1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

A Pedal Power Draw Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mrdaj78, Dec 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mrdaj78

mrdaj78 Member

Hi everyone! I am a longtime GP reader, but this is my first comment/question/thread (so please forgive my ignorance!). The short version - I used to play a lot of guitar. Then I had kids and stopped. Then I had more kids and sold nearly everything I once owned to buy other things like diaper-changing stations and cribs. But now that my kids are older, slowly, over the past few years, I've been building my arsenal back up, one pedal at a time. Anyway, my question:

No matter where I look online, I can't seem to find accurate representations of the power draws (mA) of my various pedals, and it has me spooked about actually trying to plug them all in to my new power source (a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus) at the same time. I probably ultimately should have purchased a Mondo, but I wasn't sure it would fit under my board and thought I could easily just use splitters on a few of my pedals to get me to the same place, but yikes am I ever fearful about not wanting to cook my stuff, especially since it's taken me so long to put a board back together. Anyway, if anyone smarter than me (and that's a LOT of people, lol) can help me figure out which pedals I can safely pair up using splitters, I'd REALLY appreciate the wisdom and input! (My understanding is that pedals on a Voodoo Lab splitter have to be right next to one another, yeah?)

Here's my present signal chain:

(I'm playing a G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy into -)

01 JHS Little Black Buffer
    02 TC Electronic Polytune 2 Mini
    03 Diamond Compressor Jr.
    04 Mooer Tender Octaver
    05 RYRA Klone
    06 Foxpedal Ebenezer
    07 Walrus Julia
    08 MXR Carbon Copy
    09 Strymon El Capistan (planning on plugging this one into the courtesy outlet directly)
    10 Matthews Effects Astronomer
    11 Mr. Black DeluxePlus Plus
    12 TC Electronic Ditto Looper

(- into a VOX AC4C1-12.)

Thank you SO MUCH in advance to anyone who can help me figure out which pedals it'd be safe for me to try and connect using splitters! (My thought was 1 + 2, and 7 + 8, and *possibly* 5 + 6, but I can't find anything online about the power draw / mA specs of the Klone and Ebenezer.)

2. sleewell

sleewell Member

the Foxpedal Ebenezer is a boost so the draw is going to be really low, same with the klone.

all of the boost and dirt pedals are the best to use a splitter for since they don't draw much. save slots 5 & 6 for stuff like reverb and delays since those are your higher draw pedals and the higher output slots on the PPII+

mrdaj78 likes this.
  3. mrdaj78

mrdaj78 Member

Solid. Thanks! And do you think I'd be alright using splitters on the Little Black Buffer / Polytune 2 Mini and Julia / Carbon Copy? The mA information I was able to find online for those four made me think I should be alright...

4. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

Yes, analog pedals are pretty low current draw

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

@stinkfoot maintains a pretty comprehensive list. But online and downloadable manuals from the makers or even a google search will usually get you that info except for the most obscure pedals. Even use the "contact us" link and ask them directly if your having problems finding it.

http://stinkfoot.se/power-list

Here, type this in google, "walrus audio julia power draw", 1st link will take you right to their webpage, click on the specifications tab and it tells you 30ma minimum, with that I would round up to 40ma and call it good. As long as you meet that 30ma minimum all should be fine, pedal could care less what current of the tap on your power supply is, 100ma or 500ma, it just draws what it needs. Now sending a pedal the wrong higher voltage, now that will fry some pedals.

When figuring it out when you group pedals on a single output, never max out the input, shoot for about 90-95% max of its rated ma output. You never want to redline a output at its full capacity, that's like redlining the engine on your car and leaving it there.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  6. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

The El Capistan is the only one that draws a lot of current and that you should worry about. Otherwise, it looks like you can mix/match the others without worry. Just don't put 18V into your Klone, and get a dedicated isolated source if you add a germanium boost/fuzz pedal.

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Here's a question, if I want to use the power tap to run two pedals at the same time can the PPII supply the current to the pedals? The 8V taps would not be used this would be two wall wart devices tied into the power plug they supply.

8. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

This is what I was going to say. If I can find a manual online (almost always possible) I just scroll to the end where it says Specifications or whatever and go with that - then it's straight from the manufacturer and not someone's best guess. Although there are good lists online, as mentioned.

Off the top of my head:
    Diamond Comp Jr is 15mA
    Mooer Octaver is about 120mA
    Carbon Copy is about 25mA
    The full size Polytune is 50mA so I don't know if yours being mini affects the power draw
    El Capistan is 250mA (though if you courtesy outlet it that's irrelevant of course)
    Ditto Looper is 100mA

As @-Empire said, analog pedals draw very little, digital usually draw a minimum of 100mA. I have a PP2+ as well and in my case most of the digital pedals have their own outlet and most of the analog ones are daisy chained or on splitters.

The reason I could remember the above power draws is because I spent so much time researching this and actually constructed an Excel spreadsheet to keep track, haha. I have twelve or thirteen pedals on eight outputs so I've had to be very meticulous.

Broomz likes this.
  9. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Have no idea what you just asked?

10. Guinness Lad

The ppii has a female plud you can use to power other things. One is the input power, the other on the same side supplies power.

11. Multicellular

Multicellular Member

Only know a few here but here is the best list I know of http://stinkfoot.se/power-list

El Cap, I had trouble with it when testing chained, made a high pitched noise. I don't have notes anymore on the current draw, but my old pedalboard notes indicate I ran it on a 250 outlet, so it is definitely under that.

Ditto is at or under 100mA.

My notes are that Carbon Copy is 26mA

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

You mean the AC courtesy plug on back to stick other wall warts into. It's just a AC pass through rated at up to 200watts so practically any wall wart or pair of wall warts will be fine there.

If you need more than 200w TrueTone makes a IEC splitter you can insert before the power supply.

[​IMG]

13. Guinness Lad

Yes that is it. I thought it would be a pass through, but you can't be sure. Thinking about another wall wart type pedal and would have to gang two together.

DaveKS likes this.
  14. Ejphotos

Ejphotos Supporting Member

Yeah you can plug a power strip into that courtesy AC, then plug additional wallwarts up to that. Just don't plug an amp into it, lol.

15. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

The little travel power strips can be great for doing that.

[​IMG]

16. mrdaj78

mrdaj78 Member

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful information / insights! Much appreciated!

17. mrdaj78

mrdaj78 Member

How can I be sure to avoid putting 18v into my Klone? Aren't all of the outputs only generating (probably the wrong word - sorry) 9v, even when split?

18. rolsen

rolsen Member

Funny you and I have threads regarding pedal power supply, mA ratings, splitting, etc.. almost never see this discussed on TGP.

Anyway, to answer your last question, I would think your power supply has switches to select between 9 and 18 volts, or perhaps the power outputs are dedicated as either 9 or 18. My BBE Supa Charger (sorta like the Voodoo power supplies) can switch between 9 and 12 on a bunch of outputs, and 9 and 18 on two outputs. I don't think many pedals 'care' one way or the other and many sound great at higher voltage but I have heard Klons/klones in particular are damaged by anything higher than 9v. So, a quick read of an online pdf manual for your power supply should easily identify how to ensure 9v operation on the various power outputs.

19. stahlhart

stahlhart Member

You're going to have to be extremely careful. There's not much more to it than that. For some reason the industry did not adopt a second plug standard for 18V, probably because of pedals that can be run both with 9V and 18V.

I pretty much just came up with an arrangement for which devices go to which supply ports, and I documented it. I have a mix of PSA, ACA, 18V and 9V high current components, and some of the lower powered PSA and 18V ones share one (or in the case of 18V, two) ports.

The Y cables will break one 9V or two combined 18V ports out to two, with the ground lifted on one to prevent loops. The 18V adapter adds the voltage of two ports, like putting two batteries in series, but you can't exceed 100mA. The high current adapter is only for L6 ports 5 and 6, keeps the voltage at 9V but combines the current capacity so you can power bigger devices up to 500mA (I have a One Control looper and a Strymon Lex that need it).

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016