A pedal to stack between blue note and velvet fuzz??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hippieboy, May 3, 2015.

1. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

I'm lookig for a pedal to stack between my blue note (low od) and my velvet fuzz, a mid gain Od that has a nice crunch, has a nice eq control, NOT high gain, not fizzy, and that pairs nice with my HSS american deluxe strat, with scn single coils and diamond humbucker.

The ones that i've considered are:
    Big Lloyde F-6
    AC Booster
    Royal Blue Od.

Any suggestion will be really appreciate it! :dude

2. Smashies

Smashies Supporting Member

I'd like to begin by saying to TGP "sorry, not sorry" that I've beaten a dead horse recently on my new obsession: treble boosters.

I would recommend either an AM Beano Boost, Keeley Java Boost, DAM Red Rooster, or Catalinbread Naga Viper. If you play an amp on the verge of breakup, or even clean, but you keep the blue note on, a treble booster is always worth trying out. They also play well with fuzzes before them. I do the same and I play to a slightly breaking-up amp and a guitar in HSS configuration like yours. Instead of the blue note, though, I use a KTR, though IIRC the blue note is a variation on a bluesbreaker pedal? If so, the beano will do well before it. Although not a mainstay pedal, Analogman makes a pedal called an "Acolyte" which is a beano before a PoT (bluesbreaker variant) in one enclosure. You may more likely know he makes the Sun Lion as well, which is a Sun Face Fuzz before a Beano in one enclosure. If you can't take it from me that Fuzz > TB > Bluesbreaker is magic, take it from Analog Mike himself. If he thinks its such a good idea to have a fuzz permanently before a treble booster to make a two-switcher out of that idea, and a good enough idea to have treble booster before a bluesbreaker circuit that he also makes a two-switcher out of that idea, using those three in tandem is worth trying.

EDIT: Of those TB pedals mentioned that have a good EQ control, you may want to look to the Naga Viper, Java Boost, OR (one I didnt mention at first), the Flynn Amps "Hawk" which boasts bass/middle/treble eq controls.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  3. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Thanks tbh i haven't even thought about a treble booster, i've never used one cause i like my sound a bit on the dark side, not saying that necessarily the TB are going to make it that much more bright sounding, cause i haven't tried one before, but that's what the name suggests to me. and that's what it has been keeping away from getting one, specially since its very difficult for me to test a pedal before buying. How do you describe a treble booster sound in this scenario ?