• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

A multi fx unit that sounds analog ?

Telejester

I really hate the sounds of digital fx with a passion and all the pedals on my pedal train classic board at home are analog types. I'm highly dubious as to whether a multi fx can produce sounds as good as my dm2-waza delay, diamond cpr1 Compressor, mxr234 chorus etc without the digital traits of harshness, coldness and sterility being present. Are there units out there with the natural warmth and musicality that is an analog pedal trademark ? I remember the days when I owned a Digitech rp6 and dear oh dear. I quite like the idea behind the ax8 but haven't tried one yet.

TimeSnow

Well ok.

First there's plenty of analog multi-fx-units.

Second, what have you tried? The Fractal stuff sounds amazing with none of the issues you mentioned.

I'd wager if you did a blind a/b with the Fractal stuff you'd be unable to tell it's digital.

Some people don't like the drives, but others like them enough that they sold all of their boutique drives after using the Fractal drives for a while.

ibis

Still enjoying my old Digitech RP1000. I use it for covers band versatility and amplify it with a Bassman RI or original Roland Blues Cube 3x10. I often get compliments on the sound. Its not perfect but picking up one used is a very cheap option if you want to dabble.

Telejester

Well ok.

First there's plenty of analog multi-fx-units.

Second, what have you tried? The Fractal stuff sounds amazing with none of the issues you mentioned.

I'd wager if you did a blind a/b with the Fractal stuff you'd be unable to tell it's digital.

Some people don't like the drives, but others like them enough that they sold all of their boutique drives after using the Fractal drives for a while.
What criticisms have been aimed at the drive tones ?

TimeSnow

What criticisms have been aimed at the drive tones ?
Well, people - some - think that particularly the fuzzes aren't right, because the way the circuit works they have to come after a buffer... Which you know can make fuzzes behave a bit weird. If you're not riding your volume and tone knobs they're very good.

The drives themselves - minus the fuzzes - are frankly indistinguishable from the real deals. There's videos around if you do a bit of searching.

Back when I had an fx8 everyone - my band mates, punters, sound guys, other musicians - all thought my rig sounded amazing. And it did.

Def check it out.

From a purely pedal point of view its probably the best option if you want digital. If you want amps etc the Helix is also great and wonderful sounding... And the fuzzes on it are actually amazing...

But if you MUST go analog, like I said earlier, there's a wide variety of options... Some of which are brilliant.

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
Most modern multi-fx can meet and exceed the sounds produced by the pedals you mentioned, imo. I really don't think words like "harsh, cold and sterile" have been accurate for the digital realm for a long time now. I mean, the Line 6 DL4, for example, which has been used on countless recordings and been on countless pro pedalboards, has been around for over 15 years now.

Noise Under The Floor

A happy-go-lucky chap, always dressed in black.
Platinum Supporting Member
I really hate the sounds of digital fx with a passion and all the pedals on my pedal train classic board at home are analog types. I'm highly dubious as to whether a multi fx can produce sounds as good as my dm2-waza delay, diamond cpr1 Compressor, mxr234 chorus etc without the digital traits of harshness, coldness and sterility being present. Are there units out there with the natural warmth and musicality that is an analog pedal trademark ? I remember the days when I owned a Digitech rp6 and dear oh dear. I quite like the idea behind the ax8 but haven't tried one yet.
Funny you should mentions the RP6, because I've always thought the RP1000 effects sounded pretty close to analog. The model of the Electric Mistress on the RP1000 even included the original's slight volume drop when engaged. Their model of the DM-2 was pretty spot on as well IMO. The amp sims weren't all that great though.

Any time I've tried a Fractal unit, I've found the effects to be excellent, but VERY slick/refined sounding, too a fault. I couldn't dial in anything delay or modulation-wise that sounded close to analog personally, but it might have just been me.

The effects in the Helix are pretty damn good, and analog sounding. Miles better than any effects in L6's previous units. That's just my opinion though. I never liked their effects before, but love what they did with them in the Helix. They're headed in the right direction.

FPFL

Silver Supporting Member
I can set the mix on my phasers with the AX8 so they are never 100% off... just like my Boss Ph-1r is always on 5% even when it's bypassed.

I could also make the virtual TS9 snowier when engaged or set the bypassed wah to flatten the life out of my tone - like my original CB did.

Ahhh the analog days of yore!

Pixies2005

The drives on the RP500 and 1000 do a damn fine job of recreating their analogue counterparts AND let you tweak them beyond their normal realms.

I used one to figure out what drives worked for me and didn't and then slowly bought the analogue versions.

The only reason I ditched the RP was my aversion to menu tweaking.

Keeley is making a whole range of analogue & digital multi fx workstations. I own and love the Loomer and have played the basic Workstation. Maybe check them out.

rsm

Old Boss ME-5 or ME-10. IIRC, these were still all/mostly analog MFX.

Fractal Audio

There was this rackmount unit that came out a few years ago that was all analog effects with digital control. I forget the name of it. I don't know if it is still made. It got good reviews but was quite expensive IIRC. A little Googling should find it.

Al Varez

Your basis for what modern digital effects sound like is based on a consumer grade unit released 20 years ago? The question you should be asking is whether your antiquated analog effects can sound as good as modern digital effects.

Rodey99

There was this rackmount unit that came out a few years ago that was all analog effects with digital control. I forget the name of it. I don't know if it is still made. It got good reviews but was quite expensive IIRC. A little Googling should find it.
You may be thinking of the pedal pro. Sounds great but a little pricy, and I'm not sure if it's still being supported.

http://www.vintage-revolution.com/products/pedalpro/

1224 Lee

Roland gp8. Hunt one down, is 8? Real boss pedals in a rack. MIDI too. They got it right first time. No idea why I ditched mine, maybe because it was 120v and I ran it with adapter in U.K.

Also maxon/ ibanez have a floor mult fx unit thats real pedals in one unit. Earlier ones have real (vintage) tube screamers.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom