A Question about New Jersey

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by CRBMoA, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

It was just notorious, everywhere we went - especially around DC, Maryland, Virginia, Eastern Pennsylvania, Eastern West Virginia, and adjacent NYS: See a driver driving dangerously/inconsiderately/manically and the vehicle had Jersey plates on it - also, all down I-81 and I-95, in fact all the way to South Florida. Uncanny.

So my only query was, did considerate drivers from NJ rent a car without NJ plates and did some morons with no real connections to NJ happen to borrow a NJ plated SUV or car?

I am NOT an "after you, Alfonse" type driver and I drive a pretty brisk pace, myself. But these people seemed he!! bent on ruining the reputation of all NJ drivers, where-ever they happened to roam. When I shopped for used cars, I never bothered to look in NJ because I assumed the car had been tortured as usual. I bought one in Reading, PA and another in Alexandria, VA instead.

Bieling3 likes this.
  2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I have lived in NJ, Boston, and D.C.

Three different issues.

D.C.= most incompetent by far, spiked w so many lost out of towners.

Boston - cow paths made into roads now overwhelmed, very rude and hostile (and not particularly competent in many cases)

NJ- most skilled in some ways, greater volume means greater sheer numbers of incompetence and a-holes.

Boston was the worst.

Although I did get to use driving skills that would leave jaws dropped and risk a ticket when I did them in Seattle (eg, do a legal U-turn on a major downtown street (4th @ around Madison) and pull forward into a just- vacated parking meter space, with only minor correction needed).

:idea:dunno

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Tommy Biggs likes this.
  3. sws1

sws1 Member

I was hesitant to chime in on the driving topic...BUT, you nailed it exactly with this.

Jon C likes this.
  4. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

Bruce is Jersey and Jon wishes he could be Bruce.

5. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

It depends on which exit you're talking about.

6. RCM78

RCM78 Member

Mike’s not embellishing at all. The jersey shore is such a great scene! I’m proud to be a part of it!

MikeMcK and Tommy Biggs like this.
  7. Jollyb

Jollyb Silver Supporting Member

I grew up there. I left in 99' becuase of the taxes. Just couldn't get ahead. Bought a house in Florida bigger, half the price, more land and no State Tax.

That said.. when i was a kid living at home and not worrying about Taxes it was a great place to grow up. I have incredible memories.

Scrapperz likes this.
  8. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

South Orange?

9. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

Born, raised and lived most of my adulthood in NJ. Great place to grow up. Beautiful beaches and farmlands, great culture being so close to NYC. The cities are in ruin and trying to rebuild slowly. I escaped 3 years ago due to taxes, weather, cost of living and traffic. Great decision, but I miss everyone I left behind.

10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

...:idea love Bruce and even have a couple of mutual friends/contacts, but no, not me... maybe some other Jon (?) :YinYang

11. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Member

12. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I'm always amazed at the paradox that this is the state with the worst reputation and most disliked and yet the residents are probably some of the most proud. How many other places are there where it's very common for people have tattoos of their state on them? That's not counting all the pride stickers on cars, the clothing, etc. I think it's weird and don't buy into all that but you see it everywhere here. I've seen so many more NJ tattoos lately it's insane. Maybe Texas is the only other state where that happens?

13. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Texas is a good parallel.

The strange thing is, at least based on what I have seen, New Jersey is crazy diverse, from North to South with a bewildering variety of living settings - I mean, what you see when you look out the window. My first exposure was Vineland, and later I saw Newark, and with each successive environment I went into I was like "WTF?" how could this all be one state? And the NJ music IMO is like that, too. One area is Danny Gatton, another is Hip Hop and another is Klezmer.

Texas is also a lot more dis-associated from Lufkin to Austin, Paris to Brownsville, than most other states. And the music? The same thing. Which makes it so weird and ironic that there two Multiple Personality States would be so proud of a common Identity that I doubt really exists.

Jon C likes this.
  14. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

You are absolutely right on the diversity thing and it is pretty shocking if you were to just drive through the state in several areas. You have the southern kinda feel down south and some areas southwest feel like you are in Alabama, especially all the farmland areas. There’s the mountain towns of the northwest Appalachians which feel more like New England, the urban areas up north by NYC, the coastal shore towns have their own beach vibe going on, the Pine Barrens are an ecosystem totally unique to themselves, etc. I can’t comment much on the music, I only know the scene I roll in for the most part and am kind of oblivious to the rest.

15. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

They never said they wanted to leave the state.

16. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

What’s interesting is that there’s some division within the State of NJ. North and South are different due to the influences of NY and Philly. Some also debate whether there’s a Central Jersey or not.

North Jersey guys feel they know how to drive better than anyone else. I’ll keep my opinions to myself. :)

I just try to get along with everyone!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Scrapperz and DonaldDemon like this.
  17. thewalkingboss

thewalkingboss Silver Supporting Member

Yep. Great town.

18. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Ya sure he wasn’t Bosnian?

19. thewalkingboss

thewalkingboss Silver Supporting Member

North and South Jersey are different, but not the way you would think. They are split along what I call the "Taylor Ham/Pork Roll Line". It runs from approximately the Toms River Bridge over to Seaside Heights, diagonally across the state up to about the point where I-78 crosses the Delaware River. North and east, the meat is called Taylor Ham. South and west, it is Pork Roll.

20. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I grew up in Jersey and much prefer people talking straight and telling you to **** off in front of your face, vs. the dirty South where they greet you with a smile and end their sentences with "have a blessed day" while cursing you behind your back.
    I'm a stranger in a strange land now... weird.

QRSS, dez, BlackCheer72 and 1 other person like this.