A passive acoustic pickup system mp3

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by dave251, Aug 23, 2005.

1. dave251

dave251 Member

This is a clip of the "MagPi" system I use in my guitars. This one is installed in a Taylor Big Baby. Balance is set at about 80% mag/20% pi. Straight into my DAW, no eq or compression.

Comments and critique of the tone is most welcome. Have mercy on my chops.

http://www.electrocoustic.com/audio/bigbabymagpi.mp3

2. tac5

tac5 Member

I am not familiar with the "MagPi" system. I have two Taylors (no ES) with K&K Pure Westerns, and the K&K is a great passive sysyem. I really liked the tone of your guitar, but it sounds more like a hollow body electric than an acoustic. That's not a bad thing; I was drifting back to the Sons of the Pioneers and some of the great earlier "cowboy" music. Don't knock your technique either. Your tone is really pleasing and could easily take the place of a traditional "wooden sounding" acoustic guitar. It would fill that space very nicely.

3. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

That doesn't sound like an acoustic guitar to me. It sounds exactly like what it is - a magnetic pickup with a little bit of piezo quack mixed in. If you've ever recorded an electric guitar direct, then you'll notice the similarities between that tone and the tone of this pickup system. For the record, I've yet to hear a pickup system that does an acoustic guitar justice.

I did enjoy the playing, but I'd enjoy it even more with a microphone in front of the guitar. My $0.02.

Bryan