A new p90 convert! Thanks guys!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rorschah, Aug 30, 2005.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

I'd always dug the sensitivity of single coil, and the richness of humbuckers, and, after some advice from you folks, decided to go p90.

First p90 experience: new PRS Soapbar SE. Ended up disliking the fretboard (too flat) and the sound from the pickups (ultracompressed). Sent it back.

Second p90 experience: decided to combine my desire for a jazz guitar with a p90 experiment. Followed a recommendation of Jim Soloway's on a budget jazz guitar thread here and ebayed in a 1957 thinline Gibson ES125 with one, lone, beautiful p90 in the neck.

Result: I'm in looove, looove, looove.

This thing is a beauty, man. Open, luscious, beautiful. Warm, rich sound, without being gross or fat. It is the very opposite of muddy. Supersensitive. Thud it with my thumb and I get big fat bassy farts. Pluck it soft with my fingernails and I get a treble rich in harmonics. Snap it with my pick and I can get barky, rough, bluesy notes. It's sooo freakin' vocal.

It's pretty much perfect for what I've been playing lately, too - blues with pick and fingers. I can park the settings so that I can access soft, sweet, lush sounds, and pretty intense distortion, just right hand control.

I'm sure all you p90 folk already know all about this. Just wanted to express my appreciation. A new convert.

-thi

2. smilefan

smilefan Member

Welcome to the club!

P-90's are an essential flavor in a guitarist's kitchen.

My first was many years ago, before 'vintage' guitars existed,
    a bought a real 1958 ES-330 dot-neck with dog-ear P-90's
    for $325. Just like you say, it taught me to use my hands
    for all my tonal and dynamic colors, as the old Gibson P-90s
    are so responsive.

In fact, I wasn't happy with my current #1 (Anderson Hollow
    Cobra) until I installed a couple Wolfetone P-90's in it.
    Now its yummy.

So many great P-90 driven tones out there. From vintage Jim Hall cool to the fat rock tones of Social Distortion (P-90-loaded LP's
    thru Bassman heads)

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

A P90 pickup picks up every iota of your technique. If you're sloppy, a P90 will rat you out.

4. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

haha, your not kidding!!!!

i just got that sg firebrand with phat cats and they definetly arent as forgiving as humbuckers. but, i think i am getting less sloppy, which is definetly a good thing.

5. rorschah

rorschah Member

What I don't get is: all over the place, I read that the hotter your pickup, the less sensitive it is, right? That's why some people go for vintage repros over hotter pickups.

But if a p90 is just a way-hot single coil, shouldn't it be much less sensitive than, say, traditional strats and teles?

But it ain't, not in my book. It's different - I feel like my strat, for example, is way more responsive to my fretting hand technique, but the p90 ES125 is way more responsive to pick/finger attack. (But maybe that's more neck/body)

Man, I'm tempted to convert one of my two gigging guitars to p90-alike. Either the strat or the tele. I fear for the safety of the ES125 if I ever strapped it on for anything more... er, active. D'ya know if the p90-alikes (Fralins, HD) have the same ultraresponsiveness?

-thi

6. rorschah

rorschah Member

Funny.

Before I played guitar, I was a classical pianist.

More than any other guitar I've played, the hollowbody p90 feels like playing a good grand piano felt, just in how much tonal variety I could access with careful playing.

Except this one can go *CRUNCH*.

(Without me dropping it off a building.)

7. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

I know what you mean! I just bought my first P90 guitar this year and I can't believe i waited this long. To me they're just a perfect cross between a humbucker and a single coil in tone. You can get all the raunch of a humbucker (plus snarl!), and all the clean of a Strat. I just love the rolled-off guitar volume clean tone you can get.

As long as you're not playing somewhere with crappy wiring you're laughing. They can be wayyyy noisy in the wrong environments - their only drawback in my opinion.

Jim

8. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

...and so the p90 longing continues to grow... this is a very dangerous place. my gear list (however short) is pretty much a reflection of builders/brands I've come to know of strictly through forums like this.

9. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

do it, slowburn, do it...

you know you wanna

10. slowburn

I wonder how a p90 equipped pickguard would sound dropped into my grosh....

11. shadco

shadco Member

P90 Jones cured.

This just showed up via Fed Ex.

[​IMG]

12. slowburn

shad you just saved my marriage, I'm glad you beat me to that guitar, and sad in a way... on a positive, my wife said she absolutely loved the hamer w/ humbuckers (it was pretty) that was also available so there's hope yet....

13. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

I just got 1st P90 last night from Sweetwater. Got the PRS Soapbar SE II and at first glance like it.

I've got 14 guitars now (more guitars than talent) with many different neck shapes. I actually like that because I feel like it helps me become a better player adjusting to the different shapes/sizes.

FYI - very impressed with the quality of the Korean PRS.