking up lyrics or chords. Especially when TGP members' bands mostly play brain dead three-chord rock covers everybody has heard a million times.

I'll gtfo at the first sign of music stands, cargo shorts, sandals or Hawaiian shirts, because it's obvious that gig is going to be a TGP sh1tshow of Mustang Sally, out of tune bends, and pentatonic licks even T-Bone found boring 50 years ago.

Baminated

Oy you coulda just said there was a loud douchebag making a scene trying to sell his dead friends guitar for full retail

80tiger

Platinum Supporting Member
Agreed. Good story. GC is what it is. Don't pick on the poor (literally it seems all too often) clerks.

Strat_lover

Fairly off topic, but I work at my local mom and pop store, and this reminded me of one of my personal experience being on staff there.

First thing in the morning. A couple I recognized, but did not know by name, came in, with some upright bass strings to exchange.

The box was slightly tattered, and they did not immediately present a receipt, so I asked how long ago they had purchased them.

"Oh a couple months ago. I lost the receipt. They weren't the ones I wanted. I'd like to exchange them for another set."

Sounds fair. We have a thirty day return policy, but have bent the rules for other people before. Being as the strings they wanted were a more costly set, I decided If all the strings inside are still in their sealed packages, I would do the exchange.

So I pop open the box, begin looking at the strings, when a slip of paper falls out.

A receipt.

"Oh there it is!!" The wife says, with both of them looking uncomfortably surprised.

I am thinking this will make my job even easier. No hunting for the purchase date from the items inventory history. So I unfold the receipt and read the purchase date...

December. 2012.

... Did I mention this was two weeks ago? September, 2014?

So. Now that the fact these people are liars, and knew darn well they purchased them nearly two years ago, it's time to ask the boss. The owner of our one location. The guy who pays the bills. The guy whose money we would be giving back to these people.

Shocker. He says absolutely not.

So I go back, and inform them of this. They can not believe it. After all the money they've spent with us over the years. And this is the thanks they get. And they'll just have to take their business elsewhere.

Some people man. Some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sleshnyc

Silver Supporting Member
No. The vocalist has one job: remember lyrics. Unless I'm watching a people playing new material with no rehearsals, or a symphony orchestra playing long, difficult pieces, I better not see anyone looking up lyrics or chords. Especially when TGP members' bands mostly play brain dead three-chord rock covers everybody has heard a million times.

I'll gtfo at the first sign of music stands, cargo shorts, sandals or Hawaiian shirts, because it's obvious that gig is going to be a TGP sh1tshow of Mustang Sally, out of tune bends, and pentatonic licks even T-Bone found boring 50 years ago.

My singer uses 'cheat sheets' in a binder on the floor by his monitor. I dont love it, but it's what he does. I will say however in no uncertain terms our shows are NOT REMOTELY 'a TGP sh1tshow of Mustang Sally, out of tune bends, and pentatonic licks even T-Bone found boring 50 years ago.' Feel free to check for yourself at www.thefrydaddys.com

FWIW, many of your faves are using teleprompters.

jtm622

...The staffer explained their rather simple formula and even turned his display around to show his math and offered $450. Shouty Sam was apoplectic. 'That's a $1200 guitar! It's virtually untouched!' Sam warmed to his task. 'In fact, it's new!'
No, it's not a $1200 guitar... Its intrinsic value is $600, which is approximately what a dealer would pay for a new one - so it's NOW a $600 guitar...

:)

this reminded me of one of my personal experience being on staff there.
Some customers will actually accept this answer and return anyway.

Hard to say for certain how much money he made off them in the past, or whether the owner would just rather let it get around he was a tough, no compromises retail store.

I'm gonna try not to be too judgmental of that store. There's strengths and weaknesses to GC's anything goes return policy. I have seen people buy sound systems, use them over an extended weekend then return them to GC and they had worked great, best I could tell. It sure would be hard for a mom and pop to have this kind of return policy right next door to GC, but they're never going to be everywhere.

What is this shop going to do with 2 year old upright bass strings? I don't want them.

Top Bottom