A Pedal that does the Auto-Swell and does have a Line or a 6..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mr.mattphisto, Dec 21, 2005.

1. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

Anyone have any ideas on what type of pedal I might use to achieve the AUTO SWELL effect. I like being able to create this sound without using my volume pedal from time to time. I loved this effect on my none gone DL4 (cheap pedal, cheap contruction). I know the echo park does this effect as well, but are there any other pedals out there that can do this?

Thanks!

2. cmloeffler

cmloeffler Member

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

Boss Slow Gear or any noise gate that has an attack control.

4. stark

stark Supporting Member

I'm really into the swell thing too. I'm having my mooger delay modded so that I can get CV control of the input signal. I can then use an LFO out of the low pass filter to control the input to the delay. I'll be running the delay full wet. If you want to go thru the delay you could use the existing CV control for the wet/dry mix. I also got one of those Guyatone SV2's, but I want much greater control.

Adam Stark

5. cmloeffler

cmloeffler Member

Greater control of an SV2 is called a Volume pedal. Those are you two options...really. There's a BYOC clone being made, but it's still the same thing as an SV2 (which is basically a rippoff of the old slow gear). If you don't like the SV2, you're not goingto be any happier with a Slow Gear.

6. capnbringdown

capnbringdown Member

The only other pedal I can think of that does the volume swell thing besides the guyatone/boss pedals is the presciption electronics experience. The swell was my favorite part of that pedal; unfortunately, the fuzz--and I can't remember but maybe the octave up, too--have to be on for the swell to function. Kind of annoying and the octave up wasn't the sound I was looking for, but it still might be something to consider. btw, I usually just twiddle my guitar's volume knob when I want that kind of sound. Maybe you want more of a tremolo sound.

7. drolling

drolling Member

Well, it does say "swell" on the box, but that's where the similarity ends. The Experience's swell mode only works w/both the fuzz & octave engaged (and pretty much cranked, too!), and it requires a very specific picking technique to make the effect work. Pretty cool, tho'..

8. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I'd also recomend a volume pedal... way more control, many more useful applications and it can be locked into a stationary position unlike slow gear-clone pedals (very much like a wah versus an auto wah, ya know?).

If budget is a concern just get a true bypass loop (cheap through www.loooper.com or one of the million other choices) and pop an Ernie Ball Jr. volume pedal in it (to avoid ANY tone suck), cheap, effective and pretty damn sturdy.

Now if you have some cash to throw around, and find yourself wanting something more sensitive, road worthy and discrete (won't kill your playing dynamics ONE BIT) then hook yourself up with a Goodrich LDR 2... best volume pedal I've ever tried, use it to go from clean to scream on my Germino LoVo 55... if you have a non-master amp, you owe yourself to have a pedal like this. Perfect for swelling while two-hand tapping or adding a little emotion and flavor to solos, doing atmospheric swells through your Red Witch Moon Phaser Deluxe... you know, all that good stuff!

-TJK

9. stark

stark Supporting Member

Actually a volume pedal will not do what I'm looking for. Using an LFO CV signal into a control processor which allows attenuation and control over the rise and fall times of the CV signal will give me a huge amount of control over the type of notes and duration reaching the delay. Like the "Swell" setting on the L6 stuff, I want the staccato notes to be ignored by the delay and I also want control over how the long notes are passed to the delay. I'll post clips when I get it together.

Adam Stark

10. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

I realize that the VOLUME PEDAL is the way to go....but I like the easy of the DL4's auto swell...not it cheapness of it.

The Godlyke Volume pedal is awesome though! Some day my EB volume pedal is die, then I will purchase a Godlyke!

I look at a few SLOW GEAR's on eday...$200.00 for a one trick pony.....

The Guyatone seems like a great alternative..

The Moog...:BluesBros that would be awesome...

Thanks for the suggestions...keep them coming!

11. stark

stark Supporting Member

The appeal of the whole thing for me is that you can have a nice long echo and still be able to play the funk stuff without the delay getting in the way. A must when having the delay coming from the same speakers as the clean signal. I just want more control than a simple auto volume pedal.

Adam Stark

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I use a Walco Chord & Note Sustainer. It's loud, noisy and probably a fake pedal from the "1970s"... It boosts the volume a bunch, compresses the hell out of it, and when you hold a note, it starts feeding back almost, great for sustaining chords w/ organ tones. I paid like $20 for it.