• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

A Note from Danelectro

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulC

Actually, even he doesn't know. All he can say is whether orders are up or down, but not why. We're in the midst of an economic cluster[bleep], after all. He'd have to have people calling him up and saying that they aren't buying his pedal because of the CTO in order to really know.
Well, I've called a couple of guys telling them their pedal is ready, and they cancelled on me for different reasons. Then i saw them post how great the other one is...

The dano was talked about here a little before this happend last month, but they didn't sell out everywhere untill this came up, and dano said they were going to change things because of it. It's easy to see that this increased their sales on that unit. It's easy to see that mine dropped way down since then. Things were going as strong as ever up to the day before, and then "BAM" - big drop. Is it the economy? some, but I know it's in part this other thing. The timmy was only $129 - it's not like it's priced out of reach of most guys.

I'm working on some things to try and survive this though. I'm hoping for the best.

PaulC
tim/timmy pedals
myspace.com/paulcaudio

Kapo_Polenton

I don't have a timmy. I recently bought the TO and love it. I will agree that 129$ is not that much to ask for a pedal that does what the TO does for me but will also say that in hearing recent comparisons, the two pedals DO sound diff. to me. The TO a bit tighter and sparkly and the Timmy a little more natural. So the TO adds some sparkle for me but down the line when the orders slow down and i pay off my flooring, i'd definitely be in for a timmy. I think you will see a lot of people come back to the Timmy for these reasons.

RussB

low rent hobbyist
Well, I've called a couple of guys telling them their pedal is ready, and they cancelled on me for different reasons. Then i saw them post how great the other one is...

The dano was talked about here a little before this happend last month, but they didn't sell out everywhere untill this came up, and dano said they were going to change things because of it. It's easy to see that this increased their sales on that unit. It's easy to see that mine dropped way down since then. Things were going as strong as ever up to the day before, and then "BAM" - big drop. Is it the economy? some, but I know it's in part this other thing. The timmy was only $129 - it's not like it's priced out of reach of most guys.

I'm working on some things to try and survive this though. I'm hoping for the best.

PaulC
tim/timmy pedals
myspace.com/paulcaudio
Damn, that sucks bigtime.

I feel dirty now that I bought a CTO-1 :(

redpill

PaulC
tim/timmy pedals
myspace.com/paulcaudio
Well, I don't know. I don't want to kick you, because you really do come across as a stand-up guy dealing with an unpleasant situation. And while I may be a shade contrary in the face of strong consensus, but I don't want to antagonize a lot of people. So I will leave this lie. But there have also been a lot of people who have posted here and said that they either bought a CTO-1 and decided based on it that they wanted a Timmy, or who simply had the pedal brought more to their attention by this controversy.

This isn't getting fixed. There's clearly no legal method for going after Evets. I'm pretty sure that if there as, Mike Fuller would be all over them like a cheap suit on the CO-1, which has been shown to be an OCD-alike (and which is backordered just as long as the CTO-1 at Musciian's Friend, for example). The outrage about cloning has already been well expressed, and it doesn't seem to be making even a small dent. If that guy at Evets makes good on his promise and changes the design, then any damage that was done is long over. If he doesn't, recourse appears to be limited (and probably exhausted already).

I understand it really sucks for you, and will leave it at that. You seem to already be in the process of looking at your business and maximizing its chances of continued success through whatever changes and extra efforts you deem fit. Good luck. I am not in the market for a Timmy (which I have not tried) or a CTO-1 (which I have tried), btu I'll keep an eye on your company for future developments, and point people your way who seem to be going for the sound you offer in the build quality that you offer.

Pott

I gotta say, I've never spent that much money on a pedal... I've got two Subdecays which I sold prompto when I realized the Blues Pro was more adapted for me (and much cheaper) but that's about it. $130 IS a lot of money for a jobless student like me and ordering a TIM is something I have to consider carefully. I don't know how much money I'll have when it's ready. Price IS reasonable I'll be the first to say, but when money is tight/non existent...I'm considering changing my TIM order to a TIMMY which makes me sad as I loved the extra boost but I think I simply can't afford the TIM no more. The exchange rate is really killing us right now.
And on top of it all I can't seem to be able to call Paul as it's about 3 to 4am when he takes orders. I'd love to have a conversation with him and place a personal order, maybe with custom options but stupid timezones aren't helping...

Anyway Paul, in the UK we have a magazine called Guitar Buyer, they reviewed your timmy in the 'pedal legends' section some months ago. Figured you'd be pleased to know about this.

mfgobbi

With word of mouth, which is the boutique way of doing marketing, you can only go so far, in terms of sales, once most effects buffs already got a copy of a certain pedal the sales eventually will go down. Of course, the Dano incident will have an immediate impact, but I am sure it tends to go away in the mid-long run. But there is no way out, either the builder spends some time and money in advertisement, or come-up with a new/improved product, so hat "his costumers" will buy more... I already have a TIM, it's great, it's affordable, I recommend it... but that's it... there is not much more I can do to support the company... but I can see myself and many other TIM owners buying any pedals released by PaulC... anyway... just my thoughts

Swarty

Man, I sure feel out of the loop! I talked to a customer pal today who enlightened me about this situation. I only went back a few pages, but I think I have the gest of what is going on.

I used to hit TGP's pedal forum daily, but that all ended about 3 years ago when my quest for perfection was finally realized. I had been on the OD pedal treadmill and burned through scores of boutique and production pedals Full Drive II, Mosferatu, Cold Fusion, Cobalt are a few of the names that come to mind and on and on and on and on until I chanced upon a Timmy which turned out to be a prototype in an unpainted box w/ stick on decals. FINALLY, after years of searching for the perfect OD, I had one that sounded like a cranked up amp instead of an OD pedal... I was 100% satisfied and remain so. The Timmy is sonic perfection and the acquisition probably free'd up 2 hours a week of my time... so to Paul, YOU ROCK! THANK YOU! You've also sold pedals to several of my amp customers.

As for these imported imitations, they are just that. It has been said that imitatation is the ultimate compliment, so I hope you can see it in this light. Dano is a mass market, cheap as possible to build product. You're product is geared at pros. I see it as two different markets, although I think a royalty would certainly be in order.

There is one pedal left on my wish list, a DT... (Double Timmy); Simply 2 Timmys in series in the same box.

Tim Swartz (nice to have a pedal with my name on it!)

BJF

Hi,

The best thing Danelectro could do for their marketing and getting people to buy more Danelectropedals would be to state on suitable guitarforums such as this one that they'd revise the whole line........as if it would be fine to state on some guitarforums that you won't?
If Danelectro would on any guitarforum tell that they would revise their circuit it would clearly only be to increase sales........a strike of magic one could persume

I'm not saying that's what they have done but if they did it would show up in this years sales in no time.........while at the same time it would be the worst insult they could ever make to the guy they have copied in saying that they did it better.........do you think any boutiquebuilder can outprise that?

Perhaps Danelectro would realize this and stay clear?

There used to be a moral standard among at least some manufactures, while ofcourse not all.
Time will tell who has a moralstandard..............
Oh yes money talks and the colour of money is................

Have fun and let the hung down hair show.
Give this some fuel and all you do is supporting Danelectro.....
BJ
Affiliations
BJF Electronics
Sweden
www.bjfelectronics.com
www.mpamp.com
www.louderandmore.com

Sidez Colmbs

Hi,
There used to be a moral standard among at least some manufactures, while ofcourse not all.
Time will tell who has a moralstandard..............
Oh yes money talks and the colour of money is................
Just like the DRD and HB feature 100% discrete circuitry and aren't derivatives of anything, right?

Right.

Sidez Colmbs

I don't think that's important. I wasn't chastising him for basing his circuits on others, I just thought his comments about "moral standards" were a little off considering...

I don't want to start a big argument, but I can PM you if you like.

smoss469

I've been waiting for months for my Tim and Timmy. I saw that the TOD was supposed to be a clone.. didn't even attempt to play one the last few times I've been out. Hopefully I'll get my pedals soon and start enjoying them.

rewog

I don't think that's important. I wasn't chastising him for basing his circuits on others, I just thought his comments about "moral standards" were a little off considering...

I don't want to start a big argument, but I can PM you if you like.
So you wanted to have a shot at him.. without actually saying anything.
.. pretend you know something of interest, but offer nothing ??

If you're going to take a shot at a respected builder who builds great gear, you really should make sure you have something worth saying IMO... otherwise, keep it to yourself.

Sidez Colmbs

It wasn't necessarily a "shot." I just don't think he's in the position to comment on moral standards.

No one's pretending. I don't think it's important to offer that information in this thread, or any for that matter. I know the attitudes around here and I'm not going to change anyone's mind no matter how correct I am. That's perfectly fine, it does not really matter all that much to me.

My comment was more directed towards Bjorn, for his own consideration.

rewog

It wasn't necessarily a "shot." I just don't think he's in the position to comment on moral standards.

No one's pretending. I don't think it's important to offer that information in this thread, or any for that matter. I know the attitudes around here and I'm not going to change anyone's mind no matter how correct I am. That's perfectly fine, it does not really matter all that much to me.
If you're prepared to make a comment like that, you should be prepared to back it up with something material.
If you're not you shouldn't have made it.

I've seen Bjorn join in discussions here and on other forums for many years.
He's always been helpful and respectful to everyone.
What right do you have to question his morals standards and then avoid telling us why you did that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics