A new 2x12 cab ... which one?!? <m>

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Deacon, May 12, 2008.

1. Deacon

Deacon Member

My #1 amp is a Fuchs ODS 50 head.

I play it through one of two cabs right now. One's a Mesa 1x12 3/4 back with a Celestion G12H-150 in it. The other is an opn back Avatar 2x12 with Celestion G12H-30's.

I've been looking at 2x12 cabs, and have read a lot of good stuff about THD 2x12's. I also have thought about getting a Fuchs 2x12 to go along the ODS.

Oh ... and I'm also hoping to get a Reeves Custom 50 head at some point in the not too distant future, so I'd like a cab that would be great for both amps.

Any recommendations from y'all as far as great sounding 2x12?

Appreciate it.

2. gibson335

gibson335 Member

Greetings mate, Dr.Z's Z Best 2X12 cab. Ported & loud as sin, mine came loaded with G12H30 & V30. Swapped the V30 with a Alnico blue, sounds great!!! I've heard good things about the THD 212 cabs. GOOD LUCK...

3. mbetter

mbetter Member

Your Avatar 2x12 sounds like a good one to me. Maybe try getting a partial back panel for it? If I remember correctly, Avatar won't sell you the back panel by itself so you'd have to make one or have one made.

4. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

When I bought my Avatar a couple years ago the open back panel could be bought for $29. Maybe things have changed?

5. mbetter

mbetter Member

It says this on the FAQ:

I'm sure it would be worth a call, though.

6. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

Hehe interesting

7. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

I have had many cabinets of all types and configurations. My favorite 2 x 12 is made by Stone Age Custom Cabinets. Each one is hand carved and John uses the best woods combined with fabulous workmanship. Whatever speaker configuration you use will sound good in his cabs. I have a 2 x 12 with Celestion Heritage G12-H65"s. They are expensive but I found them to be the best at delivering sparkling cleans along with crushing overdrive tones. They sort of sound like greenbacks but with a tighter bass response. I think my setup would sound great with your Fuchs. I use mine with an Egnater Mod 50 and Ceriatone Expression, but have tested it with various Bogners, Orange, Mesa and Marshalls and all of them sounded great. The cabs are pricey, but in this case I got what I paid for.

8. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

JDesign 2x12 Vintage. Jeff builds awesome cabs, and his prices are very good for what you get. You can add a convertible back or all sorts of other things.

www.jdesigncabs.com

9. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Marshall 2061CX. More thump is hard to find.

10. minjason

minjason Member

I had a 2X12 Avatar with G12H30s that I used with my BF Bassman and my Divided by 13 EDT 13/29...for quality and price, Avatar cabs are tough to beat IMO. Not only that, but Dave's customer service is absolutely first-rate...you should definitely give him a call.