A preserving your strings and keeping them clean tip I picked up.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock Fella, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

I was at the home of a master luthier a few days ago who was setting my R9 up to perfection , he said "jimmy, your strings are filthy " and gave me this tip to keep em fresh , alive and make them last longer.

He told me to take what we call in the UK a Jeyes cloth which is a home cleaning cloth but not one of those type that leave dust everywhere. Take a jar of lemon jiuce that you clean gtr necks with and sprinkle said cloth with it, then take a very very light oil like sewing machine or fishing reel oil and lightly sprinkle it on too. take the cloth and rub the sides together so the oil and lemon juice are well mixed together.

then take the cloth outside and leave for about 30 mins until both lemon juice and oil and well dried in.

after playing , take your cloth and wipe the top side of the strings, then thread it under the strings and pull up wards, clean the underside of your strings. when this is done, wrap the cloth over the the top side of the strings so as both top and bottom of strings are in contact with cloth.fold the rest on top so as it aint touching the body in any way and put the gtr in its case.

ive gigged with a new set of my usual Ernie Ball 10 gauges , had band practices and home practices too , the strings are spotless, the neck on my R9 is spotless too and those strings have plenty of life in them too.

im sure plenty of you guys know this , but I have found it to be an excellent way of keeping things spotless and getting that extra mile out of strings, the guy who told me is a pro and i find it to be very solid advice, as the cloth is dry, there is no danger of clogging up the fingerboard.
    :dude jimmy

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Lemon juice? Do people use lemon juice to clean guitar necks?

Bryan

3. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

bro, do you mean lemon oil ?

4. telemike

telemike Member

Fast Fret does the same thing.

5. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Not if they don't want their fingerboard to dry out. Might be OK on a maple or maple cap neck.

6. Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis Member

If you combined lemon juice and light oil, do you not end up with lemon oil?

I find just wiping my strings off thoroughly after playing extends the life as much as is practical.

7. monstermike

monstermike Member

The thing to do is to combine the lemon juice and the light oil with a bunch of garlic and possibly some basil.

Your strings may not be clean, but your pasta will taste unbelievable.

M

8. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I don't think so, but I've been wrong before.

Bryan

9. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

:D ...That was funny!

10. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

If I really need to clean my strings I just use these little Alcohol preps, They look like wet naps but they clean all the dirt off the strings nicely!

11. Den

Den Member

I use some lemon juice mixed with olive oil to brush on shrimp on the barbie ... now that's what I'm talking about! That tastes so good you won't care how dirty your strings are. :D

12. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

yep, its lemon oil , my mistake :p

pro tech said fast fret was junk cos i asked him about it, he definitely said stick with lemon oil mixed with light gun oil , means strings dont rust , dirt gets zapped, fingerboard clean strings retain life.

13. king-albert

king-albert Supporting Member

Thanks for the good tip! I'll have to give that a try.