A question about playing with my 1964 Fender Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mikeymoves, Jan 2, 2008.

1. mikeymoves

mikeymoves Member

I have an original Fender Deluxe from 1964. It sounds INCREDIBLE. I love it! I put a modded TS-9 and a stock 80's DS-1 with a wah and DD-3 and I have great tone! I know this may be silly, but how would a Pod sound through this amp? I love ALL music and my taste varies from Hendrix/SRV to Metallica! Obviously, as set up, I cannot get that shred tone (although, through this amp, the normally harsh and weak DS-1 sounds pretty boogie'ish). I like a variety of sounds. Any thoughts?

2. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Member

I've tried pods through my old Princeton Reverb and Marshall tube amps and they sounded like crap. You want a really CLEAN amp with LOTS of headroom -- perhaps even solid state would be best. Your old Deluxe ain't got much clean in there (thank God for that)...

3. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I gotta say the opposite is true in this case.

The Deluxe is a very clean amp.

'64 Deluxes (not Deluxe Reverbs) are clean clean clean!

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't. Pods, IMHO, impart a plastic feel to anything they're plugged into. And that interaction between your guitar and the amp is why you're using a vintage tube amp to start with. Pick up a pedal with enough gain to get you where you want to be-probably the Boss Heavy Metal pedal, modded by CMATMODS or other to take away some of the buzzy character is the cheapest alternative. I think BYOC sells a kit to do this if you're up for modding your own. Total cost less than $100 and it'll bury the high gain models in the POD IMHO.

5. mikeymoves

mikeymoves Member

well my thing is this: Since I don't have reverb, I was going to look at a Holy Grail or something along those lines and a Distortion pedal to swap with the DS-1. Since I was going to spend that money, I thought maybe getting a POD would be a good compromise, but I think a good verb pedal and swapping something the DS-1 for something else might be the best bet. BTW, the Deluxe is VERY CLEAN. Bubbly actually!

6. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

I mix FOH and I hate the sound of PODs or other modeling devices before tube amps. One friend puts a POD XTL in front of his 70s Twin and it sounds awful. I've been impressed with the sounds one particular guitarist gets out of his Flextone III with stomp boxes. Its not as good as using the "real thing" but nary an audience member would know. I think modeling amps are the way to go if you need stage output and modeling technology. PODs are designed more for the studio or private practice.

Just my $0.02.

7. mikeymoves

mikeymoves Member

Right now, EVERYTHING is private! I am talking for in the bedroom gadgets and toys!

8. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member