a new "Plexi" pedal just came out !

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eethier, Jun 13, 2006.

1. eethier

eethier Member

2. eethier

eethier Member

3. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

Two things:

First, the pedal sounds like crap. That ain't no JTM-45 I ever heard.

And second, you'd think if the guy was going to demonstrate the pedal by playing an AC/DC songs he would, at the very least, know how to play the lick to 'Back In Black'.

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

If you feel you can make an absolute statement like "the pedal sounds like crap" by listening to an internet sound clip, you've got a lot to learn.

Brian at Indyguitarist does a lot for the DIY pedal community and I trust that he can make a pretty good OD pedal in his own right. I for one wouldn't judge it until I actually played through it. The best pedals (and worst pedals) sound completly different than any frikin sound clip I've ever heard, when I plug them into my own rig. That includes my Eternity(s) from Lovepedal.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I second that, aaron. IG does great work, including my modded DS-1 which is one of the best DS-1 mods I've ever heard. I wouldn't shy away from his products.

Not to mention his other pedals, like the phat axxe, have gotten great reviews.

6. carbz

carbz Member

I think the pedal actually sounds pretty good. Personally I feel a lot of these botique overdrive/distortion pedals cover the same territory. Its seems like a flavor of the month thing with pedals.

7. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The concept of "blueprinting" a tube circuit and using transistors in place of tubes is not new. Check this info from Runoff Groove:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Thunderchief
    JFET emulation of the Marshall 100W Super Lead
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [​IMG][/FONT][/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The search for 'big tube amp tone' in a manageable package has gone on for many years. There have been scores of devices made that claimed to be a stack-in-a-box. Some devices were pretty close, others were just hype. Needless to say, the search goes on. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]For many, the holy grail is the venerable Marshall stack sound. It wasn't too many years ago that the Marshall amp was the only amp that could rock so very hard and not mush out on the bass notes. In those times (and many today) the Marshall sound is the 'Sound of Rock.' The mighty Super Lead models were the amps most guitarist in the '80s craved, mostly due to a Dutch-born kid in living in California. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Much study has gone into the Van Halen sound. Most accounts of his setup describe a stock Marshall Super Lead running wide-open into a load box. The load box is used to attenuate the massive power of the 100W head. With this load box in place, he was said to have run the amp with all knobs full up to get an awesome sound. On down the signal chain, a speaker emulation device was said to have been used. After that, came reverb and echo and maybe a few other effects. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Doug Hammond has done incredible work recently using JFETs to simulate highly desired tube amps. Doug's 'Meteor' stompbox has incredible gain and sounds very much like the Trainwreck amp it is modeled after. After studying Doug's work, we decided to try the same technique with the Marshall Super Lead. The goal was to achieve the wide-open Marshall sound. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]We chose to omit the tone stack and the associated buffer stage from the Marshall Super Lead schematic for two reasons. First, we wanted the 'all knobs on 10' sound, which makes the tone stack virtually bypassed. Secondly, it makes the build simpler. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The next thing we considered was how to reproduce the speaker emulator of the VH setup. Doug Hammond used dual low pass filters on the tail of his 'Meteor' circuit. We researched the famed Celestion speakers to find their frequency response. We found where the Celestions started losing high frequencies and set our dual LPFs near that frequency. We also looked at the coupling cap on the output stage and set that so it would trim the bass frequencies similar to a Celestion speaker. Finally, we added a 'master volume' control on the end of the circuit to act as our 'load box.' [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]We named the project Thunderchief. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]While Thunderchief does not sound exactly like the famed VH setup, it shares some qualities. There is good focus in the bass frequencies. There is tons of gain. The highs are sharp and clear, but not piercing. Lead playing is effortless. Controllable feedback is there. Touch sensitivity is incredible. It does not mask the sound of a guitar, despite the incredible gain.
    [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT][/FONT]

8. Sid

Sid Member

I thought the Pinnacle2 rocked:dude

9. K-man

K-man Member

Who died and made you the Tonegod? If you want to post your opinion, fine, but you don't have to be condescending about it.

10. Sid

Sid Member

hmm was listening to the soundclip....

frankly i dont think he 'doesnt know':hiP how to play the lick...just a demo man...chill:rotflmao

11. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Nice! Continuing to win people over with your charm I see!

Clip's not my cup of tea, but clips in general, are hard to judge things by.

12. rewog

rewog Member

Brian is great do deal with and goes out of his way to please...
    I thought the clip sounded pretty good.
    Yes, he got the lick wrong - a bit hard to take with a classic lick.

13. jgyn

jgyn Member

I thought it sounded pretty good!

14. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I liked it, and Brian seems like a really nice guy to boot. You can't always judge from soundclips. One of the worst pedals I ever had the misfortune of owning sounded great in the soundclip. I won't say what it was, but suffice it to say that soundclips don't always cover it. I thought the clips sounded pretty good in this case. Combined with Brian's reputation and 7-day money-back guarantee, I'd say that buying from him is always a safe bet, even if the real thing doesn't end up being quite what you're looking for. He seems like the real deal, as do his products.

15. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

hmmm, interesting. To me, the pedal sounds in the clip to be very much like the Barber DD. I didn't hear a whole lot of difference from the clip to my experiance with one. Might be something to look into......

16. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I think the pedals sound awesome to me. And yes it sounds like a JTM45!

17. LHakim

LHakim Member

I too thought the pedal sounded great at least at lower gain settings. Checked out the Doug Hammond link posted above and his pedals and amps sound cool too.

18. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

My daddy!

19. Lution

Lution Member

That clip sounded VERY similar to the Phat Axx clip.

20. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i thought the clip souded pretty good.....