a POD or something else? (need very cheap modeler for rehearsal)

userphan

I can't afford to get a second amp at this time and don't want to carry my amp down to our rehearsal space every week anymore. I need a very cheap amp modeler that I can plug into our very capable rehearsal PA, dial up a passable amp tone, and run my pedals for changes.

Is an older POD my best bet or is there something else I'm completely overlooking?

Very small budget due to putting every extra penny towards house down payment.

charley

Gold Supporting Member
Maybe a Zoom G3 or G5? Or even cheaper, one of the Tech 21 Character pedals, especially if you already have a pedalboard you want to keep using.

dwolfggc

Maybe a Zoom G3 or G5? Or even cheaper, one of the Tech 21 Character pedals, especially if you already have a pedalboard you want to keep using.

+1 I have a Liverpool and a G3 and they both would work very well for what you want to do. I would probably give the G3 the edge because of the variety of amp models plus the effects, drum machine, and looper.

lazyrabbit

Get an old Boss GT (3 or 6), because then you don't need pedals or a foot controller. In any case (whether you bring the pedals or not) it will probably be a mess to run through the same system as the vocals (keyboards too?).

userphan

I definitely want to use my own pedal board. The modeler is just to give me a passable cleanish rhythm sound. That's how I use my amp too, with the pedals doing all the changes. That's why an older $50 POD seems attractive initially.

The PA is not a problem. We already mic my amp for the drummer's main.

shredmiyagi

More gain, better modeling: Zoom G3 ... $140 used

More cleans/fx: GT-6 or 8 ... $100-150 used

Blank modeling base for ext. pedals: Tech 21 Character Blonde, Liverpool, etc. $100-130

Decision done!

forgivenman

Silver Supporting Member
I love my Pod X3. I used it at church the other day and just loved the tones it put out.

kleydj13

Zoom G3 would be a great choice if you don't need lots of switchable effects at once. Amps sound good and it is really easy to use.

burningyen

RP155 is an option you should consider. Got mine for $50, it has the same quality as DigiTech's bigger units. I posted some demos on youtube.

Lele

I agree with Burningyen. The Digitech smaller devices should be considered for sure!
But for the RP155/255/355 I'd suggest only new units, and not second hand. The main circuit board has all the sockets welded on it directly, so after some time (it not used with a lot of care) it may be a little noisy. The bigger units RP500/1000 on the contrary have a much better durable construction concept.
The Rp355 is the most interesting of the smaller Digitech unit, because thanks to the 6 knobs you can adjust most parameters without the needs to connect it to the PC, that can be specially nice for the semi-parametric eq of the amp models.

Or you have the option of a pedal amp model, like the Tech21 Blonde, and its cheaper clones (Harley Benton American Sound and Joyo American Sound). It is nice for a quick access to the "knob editing".

gumtown

A small RP or a Boss ME-25, it's compact, can run on batteries and is programmable.
I sometimes use a Boss BR-80 micro recorder, it has MP3 file player , multitrack recorder and guitar multi effects (but no pedal input), and fits in your pocket.
Those tech21 character pedals are great too.

Wildwind

PODs take pedals quite well, much better than older Boss GTs (my last one was a GT6), don't know how Digitech/Vox are in that regard. And like someone else said, even the original 2.0 can still sound pretty good. Probably adequate and then some for your use and should be dirt cheap. A Pocket POD has 2.0 tones and runs a long time on batteries (won't take rechargeables, though), can probably get one of those real cheap.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom