A nod to Jeff at Budda Amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JubileeMan 2555, Jun 30, 2006.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I would like to post a great experience I had relieving a worry about a problem with my superdrive 80, and how great Jeff was.

Last night, I bought/traded a Superdrive 30 to have fun with and compare. I had the setup I'm sure 100's of us have been in with one head above the other and you're playing, switching cables, playing...etc. to hear the differences in the amps. Lots of fun;)

...but, after a while, I was playing the 80 and it started to drop in volume and sound like an AM radio on and off...really strange. I got worried because of big gig on Sat. what to do?!

I email Jeff right away asking his advice since I had been pulling 2 tubes and was worried I burnt something inside.

I'm happy to report that Jeff replied the next morning right away with what was going on. My FX loop was acting up and needed to be cleaned. all the pulling in and out at testing might have gotten something jammed.... so its all fixed! This isn't a real huge deal, its just great to know that there is someone on the other end of an email that can really help out...AND fast!

2. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I played a friend's SuperDrive 30 112 combo last nite at rehearsal.
    Sounded really good clean...clear, defined, no flub.
    I didnt use the 2nd channel, rather a tonebone classic pedal, with my Baker RF.
    The distorted tones were also very nice, and this pedal/amp combination works very nicely with humbuckers.
    The combo was also lighter than I thought it would be.
    Certainly lighter than my friend's Mesa lonestar 212 combo!!!!
    :eek:

S>
    j

3. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I have had incredible experience with Jeff at Budda also. After owning 2 Budda amps and doing some mods to them, he was absolutely great to work with. In fact, the whole gang over there has been nothing but spectacular.

If every amp company had this kind of customer service we'd all be in great shape.

4. kingsxman

I just dealt with that guy last week on another issue...I forget his name too... damn.

5. Ricker

Ricker Member

Craig Poole?????????
    \

6. kingsxman

Nope. Brandon Marlon.

7. Ricker

Ricker Member

Marlon Brando????????????....he he he

8. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

9. myles111

myles111 Member

No big surprise ..... small builder of great amps that cares about his customers and how his amps sound. Gee ... try to get that sort of help from most of the "major" manufacturers. I call the big guys manufacturers as they just "make stuff". The upper level management never even sees an amp that will end up in your hands. The folks life Jeff I call builders. The build and craft amps and they see and hear every one before it leaves the shop .... and are generally willing to help with technical advice on most any amp if you have a question. Try calling one of the major folks with a problem on their less popular amps in their own line. Many times their "tech pool" at best will say .... "somebody will get back to you" or send you to a website that has so many products and news bits and pieces that it could take days to find the answer ... if it is even there!

10. kingsxman

Myles, do you do alot of work with Jeff? I know that they are now almost exclusively Groove Tube for all thier power tubes. FWIW, on my SD30 I replaced the EH rectifier with a GT rectifier and it made a very nice difference in tone.

11. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I've only been seriously playing budda for about 3months, but I just don't get why they have not made it "big". It just makes no sense. The tone/response, recording ability, and unique voicing makes these amps real contenders in the workhorse music environment.

In fact, some big name artists ARE starting to use them and there still is no real buzz. (Foo fighters, velvet revolver...etc)

Whats interesting, is the low buzz on these amps probably scares some folks away. THe fact that there ISNT a lot of amazing reviews or word of mouth, they're purple, and not PTP probably makes players shrug them off as some random no-name maker.

12. myles111

myles111 Member

Kingsxman,

Jeff works with the folks on the other side of the house. I may have met him a few times but do not remember. So many folks come in and out of GT each week that I forget the people but I always remember the amps!

The GT 5AR4/GZ34 is either a Sovtek or JJ. They are both decent. If youu can grab some sort of NOS 5AR4 (any of them actually, does not have to be a Mullard even) you will probably notice the amp being stronger and tighter. Today's rectifier meet spec but all the NOS ones greatly exceeded specs. The main aspect of the NOS items is reliability. They last forever. I have had JJ's crap out and the same with Sovteks. On the Chinese rectifiers I saw many of them for many years fail when shipped with new amps. This was a particular issue on a bunch of new Bad Cat amps I unpacked for Westwood Music about three years ago.

If you have a Sovtek or JJ or other new rectifier be sure to keep a spare ... and a spare fuse. When the rectifer dies the usual indication is when you take the amp out of standby (the power light still will come on), the fuse blows. Another symptom is all stuff lights up ... tube heaters etc., but no sound comes out of the amp.

So .... spare rectifier and a few spare fuses is always a good idea.

13. myles111

myles111 Member

Well .... they are purple and that is pretty slick.

As far as not being PTP .... to me there are amazing PCB amps and some very very bad ones. On PTP .... there are some amazing PTP amps and some very very bad ones. I do not think it is that.

I think it is very hard for an amp maker to generate exposure and it takes a long time. I am sure they will get there. They are great amps, nicely made, nice value for the money, not copies of other things, and it should just be a matter of time.

14. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Jeff Bober is one of the best in the business, there's no doubt about it.

As for PTP vs PCB...not a factor with Jeff's amps. I've played his PTP and PCB amps. He builds them all, and his attention to detail is as good as it gets.

15. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

I fired off an e-mail to those guys the oyher day with a bunch of questions (some techical, some just dumb), and the "new"guy Brandon answered every one of them. Hats off.
    I have both ptp and pcb Budda amps, and they both kick-ass. I don't know why they're not a bigger brand yet either.

16. kingsxman

Why arent they bigger? Price is probably the biggest reason. it wasnt that long ago that Musicians friend was still selling the SD30 for over 2k. They had old stock and needed to move them at the pricepoint they bought them at. Others meanwhile had newer stock where the price had dropped that the bought them for....hence there was about a $500 difference. Either way its still alot of money. For example, the Budda Sd45 is modeled after a Marshall JTM45. You can get an actual JTM 45 for the price of a SD45. So alot of people figure why not get the "real thing".

I think for most people once you break that magical $1000 barrier for buying a peice of gear, you usually are looking for something that other people will recognize. If it has "the name" on the headstock or faceplate you are more assured of getting that recognition and acceptance that you want.

Other people just want tone and dont care what it says on the headstock or faceplate. We're the ones playing Budda's, Germino, Fuchs, G&L, Hamer, Brian Moore, etc.

17. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

:angel The SD45 is not modelled after the JTM45. I made the same assumption, and was quickly corrected by Jeff. It is a Superdrive series amp that uses a KT66 power section...not a tricked out JTM45.

18. Ricker

Ricker Member

I only bought budda for the tone and feel.
    I don't give a flying rat's ass who's using the amp.
    I like the fact that I'm the only one maybe in South Africa that's seriously using one at nearly every gig.........He he he.

Rick

19. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

Jeff, Craig and Scot were all very helpful when I asked them questions. And Ricker, with your chops, I think you could make anything sound good!! I love your Budda tone though.........

20. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

+1 on how great Budda's are. One thing that they are better at than the AC30's & the JTM's is versitility. If I want a pure JTM tone, not much sense in buying anything but a JTM in that price range. But let's say I wanted some AC30....or some Deluxe reverb in there too. The Budda has got all that in there. The cleans are a lot better than anything I've heard from Marshall. Crank it with the modern knob pulled and it sings beautifully.