A quality gig bag that won't break the bank?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by avincent52`, Jan 8, 2008.

1. avincent52`

avincent52` Member

I've been looking for a gig bag since my son appropriated the Levy's in which my Tele once resided.
    I'm in the Goldilocks predicament.
    I look at the $20-$30 ones at Guitar Center and other shops and I think they're too cheap.
    I look at the $250 leather bags from Levy's or Reunion Blues and think it's too expensive.
    What's the middle ground?
    I'm looking for something that's rugged, well-padded, and well-fitted to my guitar. I'm looking to spend maybe $60 or $70, but I don't have a strict budget as long as I'm getting what I pay for (and not paying for what I don't really need.)

Maybe I'm spoiled by the workmanship of my North Face and Mountainsmith backpacks or my Tom Bihn computer bag, but I haven't found the gig bag that offers high-quality protection without being over the top, the electric equivalent of a Geib or Harptone hardshell acoustic case.

I'm sure you good people have found nice homes for your solid bodies, so please share your insight.

best
    Allen

2. dave s

dave s Member

Levy's makes bags that aren't full leather and cost significantly less than the number you stated.

I have a Levy's double electric bag that I paid around $175, (IIRC) which hold two strats that are toted to every gig. Bag is plenty enough protection for me.

dave

3. Brien

Brien Member

Levy's non-leather.

4. empty71

empty71 Member

http://probag-net.com/

I have their A210 series and the quality's pretty close to Reunion Blues. The bags are hand made in Bolivia.

For some unexplained reason, their gig bags feels "lighter" than all other gig bags I've tried which is a huge plus :)

5. telemike

telemike Member

If you can find them, they are discontinued - Kaces Not Leather Gig Bags. I have two that I paid $35 for each. As good as any that I've seen and has backpack straps to boot. Sometimes they come up on eBay.

6. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

See if you can find a Ritter bag.

7. NoahL

NoahL Member

i bought a roadrunner for about $60. it's nicely padded, really well made, lots of pockets and the big pocket is actually a backpack that zips on and off. worth the money. got it at GC.

8. guitarcec

guitarcec Supporting Member

Never used it, but the Gig Skinz bags look pretty good. My bass player uses one and loves it. Right in your price range, too...

9. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

10. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I carry all mine in PRS gigbags..... well padded and well built. Fenders fit well in them also.....even my Les Paul fits....:BEER

11. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

12. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

The one that comes with the MIK Parkers, G&L Tributes, and PRS SEs is great (all the same bag with minor variations e.g. PRS' is grey, Parker's has only one shoulder strap) and relatively inexpensive. Around $60 I think, though what I'd really like is to figure out who make 'em and see if they have any plain white-label models...

13. phatster

phatster Member

I got a Body Glove brand several years ago{its the same company that makes suba gear!} and it is made to protect and last!Check e-bay,where I got mine.:dude

14. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

15. Lemuel.Tan

Lemuel.Tan Member

Not sure if you guys have heard of this brand, but check out Noah's Ark from Japan. I got two of those when I went to Tokyo last December. Amazing stuff, it is very well padded and has a sleek design. After conversion, one should cost about $90 if you are going to hand-carry it back like I did. :crazy