A pedalboard is just a custom multi-FX pedal

Jack DeVille

...with easily replacable algorithms, and a simple user interface. Those are the two key factors/differences for me, at least.
Like swapping out individual pedals on the pedalboard/custom multi-FX unit and "dedicated control knobs" for each effect?

:p

EDIT: Maybe we are saying the same thing?

Naigewron

EDIT: Maybe we are saying the same thing?
Yup, I believe we are ;)

A pedalboard is an open platform for me to chuck on whatever pedal I want, while a multi-FX is limited to whatever is available in the box. These days, that often includes a *LOT* of stuff, but definitely not everything.

And yes, multi-FX units are usually much harder to tweak, at least intuitively. Displays, menus, buttons, editors, USB hookups to your computer, phone apps...

Doomrider78

I often think about getting a mfx unit and then read posts talking about patches, menus, firmware, DSP, scenes etc and my eyes glaze over and I go back to looking at pedals.

This is coming from someone who embraces technology, particularly in my job. I just don't equate that with guitar playing.

Then there's the option paralysis thing as well, and all the over-the-top effects I'd never use.

I think my ideal way to scratch the mfx itch, would be something like the Fly Rig or the Mooer Black truck.

Tandark

I went from a 10 pedal, 2 row board to an HX effects.
Whilst I'm a huge fan of the HX effects, part of me longs for individual pedals again...

caledoneus

Yup, I believe we are ;)

A pedalboard is an open platform for me to chuck on whatever pedal I want, while a multi-FX is limited to whatever is available in the box. These days, that often includes a *LOT* of stuff, but definitely not everything.

And yes, multi-FX units are usually much harder to tweak, at least intuitively. Displays, menus, buttons, editors, USB hookups to your computer, phone apps...
There is truth in this, but on the plus side for multi effects, you can change multiple effects (turn them off/on, change the settings, ect) with one click of the footswitch, instead of having to try and tapdance your way through a short "break" in playing to change everything out. ;)

Naigewron

There is truth in this, but on the plus side for multi effects, you can change multiple effects (turn them off/on, change the settings, ect) with one click of the footswitch, instead of having to try and tapdance your way through a short "break" in playing to change everything out. ;)
Oh absolutely, the multi-FX pedals have some definite advantages, especially if you're a player who needs to cover a lot of ground, or changes sounds frequently throughout a song.

The "multiple effects on and off" part can be handled by a loop switcher, but to actually change parameters you'll obviously have to get something MIDI-enabled.

Riffa

With one major advantage (on my boards, at least): no darn displays... well except for those on tuners that is :rolleyes:

xcc

With one major advantage (on my boards, at least): no darn displays... well except for those on tuners that is :rolleyes:
Somebody needs to make an analog tuner. Maybe with Nixie tubes? I guess that’s still a display though.

JoeBatadatz

Had an HX-FX. Currently have a Fractal FX-8. Both fantastic platforms. But.....

When I show up to a gig, I always need to tweak something...a bit more of this, a bit less of that. No matter how "intuitive" an MFX is, it still requires some menu diving. Show stopper for me.

Can't bring myself to dump the FX-8, but it hasn't seen an actual gig in a loooooong time.

Trending Topics