a question about amp stands

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GibsonMarshallguy41, Apr 18, 2016.

1. GibsonMarshallguy41

GibsonMarshallguy41 Member

I'm trying to find some kind of a collapsible box or stand that would be good for a 4x12 cab & head. I want something that will raise it up about 9 to 12 inches higher than what being on the floor.

I know most of the amp stands are mainly for combo amps, and since those are set at an angle facing upward, that's not something I can use. I'm looking for something that I can sit the head & cab on where its upright. and I need something that I can fold up or collapse so that it doesn't take up much room. any suggestions or recommendations?

something like this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgUsbtBW4AIf8-q.jpg:large

2. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

A 4x12 with a head is gonna be crazy heavy. I would have a hard time trusting a collapsible frame with all of that weight. My suggestions to you would be to use a 4x12 flight case as your stand. That way you get protection for the cab while you travel, it won't take up much more room than the cab would by itself, and it should be sturdy enough to hold all of that weight.

Washburnmemphis and MrLahey like this.
  3. GibsonMarshallguy41

a flight case for an amp head definitely makes perfect sense, and that would be my last resort if I can't come with anything else, but first I wanted to see if there was a slightly more affordable, AND a more compact option. aren't there wooden boxes that are available in separate panels, that you put together to make up the box, and then break it down when you're done? or maybe even a collapsible heavy duty working platform, or something along those lines.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  4. GibsonMarshallguy41

EDIT:
    I figured that the least expensive, most logical option for me will be a heavy-duty, collapsible 1-foot step stool. its not necessarily as elevated as I wanted (I was looking for at least a foot and a half), but for the price, a foot is do-able. there's one made by the Gorilla Ladders company that costs about 10 bucks each. they support up to a 300 lb. load. two of them should be perfect for what I need.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...ol-with-300-lb-Load-Capacity-GLP-1S/206618097

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  5. Grenville

Grenville Member

Milk crates and a small, cut-to-size black tarp to cover them, plus you can store cables and stuff in the crates.

S. F. Sorrow and Lewguitar like this.
  6. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

I agree with @Silent Sound I would be very hesitant to trust any collapsible product with that weight. Are you raising it up on stage or just in a basement to protect from moisture?

7. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

Yes.

8. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

Agree with the milk crates, they are so handy for transporting stuff and when covered with a black cloth they make great amp stands.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

This is the critical question. If you're touring with this, make sure you're getting a solution that has 0 chance of collapsing. If it's at home, then Gorilla shelving or something like it would be fine!

dwoverdrive likes this.
  10. demea26

demea26 Member

I've used black milk crates that I spray painted black to pretty them up. 2 side by side works just fine, but I also had the head in a rack at the time so the 4x12 was the only thing on the milk crates

11. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Yeah milk crates. Use two and keep the open side up so the wheels rest inside.
    Personally I'm no fan of tilted stands. Sure it's great for the guitarist but I've seen too many shows where it's barely audible to the audience.

12. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I used milk crates for stereo 4x12s with 8-12 space loaded racks on one of the cabs, they worked great.

13. GibsonMarshallguy41

the collapsible one-step stools that I mentioned claim to be able to bear up to 300 lbs of weight, and I'm using two of them. and I plan on using them for both rehearsal and playing shows (and by the way, we play maybe one show a month, on average. I'm not in a band that tours regularly). I'm not really using them to protect the amp from moisture. I'm doing it because I prefer the sound coming out closer to ear level, rather than my legs.

as for the milk crates, I currently have one that I use to keep cables, back-up pedals, fold-up stands and other assorted accessories. I thought about getting a second one to use to elevate my amp, but I like these step stools because they don't take up much space since they're collapsible. not only that, but to support the weight of a 4x12 cab & head, I'm not so sure that the crates would be able to hold up.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  14. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Can you just put the cab on top of the head?

15. GibsonMarshallguy41

TheoDog - please tell me you're joking.

16. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Crates would definitely hold up, but it looks like you found your solution

17. GibsonMarshallguy41

I was also trying to decide whether or not I wanted to take the wheels off my cab, but I'm fairly certain that with the one-step stools, they should fit in between the wheels. we have a show this Saturday night, so we'll see how well they work. I'm still not 100% sold on them, since they might actually be a tad bit shorter than what I wanted (they're only raising the amp 10 inches). if I find ever something fairly inexpensive that can elevate it up to about a foot and a half, that would be ideal for me.

18. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Is one foot higher really going to make that much difference?

19. GibsonMarshallguy41

riffmeister - I don't know. maybe, maybe not. we'll see... I originally only wanted to raise it by about 15 to 18 inches anyway... just enough to bring the sound coming from the speakers a little closer to ear level.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016