A Pete Thorn video screwed me out of an awesome pedal

dumdums

I was trying to buy a pedal on reverb just now, and I sent the seller a link to a Pete Thorn video, where he demoed the pedal, and the the seller actually wrote to me to say that after watching the Pete Thorn video, he remembered how awesome the pedal sounded and took the listing down.

Lesson is: never show a seller a Pete Thorn video where he demos the gear you're trying to buy. He makes everything sound so good. He must be stopped.

SSeriously though, isn't it cool when a video from a musician can inspire people to KEEP their gear, especially in these times, where many people are strapped for cash? The guy on reverb probably never wanted to sell the pedal, but decided to free up some money, and he saw Pete's video and said, "Screw it...I'm keeping it because he reminded me how awesome it is". I just thought I'd share that, because I thought it was funny.

Pete Thorn really does do amazing demos though. The playing and tone are just so excellent. Session guys, hey?

SubApathy

Platinum Supporting Member
6kiw9w.jpg

dumdums

Why the hell did you send him a deadly video of Pete thorn playing the pedal!?
Yes, I realize it was stupid. It never occurred to me that videos from my favorite gear wizard could in some contexts be a negative thing. I just figured the seller was really familiar with the pedal and I only showed him the video to ask if his was in the same ballpark tonally, because the pedal was not the exact version and I know how much tone can vary from one pedal to another. I hate buying without hearing an example, so I felt it prudent to ask.

Pete Thorn could make a shoebox strung with old elastic bands sound awesome. I'll never use one of his demos in such a context again. Haha. I find it funny, though. At least the seller doesn't have to deal with the sadness of parting with a beloved piece of gear because he wanted cash. Some gear you just don't sell.

dumdums

That's like sending the ex-boyfriend of your girlfriend pictures of her and telling him "Why did you break up with her? See how good she looks!" and then wondering if he becomes a pita and wants her back... :D
This is exactly that. I realized it minutes after. I was so concerned with the tone of the pedal in question that I sent the seller the video to see if the fundamental tonal characteristics were similar between his pedal and the one in the video. I should have used a crappy video of the pedal instead of the PT video. I just never considered a seller cancelling a sale. When I go to sell gear, I wouldn't let a video of an astronomically better player than myself sway my decision. I can get good tones, but I can't play like that, so I personally wouldn't have let the video influence my decision to sell. Maybe the seller put it up in case he needed money and didn't really want to sell. I just thought it was a funny story.

maxbrothman

I was trying to buy a pedal on reverb just now, and I sent the seller a link to a Pete Thorn video, where he demoed the pedal, and the the seller actually wrote to me to say that after watching the Pete Thorn video, he remembered how awesome the pedal sounded and took the listing down.

Lesson is: never show a seller a Pete Thorn video where he demos the gear you're trying to buy. He makes everything sound so good. He must be stopped.

SSeriously though, isn't it cool when a video from a musician can inspire people to KEEP their gear, especially in these times, where many people are strapped for cash? The guy on reverb probably never wanted to sell the pedal, but decided to free up some money, and he saw Pete's video and said, "Screw it...I'm keeping it because he reminded me how awesome it is". I just thought I'd share that, because I thought it was funny.

Pete Thorn really does do amazing demos though. The playing and tone are just so excellent. Session guys, hey?

I doubt the seller thought that pedal was awesome. What is more likely is that Pete Thorn showed him how to dial it in or use it properly.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom