A pair of Gibson Custom Shop Historics before they go through the roof

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by patentcad, Feb 1, 2015.

1. patentcad

patentcad Member

I bought both these guitars over the past month because of the rumors of the Gibson Custom Shop Historic price increase from so many reliable sources. I would have purchased one eventually, or used, but I kind of figured I could get them new now for what they'll be going for used this summer; a price increase might make these easy to sell for no loss or maybe even a slight profit. Regardless, I've never had a hard time selling a Historic. I have the R9 already, the CR0 is incoming. I've had a lotta guitars, but the R9 is the best sounding electric guitar I've played, so that's a keeper for sure. Hope the CR0 turns out to be one I'll keep forever too. Looks nice in the pictures. Light: 7.7 lbs. (The CR0 is part of a limited run of chambered Historic LPs, who knows when Gibson will build those again, they do from time to time).

R9 from Dave's first (8lbs, 2 oz), CR0 from Wildwood (7lbs, 10 oz). I can't really handle guitars much over 8lbs, I had an R0 a couple of years back with a killer top that was 9lbs, I sold it, couldn't handle the weight. That new R9 sounds better than that heavier R0 did, even though it's so light. I think Gibson changed the Historic pickups a bit in the past couple of years, some of you Historic experts can comment on that. Regardless of all that, they are guitar eye candy some of you might enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kind of figured it was a unique chance to buy these guitars at a price that's a no-loss proposition. I guess we'll find out in a couple of months if that's the case.

2. texstrat

texstrat Member

Probably a smart move. I bought an R8 about 1 month ago for this same reason. I know I could make money off of it one day, but I'll probably never sell it.

Nice guitars!

3. Evan_R

Evan_R Member

I love the chambered historics. One day I'd like a CR R6. They sound so awesome.

4. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Congrats, and you may be on the mark with your logic. Why would Gibson not raise the prices on these after their crazy increases on Standards, Traditionals etc (just looked in the MF catalog that arrived..holy cow).

I'm happy with the 2005 CL find R8 I stumbled on and traveled for.

5. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Member

Gorgeous, the both of them. I especially love the top on the R0.

The rumored price increase didn't factor in to my R8 purchase last week, but only because I wasn't aware of it until after I bought. It makes me all the more pleased with my purchase though.

6. texstrat

texstrat Member

I was going to get an R8 or R9 regardless. But I found brand new R8, Ice Teas VOS, from my local Guitar Center. I typically do not buy guitars from GC, but they had 14 different R0's, R8's and R9's. I played them all. The '13 R8 I bought was the best. I'd say it is a great strategy to look for '13 and '14 Historics, I think they will be a steal compared to the '15 prices.

7. patentcad

patentcad Member

This whole new Gibson pricing strategy makes no sense to me. I have always loved these guitars. I've had a few, liked some more than others, but I've never played one I didn't like. I couldn't be more thrilled with this new R9, hope I like the CR0 that much. I figured if I didn't do this now I never would. Hoping that the purported price increase will cover me if I want to sell either guitar, but more hopeful the gear merry go-round ends here. Either way it's fun, and if you buy Historics right, they have better resale value than any other high end gear I've owned.

Between the significantly more expensive 2015 Gibson USA models that both customers and dealers seem to hate and this looming Custom Shop pricing boost into PRS Private Stock territory, it's like the company is being run by a nut, and maybe that is the case. I'm not interested in the Gibson soap opera, it's the guitars I like.

8. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

Hey congrats....beautiful gtrs.

On this pricing thing: has anyone mentioned that just by gibson threatening this...they are actually selling ALOT of R's.....from the threat ! ...oh those marketing genius's !! :)

9. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Yeah, I think Henry's office has to be strewn with dozens of internal Econ graphs from the finance dept., all displaying a sharp inverse relationship between price and units sold. But one thing that the continued price increases succeed at is squeezing frightened consumers out of the woodwork and coercing them to write that check "before it's too late".

10. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

Rumor has it they're still shipping "2014" historic models. Gibson taking advantage of anything to make money? Shocker.

I purchased an R9 recently but I blame Patentcad, not the rising Gibson prices.

11. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

I had the same thought this ween when I got my customs shop class 5 yesterday used for less than a new standard. It's just going to go up, I think the market has bottomed out and the only way is up from here.

12. patentcad

patentcad Member

Yeah, could very well be.

Two interesting points: there's one particular source I'm getting this price increase rumor from that has never failed to be 100% reliable, this dude has his ear closer to those tracks than anybody I know. The salesman @ Wildwood was downplaying the rumor, which is the opposite of talking his book (Wall Street lingo for somebody who tries to boost stock he owns by perpetuating rumors that would boost the price).

So it is all hearsay at this point. In my experience hearsay from the right source usually turns out to be the most reliable predictor. Either way, even if the rumored 30%+ price increase doesn't happen, I'm sure there will be some price increase. I will be surprised if it doesn't unfold the way my source predicts, I think that's the MAP going to $8499 from the current $6499 for R9s with the nicer tops.

And no, that makes no sense at all, which is the upside world of recent Gibson marketing would be completely consistent. Please note that the maker of that min-e-tune gadget that looks like it came from K-Mart R&D is a company called 'Tronical'. But their logo looks like it actually says 'Ironical'.

Carry on.

[​IMG]

13. patentcad

patentcad Member

I in turn blame Joe Bonamassa, who @ the recent Radio City show in NYC spent the entire 90 minute electric set alternating between two nice real 59 and 60 sunburst LP guitars. We were sitting in the 5th row on the far left side, close enough to see the flamey tops on the guitars

My pal and I both agreed that it might be a Gibson marketing plot to get me to buy another Custom Shop HIstoric guitar.

It worked.

By the way, I know some of you like Joe B. and some of you don't, but for me and my pal going to see Joe B is like going to Guitar Church. I wrote a song about it last year. It's called 'Goin to See JB':

Well the knights of old went to Palestine to find that Holy Grail

In Israel you know they got a wall where the faithful they go to wail

The pilgrims go to Mecca as devout as they could be

Me I got my tickets I’m goin down to see JB

Take me down to old Broadway

To that Beacon grand marquee

Cause I got seats down on the aisle

Just as close as they could be

I’ve waited for this night for months

Before I get much older

Let JB light up the stage

And tap an angel on the shoulder

Take me down to old Broadway

To that Beacon grand marquee

Cause I got seats down on the aisle

Just as close as they could be

This really aint no moonshot yo

This aint no job for NASA

Put me on that subway train

I’m goin to see Joe Bonamassa

Goin to see JB
    Goin to see JB
    Goin to see JB
    Goin to see JB

14. jlb32

jlb32 Member

Great looking guitars!! I had thought about picking up another before the 2015 price increases but I already have a 2013 R8 and 2014 Skinner Burst. Just do not really need another one even though it's tempting.

15. patentcad

patentcad Member

I love Historic Bursts, I see one every week I'd want to buy. But I won't buy a guitar that weighs over 8.5 lbs (the heaviest guitar I currently own is 8lbs. 3 oz). I had a killer R0 a couple of years ago which weighed 9 lbs. Loved the guitar, loved the tone, hated strapping it on, just never could get used to it. My thinking on these two was one is solid body, one is chambered, one is a 59/zebras/no pickguard, one is a 60/covers/traditional pickguard plus it's super light. I think that covers me on the LP/singlecut side, I put my PRS Singlecut up for sale. I will TRY to resist buying more. I don't want to have more than the 6 electric guitars have not, that's too many. But you know how it goes, you love them all, yada yada.

16. patentcad

patentcad Member

17. patentcad

patentcad Member

The Three Burstkateers: 2014 R9, CR0, LP Memphis ES

[​IMG]

18. Aran

Aran Member

Worked for ammunition manufactures I guess it does for Guitar builders too. :D ;)

I personally think people are worried for nothing.

BTW nice guitars.

19. patentcad

patentcad Member

Thanks.

No worries here.

20. patentcad

patentcad Member

I hope this doesn't mean the govt is coming to take my guitars away.