A new look for TES?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LL1, May 21, 2006.

1. LL1

LL1 Member

[​IMG]

After a long wait, it finally is here. My second digital delay.:eek:

I wasn't expecting the new look. Seems like a better layout for foot control though. Anyone else seen it set up this way?

I don't see anything on Pete's website about the TES? Sorry if this is this old news, just thought I'd share info and pic.

No TTE or Echoczar to compare but the DMM, MemLane, Prisoner, Moog104SD, and the Echodrive Blue and Red+ should make for good A/B testing for days. :crazy

2. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

3. LL1

LL1 Member

I had to do somthing with my DD-2, It ended up in my drum machine rig, seemed like a waste. Worth the beans?.... to early to tell.

4. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

It looks smaller than the old one. That's a good thing. The only bummer with Cornish stuff is the boxes are freakin huge.

The old TES was in a duplex box turned sideways. That looks like his single effect size...

So, how much was that sucker? 15?

5. lv

lv Supporting Member

Love the new look. Can't wait for mine.

6. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

Cool - whats the dimensions??

Petes agreed to make me a P1!

7. radcliff

radcliff Member

are these for military use?

seriously, its like they're designed for combat with the labels and LEDs

8. Stanley

What does one of these bad boys sound like??

Expensive??

9. LL1

LL1 Member

To answer all questions:

expensive, yes

$1599.00 total cost w/delivery :crazy

dimensions 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" x 2" or 2 1/2" w/ knobs&switchs

and Yes, I believe it is military grade.:)

Sound wise, I have not had much time yet to compare but I have been testing it alittle bit with max time and as much feedback and repeat needed to keep it on going. It will eventually go up against all the delays listed previously. I hate to give a mis represented view on it now since I just got. So I am not really going to list any comparison results right away. Although the stabilty,clarity and quietness are obvious right away.
    It reminds me of a cross between two or three analog delays I have.

I wish my Echoczar was ready or had a TTE to compare as well.

10. g.griffith

g.griffith Member

That is a nice new design, a bit smaller and down to the size of the current duplexes. The larger red LED at the top is new too; is it a tempo pulsar?

11. landru64

landru64 Member

i'm not sure what the red light is for. there's a new feature... the x4 knob. the first edition that i have uses one of the stomp buttons to turn the TES (filtered repeats, a little gain boost) part of the delay on and off. now this button goes to quadrupling the delay time. i asked pete about this change and haven't heard back. i do have the manuals in pdf for the new one if anyone wants to see them.

12. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I would really appreciate that. Supposedly, I have one on reserve. By the way, your mailbox is full.

13. landru64

landru64 Member

send me an email and i'll forward the files

14. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Can someone post a pic of the old TES for comparison?

PS> Hey Andrew, can ya send me a copy of the manual too? brian734 at comcast ...thanks dude.

15. g.griffith

g.griffith Member

16. landru64

landru64 Member

i gotta say.... i've never been happier with a product than i am with the TES. it sounds ridiculous. never an issue. it's even tough to scratch it!

17. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Can someone post sound clips A/B ing this with amny of the delays out there. I think it would do some justice, and debunk some of the hype...

18. Stanley

Whats the delay like compared to soemthing like a Eventide or TC2290

What so damn special about it in words?? Its a pedal im very interested in

Cheers

19. landru64

landru64 Member

i owned a 2290 plus every high end lexicon delay made since about 1980. the 2290 is cleaner and clearer and more hi-fi sounding compared to the cornish, if i remember the 2290 well enough. the cornish is tonally very similar to the best classic lexicon delay like the pcm42, although its darkest TES setting can be darker than even the pcm41.

it is rich and thick and yet clear. the delayed notes on the cornish have girth like the best rack delays a la lexicon.... unlike every other delay pedal i've ever tried. they have a thick, rich, as-if-it-were-produced-mechanically kind of sound that is involving. the way the repeats merge into one another later in the decay is like a great tape echo in that they create a large, smooth sound field that is reverb-like. think steve morse's best sound from the 90s before he went digitech. or eric johnson's echoplex sound.

the delayed repeats sit in a mix incredibly well and sound musical but not overpowering, or thin, muddy or weak. the TES' darkest setting doesn't truly duplicate the (what i think is the) pitch warble of a tape echo. the chandler echo does that part better, but is quite a bit thinner sounding.

it's only special because it's the ONLY pedal i know about that does what i attempted to describe above. if you don't want to use rack gear, what's it worth to you if you have to have a delay that is just that good? to respond to people who ask if it's hype, i ask you all to be logical. it's very simple. either a delay at 1500 bucks is a) preposterously overpriced and playing on some vanity or other irrational need of the buyer or b) actually unique enough to command that price to people who care enough. funny that probably no one sat around on message boards (BBS's then!) saying that a lexicon PCM42 @ $1500 (in late 80s dollars no less) was stupid or made of hype. just because it's a pedal? i'm only interested in sound, not prejudice based on form factor or any other precedent. sound is 100% of the reason i bought a TES.

the only other delay i BELIEVE could live up to the standard that the TES sets in pedal delays is the echoczar, but i have yet to experience it firsthand.

20. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Hey! Mass Street Music is my local guitar store!! :AOK