A new cab for a Blues Junior

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Charlie_Strat, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Charlie_Strat

Charlie_Strat Member

Has anyone tried a Fender Blues Junior with a 2x12" cab loaded with an Alnico Blue and a G12H30?

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

And why won't Fender offer at least one run of heads?

3. npirt.89

npirt.89 Member

A buddy of mine has a blues junior and runs it through a 2x12 avatar cab. not sure what speakers he has, but it does make it sound bigger. I just remember it sounding very bright and tingy...not great tone...but that probably had nothing to do with the amp...that most likely the player...

4. Charlie_Strat

Charlie_Strat Member

Ok, bright and tingy, I guess that's a bad point. What kind of guitar does he use with it?

Anyone else?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  5. Charlie_Strat

Charlie_Strat Member

6. RCM78

RCM78 Member

I use a 2X12 cab with greenbacks in it. It's definitely bigger sounding then the stock speaker...

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

That'd be interesting, does anyone offer an aftermarket head cab?

8. Robertito

Robertito Member

I just ordered a pine Blues Jr. cab from Mather Cab in Nashville; very nice people, and they used to make cabs for Carr amps, as I understand it. I haven't received it yet, but I'm sure they'll do a head cab for you if you ask.

9. Charlie_Strat

Charlie_Strat Member

Well, I wrote an e-mail to Pete from Mather Cabs asking if they could do a Head Cab for a Blues Junior with "Bluesbreaker Cosmetics" to match my Avatar G212 Cab. He said they'll do it. I think I'll go for it. The only thing that worried me is the speaker combination of my cab to get along with the Blues Junior (G12H30 & Alnico Blue).

10. Charlie_Strat

Charlie_Strat Member

Come on guys, Nobody ever here used a Celestion Blue in a Blues Junior???

11. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

The biggest complaint about BJ amps is they sound boxy with the tiny cab and the stock speaker. Running one through a good 2x12 makes a dramatic difference. I haven't done the specific combination the OP asked about, but they do sound pretty darn good through my 2x12 loaded with a Tone Tubby ceramic and a Tone Tubby AlNiCo.

12. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I bought an Eminence Red Fang which is apparently the Emminence take on a Celestion Blue. I had to return it since the cover on the magnet was too tall and the speaker would not fit into the cab (without grinding away a piece of the amp chassis). If the Celestion Blue has a similarly sized cover then it might not fit either, which might explain why no-one has tried one.

Based on personal experience and opther people's recommendation, I'd say that the combination of a G12H30 and a V30 would sound a great. I've not tried the V30, but the G12H30 is a fab speaker with the Blues Jnr. I also like the Swamp Thang.

13. indolent_music

indolent_music Member

Did you end up ordering the head unit, and if so how much was it? Also, did you have to change anything in order to reposition the tubes?

Thanks!
    AF

14. Charlie_Strat

Charlie_Strat Member

I'll do it in a couple of months ($$$ issues). I have a draw that Pete send to me, I'll post that one later. The tubes remain the same. About the price, it was around $245 + shipping if I remember.

15. Charlie_Strat

Charlie_Strat Member

Here's the draw that Pete sent to me...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  16. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

That drawing reminded me, one of the maddening things about my old BJ cab is that the handle is dinky. It takes some doing just fitting my hand under it its so short. And I don't have huge paws or anything. Maybe they put a full sized one on the later versions. I sure have been tempted to do it myself, but I know collectors like every thing stock, so just in case I ever have to sell it... :rotflmao

17. indolent_music

indolent_music Member

18. paul14470

paul14470 Member

cool...wonder if he could mount 2-6" speakers in the front to use as a combo/head?