A new Xotic EP- Booster thread.

Blues Wail

Maybe I'm amazed but to me is does not get much better in terms of simplicity, sound & real estate. Plus.......The sucker weighs a ton!!:cool:

PS No arguing please. Discussion only. Grazie,

Aldo...........:sarcasm:p

richpjr

I bought it, immediately loved the way it sounded, and now leave it on all the time. Great, great pedal.

Blues Wail

I bought it, immediately loved the way it sounded, and now leave it on all the time. Great, great pedal.
Yup, I was gonna wait till the "hype was over", but the music store I frequent had one. I was all over it at that point. I am a fan of Xotic. I traded an AC but still have The RC, BB Robotalk & noe the EP. It's a keeper. 2010 man!!:band

DrGonzo

Platinum Supporting Member
I was playing around with mine again this morning. When I first got it, I tried it out first in my signal chain, then last and decided I liked it better last and stuck it there.

This morning I tried it in various places in the chain to see if anything sounded better; post fuzz / pre-od, post od / pre modulation, post modulation / pre delay, etc... I still found that it works best in my rig dead last. I found my favorite setting is having it set at a touch over unity with the stock dip switch settings. I use strats into Fender amps FWIW. Great little pedal!

CBeeper

Love mine also...so far I keep it dead last but I'm going to try it a little earlier in the chain and see what it does. I have mine set up as it came out of the box just over unity as a lead boost.

MjCartney

Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie
Gold Supporting Member
I'm really liking it. I tried it a few places and my favorite is early, after comp and before dirt.

sutherland

I think people really overlook the simplest of things. FET boosters (like the EP) are incredible tools that add shimmer and punch and are absolutely incredible when used in conjunction with a fuzz.

Strat58

Hi can you use a lead boost before the EP boost, or will it overdrive the Ep boost ?
I use a Super Chili Picoso for leadboost and get louder when I use it, but don't know for sure how it will react with the EP boost.
Peace Strat58

waters

How does it stack with the Timmy? That is, how would you describe the tone of the two together?

John

I should mention I am using a tele with single coils. But to me with little boost on the EP it just fattens up the timmy and adds it's bass and presence thing. With the boost turned up you get more gain obviously. I am not set on this order but it seems pretty good for the moment.

its my first in my chain and i leave it on all the time i leave it at about 9 o'clock. My only issue is its before my wah so on a clean sound it gets really loud. MAybe ill move it after my wah. I havn't even messed with the dip switches inside.

so mine does run into my gain boxes bb preamp, blues driver, and Cranked ac. It just makes everything better as the easy way to say it. more gain, fatter, awesomer

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
How is this different than, say for example, the JFET mu-amp design of Jack Orman, as used in the Bad Bob?

drolling

Yes, I'd like to know as well.

Players who've answered in this thread are using the Xotic EP just about anywhere in their signal chain, in marked contrast to responses to my post on Creation Audio's Mk 4.23. Every single answer suggested placement at the very end of the chain, just before the amp.

The Clinch Booster literature also indicates it was designed to be placed at the very end, IIRC, even suggesting the type of cable to be used between boost & amp to optimize results.

But I've been using various pedals (Diamond comp's my favorite, so far) BEFORE my dirt pedals. Pedals like TIM/Timmy and even the RC Booster aren't really *clean* enough for this application, but it sounds as tho' this EP would be exactly what I'm looking for. Bad Bob's also got a bit more grit than I need, even at minimal gain settings..

When dimed, does the Xotic add any dirt at all, or just more tonal coloration?

drweller

I've been using several boosts over time - Katana, Pickup Booster, RC/AC, several drive pedals with the gain off, etc. Best I've run across to date (of course, haven't tried them all) is the Lizard Leg Flying Dragon - have them at the end of the drive chain before the Volume pedal/Delay/Mod stuff. Basically used as a lead boost. Run it with acoustics as well with REALLY great results. Doesn't color the tone - with some creative license from Steve's tag, it's your tone/sound only louder.

Toshio shipped the EP and should be here this coming week. Going to see how it compares - in different places in the chain w/pedals and a few digital multi-effect units (G-System and Nova System). Interested to see if it's better as a boost or tone shaper.

Love the reviews on the EP so far!!

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Works great in front of a Jetdrive - Great clean boost for a tele, and adds some serious beef to the gain tones. Also clips really nicely being pushed by the boost on my MC 404 wah. Bet two EP's would sound great.

Trending Topics