A Question about New Jersey

joethepainter

It's Life, but not as we know it
Silver Supporting Member
New Jersey has a wide variety of terrain despite what you see on the Sopranos. I’ve talked to people who were shocked that there were more than two trees together in one spot. If you’re born to run, there are plenty of nice places to do so.
Heh. I'd say 90% of my work is in central NJ (Princeton, Hopewell, Lambertville, etc.).
Looks like more of Bucks Co., PA to me.
Which isn't a bad thing, at all.

runningman

you're clearly having some fun, but being a native of the Garden State, I will say that NJ is massively misunderstood and misrepresented in pop culture.

For such a small state, it's got a tremendous amount going for it. And I've been around the block a few times.

Most places in NJ are inside an hour to beautiful beaches, New York City, mountains, and Philly (although that could be seen as a negative...lol).

If you stretch it to 3 hours, you've got Boston, Baltimore, DC, Cape Cod, etc, etc.

And the weather is pretty moderate, all things considered.

Like anyplace else, it's got its issues and D-bags, but on balance it really does have a lot going for it.

aiq

Supporting Member
I enjoyed my 7 years there. I had moved there in ‘76 for my first escape from the deep south. I also enjoyed my best success there playing and I also quit playing full time at the end of my time there.

I moved back to the Gulf Coast to take advantage of job networking which outside of music I did not have in Joisey.

A great state IMO.

aiq

Supporting Member
No one ever says that...that came from the gangster movies in the 40s. There’s lots of offball way to say Jersey but that isn’t one of them.

FYI, it’s also the onlyist “new” state where you can drop the “new” and it doesn’t change anything. Can’t do that with New Mexico.
I imagine Curley Howard saying it like that. Many of my friends from there said it like that but only as an exaggerated parody. Kinda like I did.

Bieling3

I enjoyed my 4 hour drive from Philly to Cape May [my sum total experiance of the state, one weekend in a tourist town]. Lotsa farming going on. Definitely could use 3 or 4 Wegman's down there though.

Benz2112

Supporting Member
I would wage a guess that Bruce positioned the song as getting out of the small town, making the big time, and being a big wheel in a big city, as oppose to reasonable property taxes and a good school district. New Jersey doesn't have any good cities, the closest approximations are really just outskirts of NYC or Philadelphia.

Baba

Supporting Member
Another thing people don't know about Jersey is that North Jersey and South Jersey can be two totally different places, even though they are in the same state.

For example, they couldn't have casted Jersey Shore with people from South Jersey, that's totally a North Jersey thing.

Trending Topics