A question about Suhr Aldrich Humbucker

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by dead of night, Feb 26, 2009.

1. dead of night

dead of night Member

Hi. The Suhr Aldrich humbucker is described at Suhr's site as their "hottest" humbucking pickup. I am interested in a Suhr Classic with an Aldrich humbucker in the bridge position.

The issue is, I always play completely clean, with the guitar cord going straight into the clean amp.

Can a hot bridge humbucker sound good playing clean, without distortion?

How will this bridge pickup coalesce with the other two pickups, both Suhr FL single coils? How will the bridge humbucker sound split with the middle single coil?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

I absolutely love the Aldrich pickups. And yes, they sound wonderful clean with the volume backed off a little. That's why I love them so much. I've never heard another hot pickup that didn't lose clarity as the volume went down, although I am sure some exist. In any case, I don't think you could go wrong with these. I had a Suhr with an Aldrichbridge and two Suhr FL single coils. He has the balance really good. I only sold it to buy an LE modern, my favorite guitar of all time, with two Aldrich pickups. It has two split coil settings on it and they are superb. Typically I hate split coil sound.

3. Alpedra

Alpedra Member

Although it cleans well with the vol pot, the Aldrich is not a humbucker voiced for clean sounds. I donĀ“t know if I would recommend it to someone who "always play completey clean" ;). I think of it as an amazing rock pickup that can also get some great bluesy/smooth sounds if a person is willing to work a bit with the vol and tone pots.

There are other Suhr humbuckers more suited for clean sounds. Maybe something along the line of the DSVs or the SSVs?

On my guitar, the Aldrich splits nicely with the FLs.

4. dead of night

dead of night Member

Thanks for the replies. The information helps a lot.

5. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Just out of curiousity, do you mean you always play with a "clean" tone, you don't push the amp into break-up at all?

If so, why would you want that high output of a humbucker? The voicing of high gain pickups is rarely suited towards clean tones.

_TJK*

6. dead of night

dead of night Member

No, I almost always push the amp into break-up, however, I don't use any kind of effects or pedals. I guesss that's what I meant by a clean tone.

7. shoe

shoe Member

Hmmm, I think I would go with the SSV or DSV (even a DSH or SSH) to blend better with cleans than a Aldrich. Let's make sure we're comparing apples to apples here.

To some of us, playing clean is playing through a Twin or Deluxe reverb, possibly pushed with no effects.

To others, a clean sound has tons of compression, chorus, delay (i.e. 80's rack sounds). If that's your clean reference, then the pickup almost doesn matter.

I prefer the twin reverb or bassman type of clean sound (and then a Marshall overdrive sound)....to that point, I'd suggest a lower output pickup than the Aldrich.

8. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

You might reconsider your use of the term "clean." :cool: That definition won't work very well with most guitarists.

9. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Pure would be a better fit.

I have been interested in this pup for a while. I really want a modern.

10. Sikor

Sikor Member

I have S3 with 2 FLs and a SSH+ in the bridge.
    As John said, Aldrich is just 10% overwound SSH+.
    I like the sound very much, but the potential problem is,
    that SSH+ is so much hotter than FLs, it's like a booster engaged
    when switched to bridge. I like it, but You may not.

IMO Aldrich in Classic would be "too much".
    Especially when You want to play mostly clean.
    Less powerfull HB would be more appriopriate for that.
    YMMV

11. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

It will be way too loud for a nice balance with the FLs.
    Not to mention it can also be a little scratchy sounding in the clean .
    Why do you want a distortion HB for clean work ?
    Have you thought about a DSV and adjust the gains on your amp to suit.

12. dead of night

dead of night Member

Thanks again for the replies and info. Perhaps I'd better wait for a guitar more suited to my style. It's just that when you see a beautiful Suhr, it's hard to be objective!

13. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

I also recently recieved my new Suhr Pro S3 with the FL Standards and a SSH+ bridge. IMHO the SSH+ is too aggressive and loud for what I want. I am replacing the pickguard with a SSS cut out and installing a FL Standard Single Coil in the Bridge.

14. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

I'd recommend an SSV or DSV to properly balance with single coils into a clean (ish) amp. You set the bridge kinda low in the guard and you can make it balance really nicely then. That's what Landau uses too.

Like my favorite sushi chef says here in LA at Sushi Nozawa.... "Just Trust Me".

:)