A pro that plays large venues to stadiums asked me how to make his sound bigger...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aksman, Mar 5, 2008.

1. aksman

aksman Member

A friend who plays big venues/stadiums was wondering about getting bigger sound overall and what I thought (runs LP wireless into a board w/a crybaby, whammy, Fulltones, Bosses, and Line 6s into a DSL)... It's very poppy gothy/industrial area-rock kinda.

I said to use a clean boost at the end of his chain into the amp, specifically the RC Booster...

Thoughts? is this the way to go? other options, like the Radial impedence thing? better speakers/tubes? Advice?

2. stuey222

stuey222 Member

Crank some tube amps?

3. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Turn his mix up in the PA, get rid of the wireless, add more 4x12 cabinets, run two stacks in stereo, heavier gauge strings..........I'm talkin out of my butt cause I've never come close to that kind of gig but those are the common sense things that popped into my head. I can't believe he's not running a back line of smoking amps for gigs that big.

4. aksman

aksman Member

Ya, I'd want to crank that stuff too, but I am not sure that's quite doing it, and if you aren't headlining, I don't think you get much say in that stuff... plus the word "bigger" is so subjective. Think it means presence? or clarity? or warmer? no clue.

Was thinking about running stereo... but what are we talking? 2 heads coming from the Line 6 dl4 ? How about just dual cabs from 1 head?

The wireless isn't going away and they use in-ears so I don't know about PA stuff.

Is the RC Booster off-base? I love that with my little rig, and I saw that Robin Fink has the Micro Amp always on into his amps.

5. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Well a cheap $100 solution could be a simple BBE Sonic Maximizer at the end of his chain. Every setup is different though and what works for some doesn't for others.

6. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I was going to say the same thing. Never tried one myself, though. I would normally think that more speaker mass=bigger tone. More 4x12's and maybe some 15's. Who knows? I've never touched a gig like that either. Like to, though,

7. HHB

HHB Member

if I was doing that kind of gig I'd go wet-dry, I used to do that back in the 80s when I was a rockstar LOL, seriously, it's massive and he has the room to use it

8. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Direct to the board with no amp? LOL

9. burner

burner Member

Just a random thought...

I don't know what his basic sound is but when I learned to take more 'scoop' out of my sound, it got bigger.
    Boost the mids!!!!!

10. aksman

aksman Member

Ya, he scoops his DSL... maybe simple eq tweak could be the solution.

I like the idea of the Sonic Maximizer... but is that the same as a clean boost?

11. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

12. 89strat

89strat Member

Get rid of the wireless and boost up those mids.

13. OccTone

OccTone Supporting Member

Inflate his cabinets using a Bicycle pump, and pour brown gravy all over them, lol, just kidding:)

14. modulusrules

modulusrules Member

If they're running in-ears.......could be that. I'm told my rig sounds HUGE on a regular basis and I never sound the same with in-ears. Try taking one ear out. If it's in the house, then it might not be his problem. A friend of mine uses a rocktron tube pre-amp into his tube amps for that double tube goodness, but he also uses it on his acoustic. If all else fails, strap some bass shakers to his legs.....

15. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

+1

I'll bet the solution has more to do with subtracting things from the other player's sounds but ick, direct with a line 6... not a viable solution for me. In ear monitors... a quick way to hearing loss. At least he's asking the question. Depressing thought though, that is, not using a really nice tube rig. I would have to kill myself if I were him.

16. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

The Sonic Maximizer doesn't boost the volume that much (Just a little bit) - and it isn't necessarily transparent either. It allows you to fine tune the amount of Lower and upper "phase corrected" frequencies. To me it is like taking a blanket off your amp. It just adds clarity.

I have found it makes a profound difference in large areas where there is more space for sound to travel. It makes everything less mushy and more clear.

However, it does add treble, and as such you might have to roll down the tone on your other effects or amps. But after you have everything dialed in it really is an awesome little pedal.

If you have two amps, try running one amp with the Sonic Maximizer and one without - it really does adjust the phasing of the sound.

17. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Stereo amps will give the BIG tones, even at quieter levels.

18. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

That is the key. Heavier strings will give him more oomph too, Assuming he`s tuning normally, nothing lighter than a 10-52 set.

19. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

Tell him to call me and let me do his sound. . . . :AOK

He won't have to buy a thing except my time. . .

20. r080

r080 Member

Reverb in his monitor might help. Ears can make it seem pretty lifeless if you don't have any sort of ambiance.