• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

A question about fender custom shop

Easy breezy

Looking into buying a CS 69 Stratocaster and i noticed something strange. The case is black with orange lining and no CS logo anywhere. Asked the seller if it's original and he claims it is.

I never saw a case like that from custom shop and I'd appreciate your help and insight. Thanks in advance!

GreenKnight18

I have never seen a custom shop specific case. I think they just use regular C&G ones or whatever they are called.

Easy breezy

I have never seen a custom shop specific case. I think they just use regular C&G ones or whatever they are called.
Yeah i do know that, but they always had a custom shop logo on the inside and this one doesn't, just want to see if seller is being honest or not cause if he isn't I'd rather buy elsewhere.

GreenKnight18

Oh, right. I get what you're talking about. Well, my case I got from FCS doesn't have the logo, but it's a Jag... so I doubt they have too many with that inside stitching.

That's something that would not concern me too much as long as I could see all of the certificates of authenticity. I don't care about the case as much as the guitar-- BUT, if you have doubts, go with your gut. Look elsewhere so you don't have to deal with that nagging question in the back of your head.

misterg71

The premier Hack Guitarist
Silver Supporting Member
I had a Custom Shop hardtail Strat that didn’t have a logo on or in the case either.

Johnms4

Silver Supporting Member
Think some Custom Shop guitars come with just regular G&G cases without the Custom Shop stitched logo and are suppose to be period correct looking. Think a lot of the Time Machine series ones have just the period correct cases (Tweed and orange, brown tolex and gold, black tolex with orange and etc.). You could always ask Fender for the build or spec sheet as that generally states what the case should be.

Easy breezy

Thank you guys very much for your help, he also told me it's not there because it's period correct but i wanted to ask before i proceed!

your name here

Silver Supporting Member
I went through this, having bought three ‘17 ‘63 Tele Relics that had two different styles of case. Two had black w/red plush and Custom Shop logos inside. The other had a plain black case w/no logo and orange lining. I called FCS, thinking the black case was incorrectly sent from the dealer, who insisted that the black case was stock.

What the FCS told me was that there isn’t a “correct” case for these team built runs. It’s down to the dealer to make the choice of case when ordering.

BoxWes

I have a 1970 Custom Shop Time Machine Strat with the same type of case. All black, orange inside, no custom shop stitching.

clmazza

Gold Supporting Member
I have a ‘69 CS Strat and it simply has a black with orange interior. No CS notation.

Rockin J

I bought a new custom shop strat and it shipped with a regular tweed case.
I contacted Fender and was told their case supplier couldn’t keep up with them on custom shop guitars.
But they offered to ship me the first custom shop strat case that came in no shipping charge. I got it really soon and they sent a prepaid label to ship back the tweed in the same box. They were great about it.
So some do come without CS cases.