A new Pod HD recording ... Do I really need an 11 Rack?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Jim Soloway, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I'm bouncing back and forth between my Pod HD and the 11 Rack for recording. I posted a recording last week that I did with the 11 Rack. Here's one that I just recorded this morning with the Pod. these are different guitar and different strings, so it's not at all a fair head to head between the two units, but listening to this track, I really wonder if I'm going to get any better results with an 11R.

http://www.jimsoloway.com/MiscDemos2012/EmptyHall2012.mp3

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. bds9487

bds9487 Member

Very nice! Sounds like an amp to me.

3. frantick

frantick Member

+1. Very nice!

I have both, and play both, but I use the POD more. I think the 11R is too much like an amp in the noise department and not a fan of noise gates, but then I play the higher gain models.

-cp

4. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

If there are features in the 11r which you like or if there's a difference in feel giving the 11r a leg up then yes. But based on the recordings you've posted, I would say no. The HD500 sounds beautiful in your hands. And of course so does the 11r and likely anything else you'd plug into.

5. jerryratpack

jerryratpack Gold Supporting Member

Very nice Jim ! Sounds like a track laid down in a studio ... I am sure no matter what modeler you use, it would sound great, but this definitely sounds awesome

6. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

Man, I love your playing. It's so dynamic. :aok

7. Excelsis

Excelsis Member

Jim could I have those patches? Or I missed them and you have already shared with them...

8. dannopelli

dannopelli Member

Yeah Jim can I have the HD 500 patches?

Oh by the way, you could make a 2x4 with a nail and a rubber band sound joyous....

9. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Thanks guys. I don't have a whole lot of money and it's hard enough for me to manage one device, so I'm leaning towards doing the CD recording with the Pod and dumping the 11R. I feel like I have better control of the Pod anyway and I'm really not much of a tweaker. I'd rather put my energy into playing and recording.

For those who asked about the patch, I've posted it a few times but I'm always happy to share it again. I think you might be surprised by it's simplicity. Here's a link to the Customtone post.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/214694/

It's a Desktop patch but it's compatible with the HD500 just by renaming the file extension.

One more thing ... I was just listening to this recording again and realizing that for the very first time since I started modeling, the sound I'm hearing from my recording is the same as the sound I'm hearing from my cab. I guess the RCF Art 310A was a good choice. It's very cool how with the Pod Hd, I'm able to put an equalizer on only one output so it tames the low end on the RCF but leaves the recording as it is.

10. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I really like your Pod tones (this and prior), and although not a fair comparison, I like this one better than your recent 11R clip.

But, I am sure you could make either work. Only you can decide it the feture sets of either product are better for you.

11. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Never been able to get a good Jazz tone like that out of it. Don't think you'll do any better with an 11R to be honest. It is maybe a little too bass heavy though, it'd probably overpower a mix.

12. DarrenTD

DarrenTD Member

Sounds Awesome Jim! :aok

I really need to figure out how to dial in my HD 500. I don't know why, but I just can't seem to create any patches that I like for live use? My unit was also jumping in volume intermittently at rehearsal, and I don't know what thats all about? I received the e-mail regarding the HD500 Edit issue, but my unit was doing it not even connected to my laptop? I wonder if I have a defective unit?

Nonetheless, your's sounds great!

13. Chris Martins

Chris Martins Member

My money is on the POD. I never liked the 11r all that much, even though it's a very good unit, I find it sharper and not as natural as the HD500, and my opinion is that if money is an issue, the 500 is more than enough to cut a great recording and be happy with the tone.
    Plus your 11r tone was no better than you 500 tone, if not sligthly inferior IMO. You have great command over the 500, and it sounds as it should for you. I think that should be all the answer you need. It's all in the fingers anyways. :)

14. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Great reverb setting. What settings did you use, Jim?

15. Chadley

Chadley Member

I greatly prefer your 11R clip. Sounded way more like an amp to me and has better dynamics.

16. Gandalf5150

Gandalf5150 Member

Great playin and great tone Jim. :aok

17. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I prefer your POD tones. Again, it could just be that I liked this performance, but man, this was a beautiful clip. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have great hearing in the upper "air" frequencies, so if you and others are hearing a lot of noise (I'm not) then maybe spend a little more time to try to match this tone with the 11r.

18. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

Hey Jim, I just took a look at your guitars. They're beautiful. I really like the loon. :)

Do you have someone helping you build them or do you do it yourself?

19. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Jim, I've downloaded your clean patches, and I don't sound as good as you.

Maybe tone is in the fingers, indeed.

20. shasha

shasha Member

If you really want to know what I think about the 11R vs the HD500, well use the one that you think sounds better and works better which from what said sounds like the HD500. I'm not a big fan of Line6 and I would personally take the 11R over it, but I'm not you...even though I sometimes pretend to be when the house is empty. :rotflmao

I will say one thing though, it took me quite a while to warm up to the 11R. I'm talking a few months here before I got something that really worked for me and it was pretty good after that.

Of course I just bought an AxeFXII so I'm probably not the best guy to try to sell you on the 11R. :p

You'll sound good on whatever you play through, just make sure that it isn't holding you back.